PDA

View Full Version : Electric over hydraulic brakes...

gcarter
09-22-2009, 01:46 PM
Can someone give me some insight into electric over hydraulic disk trailer brakes?
Also any discussion would be welcome.
Websites?

BlownCrewCab
09-22-2009, 01:55 PM
If it's gonna be a big Load on the trailer and a Short wheelbase vehicle I Like electric brakes, Just for the fact if it starts to sway you can reach down and slide the Manual Part of the controler and apply the trailer Brakes without the Vehicle Brakes to Stop the swaying. Otherwise the only way to stop a good sway is to Mash the Gas pedal, and thats not always cool. Other than that I have no preferance.

gcarter
09-22-2009, 01:59 PM
That sounds like a good reason for having them, but how do they work?
I have no experience w/them.

Trueser
09-22-2009, 02:15 PM
I was told the elec don't hold up on Boat trailers.

Sweet Cheekz
09-22-2009, 03:11 PM
I have had them on two bigger boats and they were fabulous I could stop my truck on a dime with the trailer brakes only. Great for saving truck brakes. Only drawbacks were expense and the brains failed a few times over the years Don't need them for a 22 thats for sure, but great for a big boat
Parnell

BigGrizzly
09-22-2009, 03:18 PM
I am assuming you mean electric hydraulic breaks not just electric brakes. The electro hydraulic are top drawer I am saving for the controller. My kodiacs art the best thing since sliced bread, the assist would be awesome

roadtrip se
09-22-2009, 03:19 PM
on the Manning tandem under the Formula SS. It is a big load, close to 12K, and going down the grades around Cumberland I really like them. You can literally control stop the entire rig on a significant grade without tapping the pedals in the truck. I like the control. No surge, just nice, even stopping power.

As for Trueser's point, the brakes are the same Kodiaks that are on my surge system-based system on the Myco under the 22. Obviously, the master is different, but the stuff that goes into the drink is the same. So far, so good. We do unplug the controller when backing down the ramp, as we don't need the power of the brake controller at that point. Seems to work better without in reverse.

The make of the actuator is the Hydrastar by Carlisle.

So far, so good. I have had big boats on surge trailers before and this is a much better system in terms of user friendliness.
I have thought about putting it on the Donzi trailer, but it is probably overkill for that small of a trailer.

handfulz28
09-22-2009, 04:50 PM
Instead of a surge coupler, there's an electric pump. Pump gets its signal from controller in the truck. In theory, any electric brake controller should work (from simple Uhaul to fancy Prodigy), but many find that only certain controllers send the right signal. If you've ever driven a trailer with electric brakes, it should work exactly the same. And from the pump back, same lines leading to disc brakes.

The only drawback is upfront price and cost of replacement pump if it dies. And the possiblity of not having the right controller. Oh yeah, and forgetting to "turn down" the controller when the trailer is empty. :D

zelatore
09-22-2009, 08:01 PM
Count me among those in favor - electric is WAY nicer than simple surge brakes.

When I raced, I ran straight electric on the car hauler. Being able to adjust brake threshold and max power on the fly was great! Also wonderful to be able to just add some drag on the trailer to straighten out a sway. With a boat trailer of course, you run the electro-hydro hybrid systems but the function from the truck's point of view is the same.

And, if some wanker is tailgating you and you don't really want to brake-check him for fear he'll plow right into the back of your trailer, you can both stand on the gas and reach down to lock the trailer brakes at the same time. The combination of a roaring motor and the trailer tires locked up and smoking usually gets their attention in a hurry! :kingme:

Ed Donnelly
09-22-2009, 08:47 PM
I have straight electric only..You can adjust for the road conditions on the fly
........Ed

fegettes
09-22-2009, 10:05 PM
I have electric brakes on each wheel underneath my Blackhawk. And I have surge brakes underneath the Sport. I like them both when they work.

How well do they hold up?

