PDA

View Full Version : Newbie wiring question.....

fogducker III
09-27-2009, 04:01 PM
OK, not a newbie by always been new to wiring and electrical stuff.....:nilly:

Thanks to Ken L. I got my new throttle/shift control and just trying to install. The old Merc 3000 series control had the kill switch incorporated into the unit, two purple wires, one with a white tracer.

I need to install a new seperate kill switch, I have this one laying around and can mount it in the new throttle/shift bezel that I will fab up.....problem I have is that it has THREE wires and different colours from the two purple that i suspect go to the ignition switch....:confused:

Question is, how and where do I hook the three wires from the "new" kill switch? There is a purple, black with white tracer and a black with yellow tracer.......thanks boys for any info.

PS. I know, crap pictures, I still have the DT's from my fishing trip with the brothers.....:boggled:

BUIZILLA
09-27-2009, 04:06 PM
look at Lenny's...

BlownCrewCab
09-27-2009, 06:40 PM
I think that it is two different kinds, the one with the purple wires just opens the Ignition circuit (it's usually all purple) and the 3 wire one is made to ground the coil. I like the open the purple better.

fogducker III
09-27-2009, 07:33 PM
look at Lenny's...

kinda hard to find Lenny at the best of times.....:lookaroun::wink:

MOP
09-27-2009, 07:35 PM
Not 100% on this but I think the black/yellow if for outboard setups that ust that to kill the pack. Put a meter across the purples and see it it breaks the circuit that will answer the question.

Phil

fogducker III
09-27-2009, 07:35 PM
I think that it is two different kinds, the one with the purple wires just opens the Ignition circuit (it's usually all purple) and the 3 wire one is made to ground the coil. I like the open the purple better.

Yup, two differnt ones....the old one was the two purple wires that went back to the dash, I suspect to the ignition switch...:confused:

The new one must do the same thing, just not sure which wire to hook where.....:boggled:

fogducker III
09-27-2009, 07:40 PM
Not 100% on this but I think the black/yellow if for outboard setups that ust that to kill the pack. Put a meter across the purples and see it it breaks the circuit that will answer the question.

Phil

Thanks Phil, that makes sense, the black/yellow was capped off, I am left with a purple and a black with white tracer so I will try purple to purple and black with white tracer to purple with white tracer and leave the black with yellow tracer capped....sound possible????

Now to just get the shift cable adjusted to the right length....:nilly::nilly::bonk::boggled::boggled:

fogducker III
09-27-2009, 07:48 PM
Multimeter is your friend..

I hear ya....I even have a good one a friend gave to me, a Fluke 12-B...problem is, no instructions and you have to know what wires to test and interpret the readings.....:confused:

This unit has settings that I don't understand and even a Google search does not bring up much...

Bottom line, I am going to hook it up as MOP suggests and see what happens....:crossfing:

fogducker III
09-27-2009, 08:28 PM
Set it to Ohms, connect it to both purple wires. When you trip the switch, continuity goes away. Use those wires..

...tanks....:wink:

The only problem is the two purple wires come from the igniton/dash area and the three wires mentioned are on the actual kill switch.....I know the two purple wires do their thing, everything was working when unhooked, I am just not sure which of the three wires on the new switch I hook up to the two purples....:confused:

Planetwarmer
09-28-2009, 01:47 AM
I thought that the way a kill switch works is by grounding out the ignition. I did a test on my kill switch, and when I pulled the lanyard the switch MADE continuity.

I figured it was like grounding out a spark plug on an old Briggs go-cart motor to kill it.

BlownCrewCab
09-28-2009, 06:08 AM
I thought that the way a kill switch works is by grounding out the ignition. I did a test on my kill switch, and when I pulled the lanyard the switch MADE continuity.

I figured it was like grounding out a spark plug on an old Briggs go-cart motor to kill it.

some are that way, some are not...

Ed Donnelly
09-28-2009, 12:09 PM
This is for your Fluke 12 B Still not a bad meter for Mexican........Ed

www.testquip.hu/termekek/fluke18.pdf

fogducker III
09-28-2009, 01:27 PM
This is for your Fluke 12 B Still not a bad meter for Mexican........Ed

www.testquip.hu/termekek/fluke18.pdf (http://www.testquip.hu/termekek/fluke18.pdf)

Thank you Ed, for the life of me I could not find anything like that....:confused:

I guess I need to brush up on my Google skills....:wink: