PDA

View Full Version : My first Donzi 1989 21 z

snowboater
09-21-2009, 07:55 PM
Well after 20 years of wishing i finally found the time,money and the right Donzi to buy.Anyway made the purchase in the beginning of august.Have put about 35 hours on it and love it.The boat is in great shape(pictures in albums).Anyway it was bought from a dearler who bought it from another dearler who i got it from.The boat is from lake Joeseph up here in ontario .It was a one owner boat so they say.Was kept in a boat house etc.What i'm looking for maybe the old owner is on these forms or does anybody know this boat.I talk to Jamie at lakeside today he asked how many hours on engine but i can't tell because it has a new gauge package on it.I would like to know?Any way any help would be great.Hope to see you around.

Donzi_Dude
09-21-2009, 08:36 PM
nice boat and nice sled!

i was wondering what it has for power and how fast she runs.

what part of Ontario are you located?

LKSD
09-22-2009, 12:48 AM
Well after 20 years of wishing i finally found the time,money and the right Donzi to buy.Anyway made the purchase in the beginning of august.Have put about 35 hours on it and love it.The boat is in great shape(pictures in albums).Anyway it was bought from a dearler who bought it from another dearler who i got it from.The boat is from lake Joeseph up here in ontario .It was a one owner boat so they say.Was kept in a boat house etc.What i'm looking for maybe the old owner is on these forms or does anybody know this boat.I talk to Jamie at lakeside today he asked how many hours on engine but i can't tell because it has a new gauge package on it.I would like to know?Any way any help would be great.Hope to see you around.

It was good talking with you today & I look forward to meeting you soon. Welcome to the site & the Donzi group. Cool Rides BTW.. :) :) Jamie / Lakeside Restorations

snowboater
09-22-2009, 03:34 AM
Donzi Dude she has the 454 in her.I was told she could do 61-63 mph. I have played around with four different props the best she would do with two people and a eithth tank of gas 56.2 both on hand held and the boats gps @ 4700 rpms. Jamie tells me that about all i can expect.I'm live on the north east side of Toronto about 5 miles from lake Scugug.Not a great lake for boating mud bottom, very weedy but great fishing(bass, musky and pike.)The lake does connect to the rest of ontario by a system rivers and locks so you can pretty much cruise any where in ontario if you wanted to.North Carolina ? Great place!We spend two weeks a year on Vaction in Nags Head every year.Love great BBQ and Dennis Andersons mud bog park!

Donzi_Dude
09-22-2009, 05:39 AM
SB, sounds like you got a good one. have you tried going with more pitch? when you say 454, im guessing its a 7.4 bravo(i thought the '89 all came the OMC) they like to run on the low side. the RPM range is 4200-4600 so dont be worried if you run it @ 4200-4300. it might be worth a couple more MPH with a 25P.

got to love them white pickeral, best eating fish in the world!
loads of fun to catch too.

:yes:

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50961&stc=1&d=1253615570

it seems 90% of the time people always say the boat runs atleast 5 MPH more than what she does.

:garfield:
if you need any help juicing her up, let me know. i would be more than happy to help you get an edge.

outerbanks are great.

take care!
DD

snowboater
09-22-2009, 06:22 AM
Yeah it's the 7.4 with a bravo 1. I tried a buddys 25 it was a dog out of the hole.The 25 turned 4100 rpms for a top speed of @ 49 mph.The boat came with a 21 cleaver prop turned 4400 rpms for 50 mph.Tried a 21 mirage with full tank of gas and four people for@ 4400-4500 ran 51.5.So then tried the 23 both loaded and unloaded with fuel and people and the best results was this sunday.I was out of the power band a bit turning too many r's but it was a short blast.I know the conditions were not all ideal for all the tests and that would have some effect on results but this sunday the lake was like glass.I know you can't have it all.It's like sledding i like to do long trail touring trips but also like to ditch bang every once and a while so i ride a 600cc skidoo renagade it gives me the best of both worlds .Buuut you always want a little more !

Donzi_Dude
09-22-2009, 06:51 AM
interesting, you slip numbers seem out of wacks.