When I bought the Blackhawk, I installed all new electric brakes in the spring of 2005 and they have worked great, however, I am thinking I need to pull the wheels and check them and maybe adjust them, or simply do an inspection. I have maybe put 10,000 miles on them since I installed them.

I bought a new aluminum trailer with surge disc brakes on the front axle only for the Sport in December of 2006. I have no idea what brand the surge disc brakes were, but they only lasted about a year down there in the salt water of the Florida Keys, and the brakes did not see very many miles, maybe 1,500 miles. I replaced the reverse solenoid twice and the complete brakes with Kodiac last year in Texas, will have to see how they hold up.

Steve

ghiafreak62
09-22-2009, 11:06 PM
Instead of a surge coupler, there's an electric pump. Pump gets its signal from controller in the truck. In theory, any electric brake controller should work (from simple Uhaul to fancy Prodigy), but many find that only certain controllers send the right signal. If you've ever driven a trailer with electric brakes, it should work exactly the same. And from the pump back, same lines leading to disc brakes.

The only drawback is upfront price and cost of replacement pump if it dies. And the possiblity of not having the right controller. Oh yeah, and forgetting to "turn down" the controller when the trailer is empty. :D

you hit it right on the head, we run the same system on our com myco trailer, you can adjust it on the fly also, if your sitting with the truck stopped and you have your foot resting on the brake you can hear the pump running.

mc donzi
09-23-2009, 07:15 AM
I have had them on two bigger boats and they were fabulous I could stop my truck on a dime with the trailer brakes only. Great for saving truck brakes. Only drawbacks were expense and the brains failed a few times over the years Don't need them for a 22 thats for sure, but great for a big boat
Parnell

Parnell,

Do you mean that you don't need electric brakes to haul a 22C or that you don't need brakes period???

The boat weighs 3400 lbs dry,+ trailer, + fuel, + anchor etc. You're up to 5000 lbs. pretty quick.

Dave

Sweet Cheekz
09-23-2009, 09:28 AM
I just meant that the hydraulic/electric setup might be overkill for a 22 depending on the tow vehicle but I will be putting them under my 21 gt for sure because I am pulling it with a Jeep Grand Cherokee If I still had my F350 I would get surge and save the grand.
Parnell.

Sweet Cheekz
09-23-2009, 09:30 AM
. Oh yeah, and forgetting to "turn down" the controller when the trailer is empty. :D

Oh Yeah Wore a few bald spots on the tires in my day People really honk alot when the smoke is thick!
SC

f_inscreenname
09-23-2009, 10:14 AM
I just finished a 1969 Thunderbird trailer. I restored it so I ended up with a copy of the original serge brakes. Works great for the few miles I have towed it so far. I did get a lot of advice along the way like the brake shoes need to have rivets in them. The ones that don't, the shoe will fall off. Elect works good on trailers that don't see salt water. Elect and hydro combo are a lot of money.
Many hours of research has me shopper at the Trailer parts Super Store http://shop.easternmarine.com/ real good prices, lots of parts for anytrailer and you order is there before you know it.

One thing I do like about serge brakes is there is nothing to do but hook the truck to the trailer and go.

handfulz28
09-23-2009, 11:56 AM
Just to clear up some possible confusion between "electric" brakes (typically drums) and electric/hydraulic...
I personally wouldn't dunk "electric" brakes in any water, let alone salt. They use electric current to activate a magnet which is inside the drum. Recipe for disaster IMHO. But fresh water users get away with it 99% of the time since fresh water doesn't conduct current as well as salt water.

Electric/hydraulic have no electric parts going in the water...it's just hydraulic lines same as a surge coupler.

Anything dunked in salt water needs corrosion guard and a fresh water flush/rinse. Just keep the corrosion guard off the friction surfaces. :D

Sweet Cheekz
09-24-2009, 09:14 AM
Also my hydraulic/electric setup was disc brakes. Don't know if they are available with drum or not
SC