PDA

View Full Version : What oil should I run in a 270 outdrive?

lakeside
09-20-2009, 10:18 AM
What oil should I run in a 270 outdrive? What is the easiest way to change it? I have a vacuum oil changer that works great on engine oil.

Thanks,
Robert

mattyboy
09-20-2009, 10:31 AM
put the drive down there is a drain plug by the skeg an oil change pan works well under the drive to catch the oil. take out the dipstick on the top of the drive that will break the vacuum. then buy a hand pump that goes on the top of the oil bottle and pump it up from the bottom.

I used hi po synth blue oil 90 w some say it is too thick for the built in oil pump the oil is only 3 inches from the top of the drive anyway, just from aggitation will get it all lubed up

all the drives I have seen fail have been run on motor oil, granted they have run for decades that way they are pretty tuff drives

my 250 took a tad more than 3 qts

mrfixxall
09-20-2009, 11:43 AM
What oil should I run in a 270 outdrive? What is the easiest way to change it? I have a vacuum oil changer that works great on engine oil.
Thanks,
Robert

some people may have a differant opinion's but me personallly ive been running straight 30 weight in my untouched volvo for the last 25 yrs,thicker oils like 80w90 dont move as fast through the outdrive,volvo has a oil slinger in the lower half uhich acts like a oil pump moving the oil around through out the drive...use the 30 w as reccomended..

mattyboy
09-20-2009, 11:55 AM
Volvo actually wrote internal memos about going from 30w to 90 w as their recomendation. think Griz's can expand on that . not matter what route you choose check regularly for kibbles and bits o'gears and water intrusion.

f_inscreenname
09-20-2009, 08:33 PM
40wt Rotella