PDA

View Full Version : New Mercury Big Block on the way...

roadtrip se
09-23-2009, 02:16 PM
From Trade Only Today...

Big-block Mercury available in January
Posted on September 22, 2009

Mercury MerCruiser's newly developed big-block engine will be available early next year, the company announced today.

The 8.2-liter gas engine, which replaces the 8.1-liter model, will be available in sterndrive and inboard configurations. The catalyst version will be available Jan. 1, while the non-catalyst model is scheduled for release in mid-2010.

The engine produces more power and has better midrange acceleration, lower emissions and excellent fuel efficiency, according to the company. With base (380 hp) and high-output (430 hp) ratings, it is compatible with such MerCruiser options as the Axius sterndrive system with joystick control, the SmartCraft engine monitoring system, and SeaCore corrosion protection.

It runs on 87 octane fuel, and the catalyst allows for ultra-low exhaust emissions, virtually eliminating exhaust odor, according to the company.

"Not only did the team achieve superior performance while adding a catalyst, they maintained fuel efficiency and improved serviceability without adding cost," Mercury MerCruiser project manager Derric Drake said in a statement.

The Hedgehog
09-23-2009, 02:47 PM
From Trade Only Today...
Big-block Mercury available in January
Posted on September 22, 2009
Mercury MerCruiser's newly developed big-block engine will be available early next year, the company announced today.
The 8.2-liter gas engine, which replaces the 8.1-liter model, will be available in sterndrive and inboard configurations. The catalyst version will be available Jan. 1, while the non-catalyst model is scheduled for release in mid-2010.
The engine produces more power and has better midrange acceleration, lower emissions and excellent fuel efficiency, according to the company. With base (380 hp) and high-output (430 hp) ratings, it is compatible with such MerCruiser options as the Axius sterndrive system with joystick control, the SmartCraft engine monitoring system, and SeaCore corrosion protection.
It runs on 87 octane fuel, and the catalyst allows for ultra-low exhaust emissions, virtually eliminating exhaust odor, according to the company.
"Not only did the team achieve superior performance while adding a catalyst, they maintained fuel efficiency and improved serviceability without adding cost," Mercury MerCruiser project manager Derric Drake said in a statement.

Is that a 502 block?

BUIZILLA
09-23-2009, 02:49 PM
virtually eliminating exhaust odor what odor?

The Hedgehog
09-23-2009, 03:06 PM
what odor?

I think that it smells good. That is if you have to put in a little race gas!

Air 22
09-23-2009, 05:03 PM
430HP?....Needs a whipple or procharger...:pimp:

Carl C
09-23-2009, 06:32 PM
Is this the replacement for the 496? Like Hedge asked, is it 502 based?

Pismo
09-23-2009, 06:33 PM
Back to the 502, thank god....

Carl C
09-23-2009, 06:38 PM
Here is the item. Not a lot of info though:

http://www.tradeonlytoday.com/home/499392-mercury-mercruiser-introduces-new-engine

I can't find anything to indicate that it is 502 based but I guess it must be. I'm glad I took your guy's advice and lost my 496:).

The Hedgehog
09-23-2009, 06:43 PM
Back to the 502, thank god....

502's RULE

RickSE
09-23-2009, 07:19 PM
Why in the heck won't Merc. go to the newer GM LS motors?

BlownCrewCab
09-23-2009, 08:05 PM

Amen....I was The BIGGEST FAN Ever of the Gen 1 Small Blocks & Big Blocks, Thought Chevy was Stupid for ever Changing Course and going to the Ls Based motors----> Until I started to Mess with them, They are so far better than the old Gen1 stuff it aint even funny. Now I'm a Ls Fan:shades:.( I Guess I'm easily Distracted:lookaroun:) Really, They are Badazz, and Chevy knew what they where doing all this time, go figure..

CHACHI
09-24-2009, 06:06 AM
I think that it smells good. That is if you have to put in a little race gas!
Premixed with Castrol R....

Ken

Pismo
09-24-2009, 06:47 AM

I am sure they will eventually in their small block line.

handfulz28
09-24-2009, 08:59 AM

Because they're so heavily invested in the old stuff, it still works, so that gives them huge margins.

