PDA

View Full Version : Volvo 5.8 with fuel injection

Ernie
09-22-2009, 09:38 PM
Can the fuel injection on this engine be reprogramed for performance? Or is there a performance chip? Ernie

Ernie
09-24-2009, 04:24 PM
Really, doesn't any one know the answer to this question?

blackhawk
09-24-2009, 05:21 PM
I assume this is a 5.8Fi or 5.8FSi? If so I doubt there is much to gain as those motors are very stout in stock form.

Ernie
09-24-2009, 07:02 PM
It is a Volvo 5.8FI 300 hp. I was afraid of that. Would have been too easy to sqeeze a little more out of it by chipping it or reprograming. Thanks, Ernie

blackhawk
09-25-2009, 11:49 AM
It is a Volvo 5.8FI 300 hp. I was afraid of that. Would have been too easy to sqeeze a little more out of it by chipping it or reprograming. Thanks, Ernie

SX drive? What prop are you running?

I thought the Fi was 275hp? Either way I know they are underrated.

Ernie
09-25-2009, 09:16 PM
The previous owner said it was the 300hp. But I couldn't find one like. You're probably right, somewhere between 275 and 300. Yes it is the SX outdrive (19 spline). Right now the best prop so far is a Solas 21 pitch, aluminum. Runs 62-63 gps on it's best day. Getting ready to order a 23 pitch Turbo 1. It turns the Solas a solid 4800 rpm. I'm thinking the Turbo will turn close to that with a little, 1-2 hp gain. I couldn't find a used one to try.

blackhawk
09-25-2009, 09:22 PM
The previous owner said it was the 300hp. But I couldn't find one like. You're probably right, somewhere between 275 and 300. Yes it is the SX outdrive (19 spline). Right now the best prop so far is a Solas 21 pitch, aluminum. Runs 62-63 gps on it's best day. Getting ready to order a 23 pitch Turbo 1. It turns the Solas a solid 4800 rpm. I'm thinking the Turbo will turn close to that with a little, 1-2 hp gain. I couldn't find a used one to try.

I think you should run mid 60's with the right stainless prop. I'd look for a used 23 Viper to try. My friend has the 5.8 in his Four Winns U-19(aka Donzi "copy" on this board) and he runs 65-67 everyday and even more on good days.

BigGrizzly
09-26-2009, 09:23 AM
Ernie I test for both companies and also a dealer for both. I can tell you this and that is Stainless in either is better then that aluminum. I tested Solas for the past 9 years on an array of boats. Then compared them to others some Solas is better and some Turbo is better. For example on old volvo drives Solas is the cream of the crop on the SX it depends on the boat and which particular type whether Turbo or Solas

Ernie
09-27-2009, 07:25 PM
Griz, I believe you told me that I couldn't turn one of your props in my stock condition. With that stock Aluminum 21 solas, I turn a solid 4800 to 4900. I thinkread that the Turbo stainless is a progressive pitch prop. Based on that, do you think I could turn a 23 and not loose too many rpm's? I figured that being progressive and stainless I might be able to hold close to the 4800 rpm's. Ernie

BigGrizzly
09-28-2009, 08:21 AM
Actually Ernie, I was refering to the old volvo drives with one of my Solas props. The SX does not use one of that type. Now almost all props are progressive pitch it is how the progression works is the important part. That aluminum is a nice prop but is not in my opinion the best for that application. In reality it takes testing and you need the prop that works for YOU. For me and some others we can drive almost anything but Like what is easiest or the fastest. Most of us don't use the fastest, because it usually has some unwanted traits. Everybody can recommend but only YOU can make the decision what is best for your application. WE can only recommend what we found that works for us. My advantage is I tested so much stuff on so many different boats. It is called an educated guess. Me I would start with the Turbo. The Solas titan is another good option as is the Solas lexor