PDA

View Full Version : Time to change spark plugs?

cherry82482
09-23-2009, 08:50 PM
I need some advice, I'm currently winterizing my boat and thinking about changing the spark plugs. (No issues running, just thinking about proper maintenance) The 2004 496 Ho has the original sparks plugs in it. Boat has 202 hrs on it. Any thoughts?

mrfixxall
09-23-2009, 09:20 PM
I need some advice, I'm currently winterizing my boat and thinking about changing the spark plugs. (No issues running, just thinking about proper maintenance) The 2004 496 Ho has the original sparks plugs in it. Boat has 202 hrs on it. Any thoughts?

after you run the premix(gas & 2 cycle oil mix)through the injection system then follow with engine fogging oil then change them..

Planetwarmer
09-23-2009, 10:25 PM
after you run the premix(gas & 2 cycle oil mix)through the injection system then follow with engine fogging oil then change them..

Huh? 2cycle oil?

mrfixxall
09-23-2009, 10:53 PM
Huh? 2cycle oil?

Yeppers!!! remove fuel filter,drain it refill with fuel almost to the top add 2oz of 2 cycle oil,put hand over the top of filter, shake it up,reinstall filter,run engine with flame arrestof off raise idle start fogging through throtttle body,turn off engine,spin off filter,replace with new filter then replace sparkplugs..when im boing all of this im usually pumping antifreeze through the engine or the heat exchangers and ps/oil cooler with a big tank with a bilage pump forcing the antifreeze through the engine..a bit over kill but my customers never have any problems with freezing..

Planetwarmer
09-23-2009, 11:33 PM
Yeppers!!! remove fuel filter,drain it refill with fuel almost to the top add 2oz of 2 cycle oil,put hand over the top of filter, shake it up,reinstall filter,run engine with flame arrestof off raise idle start fogging through throtttle body,turn off engine,spin off filter,replace with new filter then replace sparkplugs..when im boing all of this im usually pumping antifreeze through the engine or the heat exchangers and ps/oil cooler with a big tank with a bilage pump forcing the antifreeze through the engine..a bit over kill but my customers never have any problems with freezing..

What is that a pic of? Do you use the ear muffs when you are pumping the a/f through the motor with the bilge pump?

axelkloehn
09-24-2009, 04:22 AM
I hate that you guys are already discussing winterizing issues, right now we still have indian summer here with temperatures in the mid 70ies- but when this ends it really goes fast with low temperatures and snow.... brrrrrrr.

Do not want to think about it that the north-german winter lasts at least till april next year :boggled::boggled::boggled:

Enjoy your last warm days and the sun!! Cheers, Axel :germany:

CHACHI
09-24-2009, 05:53 AM
Huh? 2cycle oil?
I store all my 4 cycle stuff with premixed fuel.

In 30 years I have never had a carb varnish issue from seasonal layup.

Never had any plug issues either.

Ken

mrfixxall
09-24-2009, 09:27 AM
What is that a pic of? Do you use the ear muffs when you are pumping the a/f through the motor with the bilge pump?

that would be my antifreeze tank,bilage pump goes onder the little piece of 2x4 in the corner hooked to a jumper pack,tank is angles so all the antifreeze goes twards the bilage the recirculates through engine whyle the engine is running..the high part of the tank is for the boats with through transm exhaust..

fasttrucker
09-24-2009, 12:13 PM
I would wait till spring to change them.

Tony
09-24-2009, 03:53 PM

I do a similar method as above.
mrfixxall, 2 oz. of 2 cycle is all that is needed, right? No Marvel Mystery Oil, no injector treatment, or any other such cocktail ingredient? And...no fogging necessaary with an EFI, right?
Thanks!

:beer:

joseph m. hahnl
09-24-2009, 04:13 PM
I do a similar method as above.
mrfixxall, 2 oz. of 2 cycle is all that is needed, right? No Marvel Mystery Oil, no injector treatment, or any other such cocktail ingredient? And...no fogging necessaary with an EFI, right?
Thanks!

yes he's fogging at the same time. Note* I would change the plugs in spring after you burn out the foging oil:wink:

mrfixxall
09-24-2009, 04:26 PM
yes he's fogging at the same time. Note* I would change the plugs in spring after you burn out the foging oil:wink:

i install them because it save them the trip back to the shop,some of my customers are as far as 200+ miles from me.

now on my own stuff i go as far as loosining the rockers so theirs no pressure on my valve springs and the valves are all the way closed..

Pismo
09-24-2009, 05:05 PM
add a little stabil to the separator cocktail as well.

