PDA

View Full Version : A big thank you to Big Griz and Mark Horne

fegettes
09-26-2009, 01:15 AM
A big thank you to Big Grizz and Mark Horne. I was at Possum Kingdom this last weekend and launched my boat, only to find a water leak on my CMI header where the flapper arm passes through the Y pipe. And the leak was significant enough that with increased RPM’s, the leak began to spew to the point that it would not be worth running the boat. Big Grizz said that the leak could be stopped by taping it. Now, I am thinking how the heck can you tape some thing on the outside to stop an internal positive pressure. Sorry, but I am feeling a little apprehensive of this repair. Big Grizz said that the little convenience store/gas station there at Bass Hollow sold the tape, known as “Rescue Tape”, just give it a try. So, why not, after all, I did drive 12 hours to get there to run my boat with some of the finest members on this site, and I bought the tape. Mark Horne took control and knew what to do, and proceeded to wrap several lengths of tape around the flapper arm where it passes through the Y pipe making a tight seal. The next step was to back the boat back in to the water and give it try. Amazingly, there was no leaks period, even under power. I am impressed. And now I have a new addition to my tool bag, Resuce tage. I had no idea there was such a tape in existence. Big Grizz said that he has used it on hoses to stop a leak with success.

Steve

CHACHI
09-26-2009, 06:08 AM
Mr. Donnelly used rescue tape on his Critter at the 1K event. Stopped his leak also.

Ken

Barry Eller
09-26-2009, 06:39 AM
Is Rescue Tape similar to 200 mph NASCAR duct tape?:confused:

Or is it brand specific?

CHACHI
09-26-2009, 08:24 AM
Barry, it is not. 200MPH tape is what I would consider duct tape.
Resuce tape "bonds" to it self. The stuff Ed used had no cloth in it like duct tape.

Ken

Ed Donnelly
09-26-2009, 08:52 AM
And when Ken passes through Toronto again, Dinner is on me
Well not exactly "on me" we will eat at a table

Carl C
09-26-2009, 09:28 AM
The only tools I carry are a leatherman's tool (real one!) and a roll of duct tape.

BUIZILLA
09-26-2009, 09:35 AM
i'd like to see you get a prop off with a Leatherman.... :boggled:

BigGrizzly
09-26-2009, 10:12 AM
The only tools I carry are what I can stuff in all the compartments of the Criterion or Corsican. I have even been known to carry booster cables and belts. Every trip I find something else I need and do not carry. Garry said I could go over 100 mph if I took all the stuff out and ran low on fuel:pimp::pimp: Steve It eas our pleasure to get you on the water. Sorry I was not physical help. BTW thak Hawk rocks

Carl C
09-26-2009, 10:21 AM
i'd like to see you get a prop off with a Leatherman.... :boggled:

No spare prop on board anyway!

I DO have unlimited towing insurance!

roadtrip se
09-26-2009, 11:25 AM
but they have to find you first...

I keep a bright orange dive box that is sealed when closed.

It isn't that big, but has a full McGyver kit in it including things like this tape, which I have seen called a million things, hose clamps, tie wraps, duct tape, a hammer, pliers, adjustable wrenches, screw drivers, and a bunch of other crap. Funny thing, I have used the kit more to help others out on the water than on my own stuff. There was that pesky little starter solenoid that received a hit or two.

I can't believe how many performance boats leave the dock with nothing to help them get back to the docks, if something happens.

Now Griz on the other hand takes it to the opposite extreme... I do miss riding up front with all of the gas cans...

Carl C
09-26-2009, 12:23 PM
Maybe I'll put something together. This boat has been really reliable though except for the time I grounded it and plugged up the heat exchanger with crud.:crossfing:

CHACHI
09-26-2009, 04:50 PM
And when Ken passes through Toronto again, Dinner is on me
Well not exactly "on me" we will ear at a table
And that pass thru will be for 4 nights the first weekend in December.

Looking forward to it.

Ken

Cuda
09-26-2009, 07:59 PM
No spare prop on board anyway!

I DO have unlimited towing insurance!
I carry a sealed tool box, but if you don't know how to use the tools, the towing insurance would be of more use. I hate sitting there half a day waiting for a tow, then breathing diesel fumes while it tows at about 4 knots. :(

Carl C
09-26-2009, 08:58 PM
I carry a sealed tool box, but if you don't know how to use the tools, the towing insurance would be of more use. I hate sitting there half a day waiting for a tow, then breathing diesel fumes while it tows at about 4 knots. :(

The one time I needed them TowBoatU.S. was there in twenty minutes. We contacted them first by phone and then by vhf as per instructions. I gave them my exact co-ordinates. They towed us at almost 20 mph for about 30 miles total. We stayed in touch with the radio and downed a couple of beers. It was no fun but not a huge deal either.

farmer tx
09-26-2009, 10:14 PM
Steve it was good to see you again. Sorry Melinda was sick and all, but she did get her rest. I hate to say this but that was the first time I have ever seen, or heard of, rescue tape. That stuff will streach a mile and will NOT brake. You are welcome for the help. I hate to see someone travel that far and not be able to run their boat.

Take care,
Mark

Cuda
09-27-2009, 12:25 AM
The one time I needed them TowBoatU.S. was there in twenty minutes. We contacted them first by phone and then by vhf as per instructions. I gave them my exact co-ordinates. They towed us at almost 20 mph for about 30 miles total. We stayed in touch with the radio and downed a couple of beers. It was no fun but not a huge deal either.
That must have been some tow boat.

Carl C
09-27-2009, 07:11 AM
[quote=Cuda;540271]That must have been some tow boat.[/quote

It was a good size Lake Erie towboat. The one that pulled us into the river was a lot smaller and slower. They bill by the hour and by towing about 2 mph. He wanted to get a fat check and get home and I was fine with that! We radiod him that we were doing great back there at 20 mph:). Not something I want to do again though! My worst nightmare is capsizing and losing all the electronics. I need a water tight orange box like Todd mentioned.

Cuda
09-27-2009, 08:45 AM
[quote=Cuda;540271]That must have been some tow boat.[/quote

It was a good size Lake Erie towboat. The one that pulled us into the river was a lot smaller and slower. They bill by the hour and by towing about 2 mph. He wanted to get a fat check and get home and I was fine with that! We radiod him that we were doing great back there at 20 mph:). Not something I want to do again though! My worst nightmare is capsizing and losing all the electronics. I need a water tight orange box like Todd mentioned.
Go back and reread post 13. I carry a watertight tool box also, which just happens to be orange.

If a tow boat operator pulled me at 20, first I'd slice the tow line, and when he came back to see what was wrong, I'd slice his throat! :eek:

Who cares how long it takes if you have towing insurance? I'd just prefer not to be towed at all. I was 25 miles from where I launched the Minx and it died. I called SeaTow, and they sent out a tow boat. I had them tow me three miles to the nearest bar, then called my neighbor and had him come up to Astor, and give me a ride back to my truck and trailer. :)