PDA

View Full Version : 1988 Donzi Regaza -need info please

pcrit
09-22-2009, 12:04 PM
I'm new to the forum as I just bought a 1988 R25 Donzi Regazza, my first Donzi! I've been looking to get a Donzi for years and finally got back into boating after many years and came across the R25 and couldn't pass it up. It's in nice shape overall and needs some steering and carb work but everything else is in great condition. It has a mercruiser 260 and I was wondering if you could give me some more information about this as I can't find much. How will it be in 3-4 foot waves in the ocean and what kind of performance/upgrades can I expect from it. It will mainly be a family boat but I'd like to get some decent speed out of it if possible without braking the bank. Any info on it would be helpful. I'm so glad I found this forum and hope to be a Donzi owner for a very long time!!!!

Carl C
09-22-2009, 12:34 PM
From the '88 brochure:

pcrit
09-22-2009, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the info!

Carl C
09-22-2009, 01:34 PM
Your welcome. There aren't a lot of Regazzas here since this site focuses more on the performance boats. Donzi only made these boats for a short time. They are not meant to be speed boats and probably not meant for running 3-4 foot waves. It IS a nice daycruiser or overnighter. I'm not a fan of the bowrider Regazzas but your CC has a place and I think is worthy of restoring. Good luck with her.

joseph m. hahnl
09-22-2009, 04:10 PM
I'm new to the forum as I just bought a 1988 R25 Donzi Regazza, my first Donzi! I've been looking to get a Donzi for years and finally got back into boating after many years and came across the R25 and couldn't pass it up. It's in nice shape overall and needs some steering and carb work but everything else is in great condition. It has a mercruiser 260 and I was wondering if you could give me some more information about this as I can't find much. How will it be in 3-4 foot waves in the ocean and what kind of performance/upgrades can I expect from it. It will mainly be a family boat but I'd like to get some decent speed out of it if possible without braking the bank. Any info on it would be helpful. I'm so glad I found this forum and hope to be a Donzi owner for a very long time!!!!

:wink:

http://www.goboatingamerica.com/boattests/DM_article.asp?id=393

pcrit
09-22-2009, 07:58 PM
Thanks for the quick response, you have been great and I can't thank you enough. The link didn't work but I appreciate it. I needed a well built family cruiser and it was the right price and condition so I bought it. I'd love a performance Donzi but it just wouldn't be practical right now. Any help on squeezing some horsepower out of it, looking to get a 45-50 mph boat if possible. I also am having problems with the stock quadrajet carb and it needs to be rebuilt or replaced..should I stick with the same or is there something else I should get and lose the quadrajet? Thanks again for all of your help!

pcrit
09-22-2009, 08:02 PM
The link worked, thanks. I'm more interested in all of your opinions about this boat. I know it's not a true Donzi and this might not be the right place for it but if anyone does own one I would appreciate your thoughts.

Carl C
09-22-2009, 08:30 PM
[quote=pcrit;539582]The link worked, thanks. I'm more interested in all of your opinions about this boat. I know it's not a true Donzi and this might not be the right place for it but if anyone does own one I would appreciate your thoughts.[/quote

It is a Donzi just as sure as any other. I can't help you with you performance questions. Mr. Fix can I'm sure:wink:. (he's good) (really!)

Phil S
09-22-2009, 10:46 PM
I love Italian girls, always have...heck, I'm married to a full-blooded Italian one...my wife Leesa ! :)

Very well built boat imo...but just like all boats, it all depends on how she's been taken care of. Not a performance boat, but then again, that just depends upon how much you're willing to spend on her to perform. :) Not a "performance hull", but nice deep-vee and lines all the same...just my opinion.

There are others here that may be more experienced with Ragazza's than me (the boat) ;), but it serves our purpose just fine and dandy and then some. (our's is a 17 foot, 4.3, and we have a great time with it...lotsa thumbs up with it too)

Hopefully Mike V will chime in as well, I think he has a 23 ft; Silverback used to have one...now he is shootin' for 115 (or more) mph in a ZX :). I am certain there are others I don't know about that had them, have 'em, and still love Italian girls. :) :wink:

Phil S.

pcrit
09-23-2009, 01:20 AM
I can't disagree with you at all, I love Italians too. I'm Greek so Italians are a close match! Hahahahhaha. Having never owned a Donzi before I'm very impressed with how well built it is and in remarkable condition for it's age, it's a great looking boat. I won't get to use it this year (end of seaon in New England) but I can't wait to start working on it and get it 100% for next year. Just trying to plan ahead and get everything ready. I can't say enough about all of you and thanks for the advice. This is a top notch forum!!!!!!!

Any idea where I can get an owner's manual for it????

LKSD
09-23-2009, 07:17 AM
I also am having problems with the stock quadrajet carb and it needs to be rebuilt or replaced..should I stick with the same or is there something else I should get and lose the quadrajet? Thanks again for all of your help!

A good lil marine Holley 4bbl with a mechanical secondary would work nicely. We sell & install them. I personally prefer them as they are more tunable & offer better throttle response.. :) Jamie / Lakeside

LKSD
09-23-2009, 07:20 AM
I know it's not a true Donzi and this might not be the right place for it but if anyone does own one I would appreciate your thoughts.