MOP
09-24-2009, 08:11 PM
IMO do your layup and spring start up with the old plugs, get all the fogging mess out of the engine then start your season with the new plugs.

cherry82482
09-24-2009, 08:39 PM
I have made a decision. I'm going to install the new spark plugs after I fog the cylinders. Since the engine is EFI I can't fog the engine through the carb like many of you can. I figure that the fogging oil can't effect the spark plugs once I have already sprayed the fogging oil. Plus I'm lazy and don't want to remove the plugs again in the spring.

Now to my next subject. I can't believe there are so many different ways people winterize boats. I thought the directions were as follows.

(1) Add fuel stablizer and fill gas tank to full to keep moisture out (2) Change oil and filter (3) Change lower drive fluid, (4) Change fuel filter, never heard of pouring 2 cycle oil into filter and running engine (5) drain engine block of water by removing blue drain plugs (6) Install ear muffs and gravity feed 5 gallons of RV antifreeze through engine while running (7) If you have a carb engine, fog at the same time as running RV antifreeze through engine (8) Pull spark plugs and spray fogging oil in cylinders.

Planetwarmer
09-24-2009, 10:40 PM
What is the point of the 2stroke oil?

CHACHI
09-25-2009, 06:19 AM
What is the point of the 2stroke oil?
I use 2 cycle oil instead of fogging oil because two cycle oil is a heavier oil (30 wt or heavier) than fogging oil (10 weight).
The heavier the oil, the longer it takes to drain off of vertical surfaces. I don't worry too much about horizontal surfaces.

I was told not to fog my EFI, so premixed fuel is easier.

In a carb engine, the oil is left behind in the carb to prevent the residue from the evaporated fuel from gumming up jets and seats, as it leaves a film on all surfaces.

When you re-start in the spring, the fresh fuel just mixes with the residual oil and it gets burned.

I first noticed this on my dirt bikes, how after seasonal layup I never had to clean the carbs.

Ken

gcarter
09-25-2009, 07:25 AM
What's this winterizing crap??????
It's just getting close to the beginning of boating season here.
Come on October!:wink:

RedDog
09-25-2009, 08:09 AM
What's this winterizing crap??????
It's just getting close to the beginning of boating season here.
Come on October!:wink:

Don't you need a running boat to go boating :wink:

BlownCrewCab
09-25-2009, 08:45 AM

Damn, why not just punch him in the head (j/k)

gcarter
09-25-2009, 09:35 AM
I can sit in the seat, hold the wheel in my hands and make "Vroom Vroom" sounds......and not be cold! :wink:

BigGrizzly
09-25-2009, 09:42 AM
actually if the boat sits for more than 3 weeks it should be fogged even if kept warm- don't ask how I know:yes::yes:

Tony
09-25-2009, 10:14 AM
add a little stabil to the separator cocktail as well.

Would an ounce be a "little" Stabil?
Is this in addition to the Stabil already in the fuel tank?

mrfixxall
09-25-2009, 11:31 AM
my personal boats,the tanks are drained(no fuel) fuel sock goes in the neck and the over flow gets sealed off so no moisture gets in the tank..ive been doing this for 24 years,i still have the oe steel tank in my boat with no issues:crossfing:my customers either get seafoam or sierra stabal,their choice but the seafoam costs more..

Carl C
09-25-2009, 12:39 PM
that would be my antifreeze tank,bilage pump goes onder the little piece of 2x4 in the corner hooked to a jumper pack,tank is angles so all the antifreeze goes twards the bilage the recirculates through engine whyle the engine is running..the high part of the tank is for the boats with through transm exhaust..

Spelling PoPo, we have an emergency here.....:nilly:

joseph m. hahnl
09-25-2009, 01:32 PM
actually if the boat sits for more than 3 weeks it should be fogged even if kept warm- don't ask how I know:yes::yes:

When I was in Vero last week. I read an article in the periodical fishing digest they have down there"FL" The humidity in Florida is so great, they said 1."one" "Uno" yes that is ONE week for Phase separation to occur in ethanol fuel:shocking:. And Georgia AIN'T to far from there neither:kingme:

mattyboy
09-25-2009, 04:16 PM
my personal boats,the tanks are drained(no fuel) fuel sock goes in the neck and the over flow gets sealed off so no moisture gets in the tank..ive been doing this for 24 years,i still have the oe steel tank in my boat with no issues:crossfing:my customers either get seafoam or sierra stabal,their choice but the seafoam costs more..

Mr Fix the X has steel tank or is it bare alum????

yes the dryer the possible no fuel in the tank or lines with ethanol.
seperation has happened twice in my car already