PDA

View Full Version : PK 2009 - fun time but good to be home.

harbormaster
09-21-2009, 02:42 PM
I posted this in the events section in 2 posts but thought it would be a good read here.
At about 70 miles before the end of our 7 hour trip to PK the 3rd gear in my transmission... CRAP!!! . I finished up in second gear with Jefe and his brother Matt limping along with me at 45mph in their vehicles. It took a couple extra hours to arrive at the lake. I dropped off the truck at a transmission repair place in Graham at 9am Friday morning hoping they could fix it on Friday since everything is closed up here on the weekend. I would just like to say thanks to my wingman Jeff Reid for all of his assistance!
We all went out boating at 10 and came back at 430. Jefe gave a ride to the repair shop where they stayed late to finish it (after offering a massive tip!). 1800 dollars and one rebuilt transmission later, The Hummer was back at Bass Hollow. Steve Fegett had a killer Margarita wating for me, and as always Farmer Tex and Jefe rustled up an awesome spread for everyone for dinner.

Well after the having to replace the transmission in the truck Ordeal. I was looking forward to doing some prop testing with Grizz on Saturday morning.
I was out running a different prop with Grizz When I developed a dead miss in the engine. I had plenty of Oil pressure so i limped back and put it away. I was tired of working on sh*t. Had a great day Sat riding with Steve Fegett in his Blackhawk. Also driving Matt Reids 28 Formula SS around with Randy Carabelli. Saturday night dinner could not be beat. Polly was making me rum and cokes and everything was fine.

I woke up at 3:30 Sunday Morning and just wanted to go home. I loaded the Truck and left at 5:00 without saying bye to anyone.... I met up Trueser at the gas station in Graham. He was on his way back to Chicago. He and his passenger Kevin, noticed my back trailer wheel was splayed out. After closer inspection we discovered that the spindle weld had failed where it is secured to the axle. We removed the wheel and Trueser jacked up the axle and strapped it to the frame so it would ride much better. Mike Truesdale is the Best!! I bid them Adios and headed on my 7 hour way.
I stopped about 85 miles from Houston for fuel and noticed that the hub and axle were both gone!! CRAP!I hope it did not hit anyone.
I guess you can surmise that it was really good to get home 3 thousand dollars later. I think I am going to take up different hobby like DRUGS. Maybe it will be cheaper and less stressful.

LKSD
09-22-2009, 08:05 AM
Sounds like it was a good trip with the exception of your bad experience with the Tranny & Hub..

Wait that doesnt sound to good or right.. lol :) .. Maybe I should say sounds like a good trip with the exception of the vehicle & trailer problems.. :)

:) Jamie

Lenny
09-22-2009, 08:26 AM
Scot, we all know the feeling of leaving "stuff" behind on the highways of Texas ;)

Glad it turned out "OK" .

Take care

mrfixxall
09-22-2009, 10:19 AM
i can honestly say that traveling and transmission problems suck! i can also honestly say that most transmission problems are caused from lack of maintance,read your owners manuels guys!! Did you know that if you tow your boat everywhere your soppose to service your transmission every 15000 miles? i change mine once a year no matter what..my first trans lasted 350000 miles due to proper maintance,the only reason it went out was because dum**** me was out snowplowing for 15hrs straight and i was to tired to hit the beakes going into a snowpile and threw it into reverse and broke the reverse band..

scott glad you made it home safe!..