PDA

View Full Version : Big Grizz, you staying dry??????

Donziweasel
09-22-2009, 09:23 AM
Been talking to my father, he has lived in Atlanta for 60 years and said it is the worse flooding he has ever seen. Said Lanier rose 2 ft in the past day or so. You building an Ark yet or just going to float it out in the Critter?:wink:

Hope your ok and staying dry.

BUIZILLA
09-22-2009, 09:47 AM
I was just on the phone with friends that live on the far north end of 'Toona adjacent to the park/boat ramp.... the lake has risen about 18' (huh?) :shocking: in the last year and over 3' in 2 days... the park/ramp/tables/gate is COMPLETELY under water and their neighbor's dock broke loose last night... they cannot get out of their development... it's a muddy mess

Lenny
09-22-2009, 10:05 AM
Any of those waterways, ( Grizz's included) controlled by dams or locks ?

Donziweasel
09-22-2009, 10:10 AM
Any of those waterways, (Grizz's included) controlled by dams or locks ?

Lake Lanier (Grizz's home lake) is damn controlled. It is HUGE and supplies all the water to Atlanta. It was the lake that two years ago almost dried up and left Atlanta with only 60 days of water left. The rains came. Disaster averted.

Now, 2 years later, my father says it will be full by the end of the week.

The rest of the flooding is in undamned rivers and streams. Worst in 60 years........:frown:

BUIZILLA
09-22-2009, 10:12 AM
Toccoa rafting should be pretty exciting... :shocking:

gcarter
09-22-2009, 01:42 PM
FWIW, the Harris Chain here in Central Florida is up about 4' so far this year. It's the highest it's been in maybe 5 or 6 years.
And it's all w/o any major storms.
In fact, the lakes are higher this year than the "The Year of the Storms", when was that, 5 years ago?

BigGrizzly
09-22-2009, 03:07 PM
I came back from KP and drove straight through to 92 miles from home and 60 miles from Atlanta, just ahead of the big part hit. If I had not I would be just getting home now. I20 was closed in both directions just after we got passed. Lanier is only up about a foot since I left so it raised 1.5 feet in 12 hours. BTW sun is out but you can actually see the lake go up from the run off and we are at the top of the watershed. The lake water has dropped 10 degrees in temp since last week.

Phil S
09-22-2009, 08:37 PM
....I have a work colleague in the Atlanta area that commutes to Greenville each week, and he said it was VERY BAD in Atlanta...the news doesn't do it justice.

We (Greenville / Spartanburg area, SC) didn't get anything CLOSE to what ya'll did...and not saying that we didn't need the rain, but that much all at once is rough.

Glad you got thru it, and Lanier is filling up. I followed those stories closely about Atlanta's 60-day supply last year. Hartwell (GA/SC line), as I'm sure you know, was extemely low last year (not safe).

Still need to buy a prop from ya..., and still remember your advice to me...."do it once, and do it right". Thanks Big G, that's some sage advice there, not just with prop choice, but across the board. Thanks again. :wink:

Phil S.

BigGrizzly
09-23-2009, 08:22 AM
Phil, the north east sid was not hit hard but the south west was. As for props and advice, that is what this board is for, saving money headaches and time.

The Hedgehog
09-23-2009, 08:38 AM
Glad you are doing fine Randy.

The Hedgehog
09-23-2009, 08:48 AM
Toccoa rafting should be pretty exciting... :shocking:

The Chattooga peaked at 9 feet. I believe that Corran Addison ran section IV at this level one time. I could not imagine that but fully believe that he did it. It is down to 3 feet.

I ran Sweetwater Creek in Atlanta in a screaming flood one time. The gauge and the park were both underwater. It was crazy. I took a class V beating. I have some nice scars on my knuckles to prove it. I finally came out of my boat after getting stomped in a couple of holes for a long time. My kayak was found a few days later in the trees. I turned in my expert card for while after that.

roadtrip se
09-23-2009, 09:05 AM
and he passed on my offer to loan him the plans from the Great Cumberland Ark. Nothing ever bothers him, I like that.

Actually, I called to talk about his run out to PK and props for the Flowerpot.

Of course, something is coming from his stash of goodies via UPS from GA. So, Grizz will have a hand in tuning the boat, just like the last time.

handfulz28
09-23-2009, 11:47 AM
Finally heard from my cousin. She, her husband and 4 kids got out of their lakefront house in Villa Rica just in time. They got back in yesterday by jonboat to foot high water on the first floor. And the worst part, no flood insurance...

BigGrizzly
09-23-2009, 04:32 PM
Trip, I almost forgot you used the proto type TXP. Maybe this will do the same:boggled:
Handfull, sorry to hear about your cousin, my house is a 100 feet up from the lake, And I could not wait to get home on Monday- after I got through they closed I20 untill this after noon