PDA

View Full Version : How did it all start.

lars
09-25-2009, 07:19 PM
As kids my brother and I used to make boats out of left over pieces of wood by our father. We'd nail them together, attach a thin 10 feet line to them and attach the line to a couple disgarded bamboo fishing poles and then we'd pull them along our docks for hours and hours at the time. I think we easily logged more hours on those than our present boats!
The boats over the years looked more and more like the real ones. We made copies of the favourite taxi boats, ferries, Bertrams, any race boat and of course The King's Magnum 35. I know for a fact that we didn't know what a Donzi was. Even though it was the 60's and early 70's nobody imported them for some reason. Well a couple of years ago my brother and his son went home to Sweden to visit ' Grandpa' for a few precious weeks and my nephew dug out a couple of the little boats out of a storage somewhere. One flybridge which I remember making after falling in love with a Bertram 28 Flybridge I had seen and another one I had made out of foam plastic, ducktape and then painted green. Remenbered the green one clearly 'cause I got lectured by my father for using the 'expensive' tape, but then he complimented me on that one and said it looked like a real good design. In retrospect I think that was as close to a Donzi classic I ever made as a kid without knowing of their existence.
Found a sweet looking 55" Scarab R/C boat on eBay today that reminded me about those good times. Both my brother and I lobbied Grandma for an R/C boat when we got a little older, but she didn't cave in unfortunately.
What do You guys have left from the wonder years as far as "classic boats"?