It is just as much a real donzi as a 22c or a zr.. It is just built & designed for a different purpose. It was built in FL like the other models. Just because it is a Regazza model doesnt mean that it isn't a good boat.. I would take one anyday over other boats that were made by other compainies.. Welcome to the site.. :) Jamie / Lakeside

pcrit
09-23-2009, 07:21 AM
Great, how much for the carb? I can install it.

LKSD
09-23-2009, 07:22 AM
Any idea where I can get an owner's manual for it????

The original owners manuals are no longer available. They were some what of a generic boating manual anyway. There wasnt too much boat model specific stuff in them unless you were looking for the dash light indicator chart that some of the Donzi models had.. A service manual for the engine & Drive would be of more use.. ;) Jamie / Lakeside

LKSD
09-23-2009, 07:24 AM
Great, how much for the carb? I can install it.

I have to step out this morning, but if you call me this afternoon I can help you then. :).. Jamie / Lakeside 570-639-2628

pcrit
09-23-2009, 07:37 AM
That's kinda what I figured so no big deal, I have a mercruiser manual so I should be all set..thanks for the info. If you could get me a price for the carb that would be great. I can get a quadrajet for around $220-$250 but I'd prefer not have another one.

LKSD
09-23-2009, 02:02 PM
I do understand that.. Good talking with you today & we will keep in touch.. :) Jamie

joseph m. hahnl
09-23-2009, 02:45 PM
That's kinda what I figured so no big deal, I have a mercruiser manual so I should be all set..thanks for the info. If you could get me a price for the carb that would be great. I can get a quadrajet for around $220-$250 but I'd prefer not have another one.

Not to step on Jamie's toes but I'd go with Eddelbrock "AKA Webber" they do not have power Valves and they are much Simpler design than Holly. They are also way easier to tune and maintain than a Holly:kingme:

MARINE CARBShttp://www.carburetion.com/images/1409a.jpg
E-1409
PERFORMER SERIES CARBURETORS - 600 CFM - ELECTRIC CHOKE, MARINE -
For use with Edelbrock Performer manifolds and others of similar design in marine applications. Complies with U.S. Coast Guard safety standards. Cast surfaces are iridited and shafts and pump arm are teflon coated for maximum corrosion protection. Other features include modified bowl venting, specially designed throttle shafts, accelerator pump seal, 3/8-inch inverted flare fuel inlet fitting, tube in airhorn for fuel pump vent, 5-1/8" flame arrestor flange, universal throttle lever and a revised secondary system for improved transient performance. Comes with the following jets, rods and springs: Metering Jets: Primary .098, Secondary .101; Metering Rods: .068 x .047. Step-Up Spring: orange (5" Hg).
Price
$339.95
Adaptor #TD2034 for spread Bore Manifold (http://www.carburetion.com/edlprice.asp#Adaptor)

http://www.carburetion.com/images/acc/EDL2696.jpg
TD2034

TD
4 HOLE SQUARE BORE
TO SPREAD BORE ADAPTER
Better for low end TORQUE
Price
$29.95

pcrit
09-23-2009, 03:41 PM
I was hoping to put one on, should I get a different manifold too?

LKSD
09-23-2009, 04:54 PM
Not to step on Jamie's toes but I'd go with Eddelbrock "AKA Webber" they do not have power Valves and they are much Simpler design than Holly. They are also way easier to tune and maintain than a Holly:kingme:

No problem Joe.. :) I also sell them. I have to admit tho, I am not as fond of them as a rule in comparison & I respectfully disagree to a bit. But we all have our own likes.. :)

The power valves in the holley stuff now are usually protected and much less prone to failure or blow out over the old days. The holley is more tuneable than the edelbrock and in my experience tend to run better, have crisper throttle response & be less prone to bogging. The Holley also has a larger accellerator pump & can be upgraded froma 30 to a 50cc unit if you need more fuel for dropping the hammer. Also I personally like the mechanical secondary for the carbs that holley has over the edelbrock, carter, weber quadra bog stuff. But thats just me.. I also would stay away from the holley vac 2ndary stuff too.. You loose some response with them. SO that is why I personally like the holley mechanical secondary marine 4bbl carbs.. :)

Again everybody has their own likes, but hopefully my rambling helped explain my rational a bit.. :) Jamie / Lakeside

LKSD
09-23-2009, 04:56 PM
I was hoping to put one on, should I get a different manifold too?

you dont have to necessarily change the intake manifold to switch a carb. However there are also manifolds that make more power than other. The spacers dont usually hurt either, if you have the space/room. You should see how much clearance you have under your hatch before you think of other mods.. :) Jamie

CaribouLou
09-23-2009, 05:08 PM
I love my Edelbrock carb.

pcrit
10-07-2009, 07:58 AM
I'm thinking of getting the Edelbrock 1409 instead rebuilding the original q-jet and probably doing the manifold at the same time since it's the original. Any thoughts on what would be the best thing to do please? Will this be a simple bolt on as I will probably do it myself and anything I should look for/replace while I'm there?