25P-25%

21P-14%

23P-18%

have you checked the bottom for excessive hook, very common on these boats.

if you dont mind, what model 25 was that?

snowboater
09-22-2009, 07:22 AM
The 25 came off a buddys cobalt with the same motor but with an alpha drive.I have to admit the prop is well used, not in the best shape but he and i ran neck and neck this weekend he with his 25 vs my 23 prop.Maybe a better 25 would help.Ever fished ontario?

Donzi_Dude
09-22-2009, 07:29 AM
ohhh yes!

i have fished the Bay of Quinte many times and up north too. did a lot of sledding out of Dorset, down to Bracebridge/Haliberton too.

snowboater
09-22-2009, 07:52 AM
You still sled? We do day trips up in those areas you mentioned.Week trips we trailer over to quebec and unload and ride the Great White North!

BUIZILLA
09-22-2009, 09:37 AM
is this a 330 or 365? numbers make sense if it's a 330...

cleaver is notorious for crappy midrange MPH

mrfixxall
09-22-2009, 09:47 AM
sb,,check your timing,a friend of mine had a z21 that would only do 56 mph,we checked the timing and it was off 6 degrees,,after that the boat would do 61mph with a 23 mirage.

LKSD
09-22-2009, 09:56 AM
I have not seen the engine yet, but I am guessing it is a 330 as well. A banged up prop is not going to give that good of a reference point either. That said it is not uncommon to get some gains in correcting the pitch & playing with cupping when you get to the prop that runs the best.. Also prop model to model or MFG to MFG can change speed noticably at times too.. ;) Jamie / Lakeside

Donzi_Dude
09-22-2009, 10:11 AM
no i dont sled anymore, not enough snow in eastern, NC and i cant get away enough to justify it.

is this a 330 or 365? numbers make sense if it's a 330...cleaver is notorious for crappy midrange MPH

oh boy, here we go again.

Yeah it's the 7.4 with a bravo 1.

i have never seen one come with anything bigger than a 330, not to say it didnt. the lit. i have seen from that era indicates 3 engines in that boat, 330, 350mag, 350efi. i have never seen or heard of one with the 350efi.

i dont think the 25 was a cleaver and in this case the cleaver is giving the lower slip numbers.

good call mrfixxall!

:lightning

EricG
09-22-2009, 10:12 AM
Congrats on the new ride...I had an '88 for several years and had a ton of fun with that boat. I really miss the sun-pad and the cuddy!

Could you post another picture or two? I notice that this is another one of the 21's without any port-holes or windows...never really figured out a pattern, but I really love that these boats all had a little uniqueness to them..

Enjoy the boat!

EG

snowboater
09-22-2009, 11:02 AM
Thanks everybody for the responses.Yes it does have 330hp according to the oranage sticker on the valve cover.Also states max rpm 4200-4600 rpm.I'm going to see about a better 25.My daughter dates a guy whose grandfather works at a boat shop.He has been getting me props to try.The boat does not have a port window which through me a bit because i have the original owners manual and it shows a picture of the 21 c with it.I still have girls' they like tube,sun etc so this boat pleases everyone.

joseph m. hahnl
09-22-2009, 04:20 PM
Donzi Dude she has the 454 in her.I was told she could do 61-63 mph. I have played around with four different props the best she would do with two people and a eithth tank of gas 56.2 both on hand held and the boats gps @ 4700 rpms. Jamie tells me that about all i can expect.I'm live on the north east side of Toronto about 5 miles from lake Scugug.Not a great lake for boating mud bottom, very weedy but great fishing(bass, musky and pike.)The lake does connect to the rest of ontario by a system rivers and locks so you can pretty much cruise any where in ontario if you wanted to.North Carolina ? Great place!We spend two weeks a year on Vaction in Nags Head every year.Love great BBQ and Dennis Andersons mud bog park!

boats are faster in the salt :yes: and gps slows them down in the fresh:shocking:

theresaholeinmybucket
10-01-2009, 05:52 PM
I am in Toronto and have the same boat (without side windows which I like much better). Mine is a red 1991 with a 460. My uncle is in Scugog so when I am up one day, I will let you know.

Craig

snowboater
10-01-2009, 06:12 PM
Sounds good ! We can take a run up the trent.