PDA

View Full Version : Donzi 16C Garden Planter !

silverghost
09-22-2009, 10:10 PM
A friend in Maryland just phoned to tell me that he spotted an old Donzi 16C along a river that was turned into a riverfront decorative garden planter !
He says you can clearly see the Donzi name on the aft side.
The now sad blue Donzi 16 is now sitting partially in the ground near the river bank with flower plantings growing out of the cockpit! Large rocks & small shrubs & marsh grass were placed around the hull and a 20' long flowerbed surrounds he Donzi !
There is an also old boathouse & boatshed nearby!
This former farm has a 1500' water frontage with a Mac Mansion where the farmhouse once stood!
I guess the new owners thought this would be a "Fun Idea" ?

OH Brother~
Is this what it has come to with the value of these 40 year old Donzis ?
Another Donzi indignity !

I have seen old Ocean City NJ beach surf lifeboats turned into city owned decorative planters on 16th street near the lagoon area. Some are wood lapstrake and are slowly rotting away!
Also I have personally seen smaller all open rowboats, riding lawnmowers, carriages, farm tractors, giant Case steam tractor, sleighs,plows, etc used as garden decorations~
Once upon a time in Atlantic City NJ at the famous Captain Starns restauraunt there was the bow & 1/4 hull of a once proud commercial fishing boat attached to the retauraunt building!
Also~
Years ago I also saw a billboard with an old mahogany Chris~Craft speedboat placed to look as if it had crashed through it!
Also in the 50s a surplus P38 lightning fighter plane was placed as if crashing on the roof of a real log cabin Bar & Grill.
(that now very rare WWII fighter plane would be worth 1-2 Million $$$ ++ today
as only a handfull still esist!)
I have seen many strange things in New Jersey like the giant Lucy The Elephant in Margate NJ~
But never a speedboat garden planter~
Especially a Donzi !
What do you think about this?
What other strange things have you seen used as garden decorations?
Brad Hunter

My buddy will try to get us cellphone photos when he passes by again soon.
I am not looking foreward to seeing this sad sight!

AIRGRADY
09-28-2009, 01:50 PM
Garden planters, paperweights... whats next!

MOP
09-28-2009, 02:47 PM
Sounds like a restoration gone wry! Get out your night vision and shovel we will rescue it!

DonziFreak
09-28-2009, 07:24 PM
Sounds like a restoration gone wry! Get out your night vision and shovel we will rescue it!

:yes::wrench:

f_inscreenname
09-29-2009, 07:23 AM
They are all over the place around here. The wife suggests that we should try it with one or two in the driveway all the time.:nilly: