PDA

View Full Version : engine monitor,86'22 classic

daved
09-21-2009, 04:44 PM
Does anyone know if I cand find info on the Mercruiser engine monitor system in my 86 22 classic? I would like to know what it does and ho w to turn it off if I need to. It is a small black panel with a digital display. The dash also has red lights to let me know of an engine issue as well as full guages.
Thanks,
Dave

Planetwarmer
09-21-2009, 05:06 PM
Bam!

Planetwarmer
09-21-2009, 05:08 PM
If you pop off the little black covers, it looks like you can adjust the light/alarm sender. I have never tried this, though.

BUIZILLA
09-21-2009, 05:10 PM
just curious, but do both of your trim tabs work correctly?

Planetwarmer
09-21-2009, 05:16 PM
If you pop off the little black covers, it looks like you can adjust the light/alarm sender. I have never tried this, though.

Swimmingly!:boat:

I have since moved the tab switch up where the Shelby's are located. But yes, the wiring does look screwy. However it works correctly. It is run in a series on the "switch block". Understand that I am no electrician, but those big words sure sound good even though I may have misused them.

MOP
09-21-2009, 05:53 PM
I have seen that style switch it passes current through the copper straps. You should get the plastic steering cable protector tube, it can in rough seas get caught up in something and tear it loose.

BlownCrewCab
09-21-2009, 05:55 PM
just curious, but do both of your trim tabs work correctly?

Does it look like a wire missing? Port down

MOP
09-21-2009, 06:54 PM
Does it look like a wire missing? Port down

Follow the copper straps!

MOP
09-21-2009, 06:57 PM
http://www.mgelectronic.com/

daved
09-21-2009, 07:03 PM
That photo is it. Thanks, I will see what I can find on this thing. It also has a clock on it. Yesterday the little beeping noise started after a few mins of putting out of the river. I hit the top button and it stopped. All guages were reading normal and no red light was lit. It happened exactly at noon, do these thinga have a timer or alarm clock? Stupid question, I know, but just trying to figure it out.
Dave

BlownCrewCab
09-21-2009, 07:29 PM
Follow the copper straps!

Aight then, If I enlarged it before I would have seen that, in the small pic it looks decieving:bonk:

Planetwarmer
09-21-2009, 09:23 PM
You are looking at the front of it. It is mounted inside the dash. It does not stick through the dash. It is part if some weird clock/timer and idiot light system. The black wires running out of the right side of this box go to the lights, clock, gauges and beeper (if mammories serve me correctly).

oledawg
09-22-2009, 05:24 AM
Interesting post as my '88 C22 also has some sort of (faded) black rectangular gizmo mounted under the dash idiot alarm lights ( low voltage, low oil, etc ). It is about 1.5" H x 3" W, most of it is blank but on the right side there are 3 indicators of some sort. I have absolutely no idea what this thing does. My standard alarm does come on when the key is switched on before the motor is actually started. Thoughts? :cool:

daved
09-22-2009, 06:18 AM
I ran the boat for the rest of the afternoon with no alarm noise. I will check again but I think this box does have a front digital display.
I will check into the manafacture and post any info I get.
Dave

Planetwarmer
09-23-2009, 02:39 AM
The best fix is to cut the wires to the alarm.:wink:

farmer tx
09-23-2009, 10:06 PM
I think the monitor you are talking about is a navigational clock. On mine the three buttons set, and reset the digital clock. You can see the edge of the clock in the right side of this picture.

Planetwarmer
09-23-2009, 10:24 PM
I think the monitor you are talking about is a navigational clock. On mine the three buttons set, and reset the digital clock. You can see the edge of the clock in the right side of this picture.

That be the 1. Thats funny, I have the same piece missing on my dash where the screw hole is (upper left).

oledawg
09-23-2009, 10:38 PM
OK, I am a believer except that there is no screen on mine. I have the "buttons" on the right, etc. but there is no screen, so maybe the clock was an option. Good dash pic, now I see what one of the previous owners replaced when he put a depth guage in the dash, he took out the hour meter/clock to put in the new depth guage. I couldn't believe that there was no hour meter on the boat, but I guess there was, just removed. :cool!:

farmer tx
09-23-2009, 11:07 PM
Maybe I should say it is LED readout and not digital.

Planetwarmer
09-23-2009, 11:27 PM
Stock dash for 1987

daved
09-24-2009, 06:22 AM
That is the exact screen and dash I have. So I guess it is not tied to the engine alarm afterall. This is good to know.
I am finding all sorts of good info on this site.
Thanks,
Dave

Planetwarmer
09-24-2009, 11:36 AM
The little quarts clock does have some beeper on it. I have never had mine hooked up. I bought it that way from the previous owner.

DamnDonzi22
09-25-2009, 08:24 PM
Three buttons on right. Top button displays time when key is off. Middle button sets time in a fast mode. Bottom button sets time in a slow mode.

daved
09-26-2009, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the info. I spent some time under the dash with a test light and found out lots of info.
I appreciate the response.
Dave

DamnDonzi22
09-26-2009, 09:18 PM
Please share....

oledawg
09-27-2009, 07:43 AM
OK, so the bottom line is that the fool thing is a digital clock? Since mine doesn't work, in fact I can't even see a screen on mine, just the unit and the 3 buttons. Sounds like something that will provide a future location for something else, ie perhaps a GPS unit since I don't need no stinking clock! :cool!:

daved
09-27-2009, 04:07 PM
What I found under the dash was not a problem with the boat construction but more to do with poor install of items. The engine compartment lights, two small ones and one large would trip the breaker even if the switch was off. The kill switch was not hooked up, the depth guage had a cut wire. Little stuff which I was able to fix the correct way by running new wires and putting on new marine connectors.
As far as the clock, I guess I have no excuse to be out boating longer than I told my wife...