PDA

View Full Version : clear gloss finish

hardcrab
09-20-2009, 08:41 PM
I sanded my Whaler to bare glass, layed on more glass and, sanded it all smooth.
It has a cammo look, some white gelcoat spots and black primer still showing over a green backround.
I'm thnking of keeping the "duck boat" look.

It'll spend most of the time on a trailer, ... what type of clear (epoxy ?) will hold up best ( used below waterline also) ............. :crossfing:

mrfixxall
09-20-2009, 08:51 PM
I sanded my Whaler to bare glass, layed on more glass and, sanded it all smooth.
It has a cammo look, some white gelcoat spots and black primer still showing over a green backround.
I'm thnking of keeping the "duck boat" look.
It'll spend most of the time on a trailer, ... what type of clear (epoxy ?) will hold up best ( used below waterline also) ............. :crossfing:

They make a clear gelcoat~used on ranger boats with the flake..

http://www.fibreglast.com/showproducts-category-category-10.html

or if you want spray and shine you can spray clear imron or awlgrip over your boat..did you seal the bare fiberglass with vynelester primer?

gcarter
09-20-2009, 08:53 PM
Epoxy won't hold up in sun light.
Clear gel turns yellow over time.
Most paint clear coats won't work well unless they're applied over the paint product they're designed for.
There's probably other products available that work well though.

gcarter
09-20-2009, 08:55 PM
"the Conquerer of the Sea" swears by clear Awlgrip.

hardcrab
09-20-2009, 08:58 PM
Quick and GOOD answers .................. thanks guys ..........

Conquistador_del_mar
09-20-2009, 10:49 PM
"the Conquerer of the Sea" swears by clear Awlgrip.

I have shot many boats with Imron clear, and I have never had any disappointment over time. Bill

MOP
09-21-2009, 07:23 AM
Awlgrip and Imron both have very good clear coats, I have had the opportunity to watch how well they hold up. My brokerage office was in a fairly large marina with mostly expensive big boats, Quite a few would renew the finish or protect new finished with either product, the caveat is neither product will hold up with constant immersion in water. But for a trailer boat that gets dry out time they both will do a very good job.

Cuda
09-21-2009, 08:03 AM
George is right. ALL true epoxies will "amber" in sunlight. I do epoxy flooring, and if the smallest bit of sunlight comes in, if you move a rug, you will see where the rug was.