View Full Version : Checkmate vs Donzi

joseph m. hahnl
09-22-2009, 07:30 PM
He don't like me to much, Do he ?:wink:

http://www.checkmate-boats.com/forums/showthread.php?t=388

we're not all snobs:kingme:

Carl C
09-22-2009, 07:51 PM
There is a ton of interesting stuff there even though it's been around awhile. A 365hp 454 22 runs 76 on radar? The '87-'90 hulls are the ones to avoid? Didn't someone here recently claim those to be the best? Didn't DonziGirl used to be here? I wonder if anyone still thinks we're snobs now that you can get into a decent Classic for $10,000.:popcorn:

mattyboy
09-22-2009, 08:11 PM
i stopped reading after the "suite" 16 comment

that is funny on so many levels

oledawg
09-23-2009, 08:27 AM
As a relatively new owner of a '88 22C I have to agree with a couple of comments. These boats do have "soul", you don't even have to be running fast to get ALL the attention that you want. I can be running 45-50 and EVERY time that I pass by a pontoon loaded with folks relaxing they start pointing and waving. Just have to give them a mini fly by and push it on up to the 60's! With the open exhaust and the big block 454 barking as I go by it is a thrill a minute for not only me, but others also. As I have said before, LOTS OF SMILES PER HOUR! "Snob"? If paying under $10,000 for a boat that gives me this much fun makes me a snob, then so be it. I am all in! :cool:

Carl C
09-23-2009, 08:36 AM
It's all relative. It is humbling sometimes boating on the Great Lakes with million dollar plus yachts and jet powered Skaters.............My boat becomes a tender!

oledawg
09-23-2009, 09:39 AM
Nothing humble about ANY Donzi owner that I have seen, and I don't mean that in a negative manner. Mine is not prestine and certainly have some work to do on it, but it so far has been a great boat that I plan to keep for a long time. It is what it is! :cool!:

vrod02
10-06-2009, 07:29 PM
Snobs no. Proud and loud yes! They are the corvettes of boats. 66 barrel back with 383 gets all the looks around here even though theirs an egg beater on steroids ,checkmate, that will have him for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, speed wise. The checkmate is early 80's to clarify the hull design thing. My POS 7 meter gets peoples attention, loud and honest 52mph through anything the river can come up with. 4-5 ft barge waves on 20 ft. centers. Both boats mentioned above would be stuffed at that speed!

f_inscreenname
10-06-2009, 08:55 PM
I hate that BS. Checks are nice boats. A little thin for playing in my backyard but nice for the rivers.
As for speed …who uses radar?

BlownCrewCab
10-06-2009, 09:11 PM
I raced the Mountain Dew (Old Hogs Breath) Corsa in Kent Narrows MD, it's a full out Race Boat. Some Locals signed up for our Class in a 26-28(?) Checkmate. They actually Led us and the other raceboats for 5 or 6 laps until they slid then hooked in a turn and one of the guys took out the side windshield with his face, all 3 guys ended up in the drivers bolster. I don't know if they had a bigger motor than they said they had, or that thing just ran really well (like faster than our speed record holding boat)either way I was impressed at how well it did to hold us off so long...

vrod02
10-06-2009, 09:19 PM
I hate that BS. Checks are nice boats. A little thin for playing in my backyard but nice for the rivers.
As for speed …who uses radar?

Ummm.. Nascar! on the water plenty including
LOTO shoot out. Very accurate.

joseph m. hahnl
10-07-2009, 07:27 PM
I raced the Mountain Dew (Old Hogs Breath) Corsa in Kent Narrows MD, it's a full out Race Boat. Some Locals signed up for our Class in a 26-28(?) Checkmate. They actually Led us and the other raceboats for 5 or 6 laps until they slid then hooked in a turn and one of the guys took out the side windshield with his face, all 3 guys ended up in the drivers bolster. I don't know if they had a bigger motor than they said they had, or that thing just ran really well (like faster than our speed record holding boat)either way I was impressed at how well it did to hold us off so long...

you see, it's all fun and games till some one smashes there face in the windshield:shades:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1PVUvphYzg

Morgan's Cloud
10-08-2009, 06:48 AM
I raced the Mountain Dew (Old Hogs Breath) Corsa in Kent Narrows MD, it's a full out Race Boat. ...

Mike , how many Corsa's were made ? I really liked them as they seemed to have slightly more user friendly dimensions than a Cig 28 or Mag 27 .

Weren't they 'Bing's creation' when he went on his own after leaving Cigarette ?

BlownCrewCab
10-08-2009, 07:15 AM
There's allot of them out there. I remember them being built when I worked at Cougar ( I Believe thats about the time they got started 80', 81) They are Fantastic rough water boats, especially the purpose built race version with the extra bulk heads. IDK if byng built it first, But his 32' is exactly a larger version of the 26, which I believe is a knockoff of the 27 mag (Hull).. I have had the Driver (who was seated in the middle bolster) fall out of the boat, going 80mph (in a last ditch effort to stay in the last thing he could grab was my helmet, almost broke my neck) Fun Times....