Think about it: the LS platform has been in production since 1996 (for '97 C5) and the first 6.0L went into the trucks in '98-99. So Merc has had 13+ years to figure it out. But I'm sure the bean counters have stopped them in their tracks because there's not enough sales volume to justify the R&D across the company. And now we've hit an economic wall especially on recreational products, there's no way they'll invest in a project that will cost more to the consumer.

BigGrizzly
09-24-2009, 09:50 AM
Now lets all remember in the early1970s for you younger people-Air22- people including me fought against the cat converters. Truth since that day an engine has not been built that has not been better then before. More power better mileage, etc. We are getting more power from smaller engines. Heck if I knew then what I know now I would have been a champion instead of an also ran. I have more HP in my boat today than my race car back then. This is an old project that was not mainstream for a while. BTW the LS motor is not dead in any way shape or form.

roadtrip se
09-24-2009, 10:09 AM
In the shape they are in I am surprised they finished this project..

because I have had such great experiences with it, but to Poodle's point, Mercury really tested my patience on this re-rig go-around. I especially loved their, let's lower the MSRP and cost by 50%+ sticking your dealers with high priced inventory, and then not build any of the new part number pissing off your loyal customers like me game, they just played with transom assemblies. I spent several weeks searching for the HD transom assembly config I wanted because nobody had it and Merc wasn't building it, just backordering it until eternity. I would have never received it had Mark at BAM not gone ahead an honored the new price on an old part number. Clowns.

blackhawk
09-24-2009, 10:54 AM
Let' just hope the block doesn't say "Made in China" on it!

Barry Eller
09-24-2009, 12:54 PM
Does anyone know for sure if this new 8.2 L is based on the Gen VI 8.2 L/502 CID engine?:confused:

fasttrucker
09-24-2009, 02:37 PM
yes 502.GM is not making the 496 anymore so...........

Pismo
09-24-2009, 05:06 PM
Does anyone know for sure if this new 8.2 L is based on the Gen VI 8.2 L/502 CID engine?:confused:

No idea, and you can't assume anything..

Carl C
09-24-2009, 05:30 PM
yes 502.GM is not making the 496 anymore so...........

That is the million dollar question! The 525 is based on the 502 so it would make sense that the new production motor is also. But since the 502 has been available all along why did Mercury even fool around with the 496:confused:?

HOWARD O
09-24-2009, 06:31 PM
Now lets all remember in the early1970s for you younger people-Air22- people including me fought against the cat converters. Truth since that day an engine has not been built that has not been better then before. More power better mileage, etc. We are getting more power from smaller engines. Heck if I knew then what I know now I would have been a champion instead of an also ran. I have more HP in my boat today than my race car back then. This is an old project that was not mainstream for a while. BTW the LS motor is not dead in any way shape or form.

My next door neighbor moved her elderly father to her home a few years ago so he may spend his last days with his family. I didn't know much about the history of the catalytic converter and what it did for air quality until I learned that this old man, Carl Keith, was the co-inventor of the 3-way cat converter. Prompted me to google him and learned a bit about the cat converter's history.

Needless to say, my next door neighbor is LOADED now. :yes:

Pismo
09-24-2009, 06:38 PM
Regardless if it is exactly 502, I hope it is back to a 4.47-4.50 bore type setup instead of the 4.25. Losing that .25 seems a waste...

farmer tx
09-24-2009, 08:21 PM
It makes sence now. I heard a few weeks ago that Merc. bought the 502 tooling back when GM was reorganizing.:crossfing:

Dr. David Fleming
09-24-2009, 09:18 PM
youse guys with 496 better start saving the parts and pieces because its going to be harder to get everything....502 been around since forever. Making your own stuff custom is expensive.

Dr. d

BigGrizzly
09-25-2009, 09:09 AM
Tex just curious, with what money? Funny is that GM and merc had a falling out because Merc went around GM to buy the blocks. What people have found out is that the 502 like the old 327 will and has lead to bigger and more usable power. At this point the clean air thing is relatively easy., Just keep the O2 sensors and converters dry. With the regs of today they can do it with just the ECU and O2 sensors, an intelligent one that is.