PDA

View Full Version : 1993 Teal 16 Classic. 331 stroker

Jeff V
09-21-2009, 12:33 PM
I have a Donzi 16 classic, 1993 that I'd like to sell. I’m the original owner having bought it new nearby. It’s been meticulously maintained with only 168 hours on the boat. The original 302 engine was replaced with a bored and stroked 331, built by a professional engine builder with the proper marine clearances. This engine has less than 20 hours on it. The hull is in excellent condition, (only one significant scratch at the left rear corner that’s hardly noticeable) and is all original including carpet and seats. There is one small cigarette burn on the back seat, inflicted by a careless teenager.

The boat has always been stored inside in the winters ( which is most of the year here in Michigan), has never seen salt water and has probably only spent 8 overnights sitting in the water, the rest of the time on a hoist. This is a legitimate GPS 75+ MPH boat. A couple of 18 C owners on this site can attest to that. It’s been more than enough for the small lakes that this boat runs on.

There shouldn't be any disappointments with either with the performance or condition of this boat. The engine starts instantly, idles easily around the dock very, shifts excellent and the out drive has been rock solid. I've always tried to treat the outdrive with care when driving. It was rebuilt a few years back, prior to the repower, because someone forgot to fully replace the oil in it. I repainted the bilge when the engine was out, but it's always been clean. There are no oil leaks.

This is a really fun boat to drive especially since it's been repowered. The trim tabs are very effective in controlling chine walk and keeping the boat stable (that's sort of a loose word) at higher speeds. The custom stainless steel exhaust mufflers by Corsa that come with the boat, but are not currently on it, take just a little of the sharpness off (which my wife liked when this was more of a family boat) but don't seem to affect the performance.

The only reason for selling, is that I own another Donzi (22 Classic) and don’t have time for both boats with my other hobbies. The boat can be water tested for the next month or so, then it will be winterized and stored. It’s located just north of Ann Arbor, Mi. I have and can take more pictures.

Here are some particulars:
Price $13,900
Serial # CCVDA1081293
Ford 302 c.i. block, bored & stroked to 331
Dart 195 cc aluminum heads part # 13200010
Comp cam # 35-000-8
Probe forged crank, Probe forged rods
Manley HD intake & exhaust valves
Idelbrock RPM intake manifold
Probe roller rockers
Holley 750 CFM carb
MSD ignition
MSD rev limiter
New high volume oil pump
Hi-Tek Ultra Flow stainless exhaust manifolds ($1,642)
Bennett sport tabs w/ LED switch ($1,300)
Cobra Outdrive, rebuilt 40-50 hrs. ago
New drive bellows 2009
New impellor 2009
New cockpit cover 2008
Stainless steel Viper 3 blade prop, 14 ¼ x 21
Comes with 2 additional stainless props. 4 blade 14-22 and 3 blade 14.63-23
Comes with custom made exhaust mufflers by Corsa Performance.
Eagle trailer and full cover

Jeff Vigue
Whitmore Lake, MI
734-320-4844
jvigue@charter.net

jonzis donzi
09-21-2009, 06:23 PM
Just curious, how many RPMs are you turning at 75+?

BUIZILLA
09-21-2009, 10:13 PM
what a coool hot rod...

nice engine detail

mattyboy
09-22-2009, 07:19 AM
very nice reminds me of the job bill nagy did with his ford 16 very nice

I see you used the HI TEK exhaust risers did you have any issues with clearance???

me likey :) good luck with the sale

Jeff V
09-22-2009, 07:26 AM
The motor turns about 5400 rpms at top speed. I've tried different props, but the best performing one is actually the original 3 blade that came with the boat when new. Before the repower, the 302 turned that prop (14 1/4 x 21) at no more than 4000 rpms. When this was clocked on a GPS @ 75 it had a couple more mph's left, but we'd run out of lake. Before repowering top speed (with a good chine walk) was 64 mph with that original prop without trim tabs. Now with just a little use of the tabs, 70 mph is easily attainable without any chine walk. I'm very pleased now with the performance.

I wasn't sure where to price this boat, but I've put about as much into it since I bought it as I paid for it. Anything much less than my asking price makes it hardly worth parting with. My kids are still a few years away from being in a position to use it and I have multiple hobbies that compete for my time. If they could maintain it and store it, it probably wouldn't be for sale.

I also have a boat lift that I won't be needing and would sell along with or agter the boat sells.

Jeff V
09-22-2009, 07:38 AM
Thanks for the nice comments. Clearance with the HI-Tek exhaust was fine with the hatch, very close with the valve covers. While the starboard side had a mounting flange, I had to spend some time making a couple of brackets to get the shifting hardware and breaker box to fit right. I found that allen head bolts were way more user friendly with the limited clearance around the exhaust header tubes than studs and nuts in attaching them. There was little clearance to get a socket on.

roadtrip se
09-22-2009, 07:45 AM
a few years ago with this boat. During the poker run, Jeff kept showing up at the card stops mixed in with the 22's. Impressed me.

Jeff V
09-30-2009, 12:04 PM
Back to the top...
Price reduced to $13,000. Winter's coming and if not sold in another 2 weeks it's winterized and into storage.