PDA

View Full Version : Anyone up for this?

DonziFreak
09-21-2009, 09:41 PM
They started up a boat racing class in Texas known as Super Stock Trihulls with great success, and I just raced one this past weekend......They are in-expensive (compared to other racing classes.....including cars) and a s**t ton of fun to drive. I was wondering if anyone on here might be interested in maybe starting this class up here in Florida?

Check out Extreme Trihulls (http://extremetrihulls.com/index.htm) for more info on this, and I'll post some pictures of me racing this past weekend when I get em!

DonziFreak
09-21-2009, 10:06 PM
It's 4k for a new boat with rollcage only, no trailer or motor, but you can buy complete rigs for almost dirt cheap (they offered me the boat I drove turn key for 3k!). They run OMC V4 135's or 140's and are basicly a "junkyard" kinda class. They have a claiming rule on everything hanging on your transom of $2,250 to keep the costs down, but it's only ever been done twice. I'll try to get a full list of rules to post here for you guys. I gotta admit tho, it's freaking exciting.

BTW poodle, that link didn't go to the full site, try http://extremetrihulls.com/index.htm
You can also research the forums on http://boatracingfacts.com under tri-hulls, I found some old rules on there, don't know if any of it has been amended or not.

BUIZILLA
09-21-2009, 10:08 PM
ohhhh, my back... :nilly:

Lenny
09-21-2009, 10:19 PM
Man, that looks like fun :yes: Great video.

Sure reminds me of the GW Invader boats ( but bigger )

The puffy white clouds and blue skies and sun didn't hurt either.

The Hedgehog
09-21-2009, 10:53 PM
I would do that if I did not have to go all the way to Tx. Looks like a riot.

DonziFreak
09-22-2009, 08:56 AM
Ya, it's a world of fun! I really want to try to get this class rolling here in Florida maybe by sometime next year. I think it's got a lot of potential!

harbormaster
09-22-2009, 09:33 AM
My Canvas guy has one he wants to sell. He is getting out of it because of internal politics....

DonziFreak
09-22-2009, 09:51 AM
If it's the same canvas guy I'm thinking of, he did the straps for all three of our race boats...... :)

Jraysray
09-22-2009, 12:09 PM
My Canvas guy has one he wants to sell. He is getting out of it because of internal politics....

This boat Scot is referring to is TOP notch. Made for racing from hull up. Just like anything it alway's starts out cheap but as things roll on, not so much.

If your looking to get into this racing class this guy has a complete setup trailer and all. It's also won several races. Scot or I can get you pics and contact info.

DonziFreak
09-22-2009, 12:34 PM
Ya, throw some pictures up! I was thinking of a new rig, but I wouldn't mind taking a look at his. I'm fairly certain I know who you are talking about, but can't seem to remember the boat....I'm sure if I saw pictures it would jog my memory.

Jraysray
09-22-2009, 12:39 PM
Ya, throw some pictures up! I was thinking of a new rig, but I wouldn't mind taking a look at his. I'm fairly certain I know who you are talking about, but can't seem to remember the boat....I'm sure if I saw pictures it would jog my memory.

Will get some tonight.

Jraysray
09-22-2009, 09:02 PM
RACE READY (no joke)

Motor - Evinrude 140 Built by Renny Hardwick
Hull - New 2007 Built by Miffco
Trailer - New McLain Single Axle
Seat - Aluminum built by Kirkey Racing
24 Volt Trim
6" Manual Jack Plate

For many more details contact:
Brian Chasteen
281-844-3699 Cell
281-291-0808 Shop
DocksideCanvas@AH.net

BTW this guy does great work from carpet to enclosures. He did cockpit covers for Harbormaster, Feggets and myself.

Jraysray
09-22-2009, 09:03 PM
Sorry for the bad pics.

Jraysray
09-22-2009, 09:07 PM
A couple more

onesubdrvr
09-22-2009, 09:20 PM
I'd get into it,.....

Wouldn't want to buy a boat for the first year or so,... a lot would depend on how far I'd have to drive to race, but looks like a blast.

You're supposed to send me some pictures too ;)

Wayne

BUIZILLA
09-22-2009, 09:26 PM
i'd be pissed if someone claimed my 115coughcough140.... :bonk:

does the roll bar rust? or is this fresh water only racing?

what speeds with the 140?

Jraysray
09-22-2009, 09:33 PM
I think he got claimed once before. Not sure though but this is not his first rig. I don't think it has been raced much more than a couple of times. Yes it's rated as a 140.

Not wanting to air dirty laundry about what I am not sure about but I know the boat is fresh. Been to a couple of races and YES they are fun.

DonziFreak
09-22-2009, 09:55 PM
Ya, I'm familiar with both Brian and that boat. He actualy did the lifting straps for our 45, 120, and F1. Renny Hardwick is also a good friend of ours, we actualy bought our 45 from him..... What a clean and beutiful boat......very VERY well rigged, just may be giving him a call.....wow, can't get over how nice it is!

And to answer a few questions, these boats run about 60mph GPS......until the water starts getting up to "race conditions" *cough cough*

Wayne, my idea would be to get the class rolling here in Florida, so you wouldn't have to drive 16 hours like a few crazy cubans we know do :bonk:

I talked to the guy that helped create the class and currently runs it, he said he'd be interested in helping us, as long as we run by his rules, which I'm all for

Oh, and no, I have yet to see any roll cages rusted in any way. Thats probaly the only thing all the racers are anal about maintaining....

Also, the claiming rule is $2,500, and covers EVERYTHING hanging on the transom, including props! Thats one way to keep prices down and competition level!

DonziFreak
09-23-2009, 04:51 PM
Talked to Brian today. Nice boat, but out of my price range. I'll find something eventualy.

onesubdrvr
09-23-2009, 09:47 PM
I see lots of Tri-hulls for sale up here,... not the race version, but the standards,....Glastron, etc.

Anyway, looks like it could be a blast, and affordable,.. kind of like the stock hydro classes,... hopefully it doesn't turn out to be some kind of cluster like a lot of racing has done over the years. Just seems that something that starts for fun gets out of control and unobtainable for most.

DonziFreak
09-27-2009, 06:05 PM
Anyway, looks like it could be a blast, and affordable,.. kind of like the stock hydro classes,... hopefully it doesn't turn out to be some kind of cluster like a lot of racing has done over the years. Just seems that something that starts for fun gets out of control and unobtainable for most.

Only way to keep a race class cheap is to make going faster expensive! That's the reason for the claim rule.....Go ahead and drop $4,000 on a motor I can claim for $2,250! Haha....

Anyways, I'm hoping by late 2010, maybe 2011 we can have this class sorta moving..... We'll see..... Maybe I'll show up to a rally with a trihull and let some people try it? Just may generate some interest!

DonziFreak
10-04-2009, 05:29 PM
I'm surprised at the lack of response this thread has generated! Is no one interested in this at all??

Craig S
10-05-2009, 11:21 AM
RACE READY (no joke)

Motor - Evinrude 140 Built by Renny Hardwick
Hull - New 2007 Built by Miffco
Trailer - New McLain Single Axle
Seat - Aluminum built by Kirkey Racing
24 Volt Trim
6" Manual Jack Plate

For many more details contact:
Brian Chasteen
281-844-3699 Cell
281-291-0808 Shop
DocksideCanvas@AH.net

BTW this guy does great work from carpet to enclosures. He did cockpit covers for Harbormaster, Feggets and myself.

Brian does great work...Did parts of my Century Arabian, also. And his is quite a trihull!