PDA

View Full Version : 455 Olds- it's home and alive

axelkloehn
09-18-2009, 03:14 PM
I finally picked the Olds 455 engine up for my GT21-the guy has thrown a lot of things in the deal as you can see. Price was 4500$ including the jet which seems to be a Jacuzzi, a lot of switches and gauges, original hoses, extra Mondello valve covers, exhaust tips and much more... guess it's a good deal!!

And just look at it... :shades::shades::shades:

Can't wait to put it in, but as always it's still a lot of other things to do, and still don't know whether I go for the jet or my Bravo 1...:confused::confused::confused:

Cheers Axel :germany:

axelkloehn
09-18-2009, 03:23 PM
...and the movie:

Just Say N20
09-18-2009, 03:34 PM
Very nice.

I could be wrong, but I thought marine freeze plugs were supposed to be brass.

Since he threw the jet drive in, are you considering using it?

axelkloehn
09-18-2009, 03:43 PM
Very nice.

I could be wrong, but I thought marine freeze plugs were supposed to be brass.

Since he threw the jet drive in, are you considering using it?

1. You're right, these are automotive plugs- no brass. He just gave them to me for free... for marine engines useless.
2. Well, don't know about using the jet, don't feel like making huge cutouts again after I closed and reglassed the hull and transom and made the Bravo-cutout. I'll take my time thinking about it... any suggestions? Go in!

Cheers, Axel:germany:

MOP
09-18-2009, 03:51 PM
From the sounds it is nice and tight, will watch for your updates! Should make for an interesting project, best of luck with it!

Phil

axelkloehn
09-18-2009, 03:59 PM
From the sounds it is nice and tight, will watch for your updates! Should make for an interesting project, best of luck with it!

Phil

Thanks, it did even sound better in reality, the camera is not too good...
will keep you guys updated!

mrfixxall
09-18-2009, 04:21 PM
axel,heres a few thingds to think about. if you go to a bravo your going to need a power steering pump,a sea water pump,a bravo gimbal housing,the drive,power steering rack,trim pump,etc etcetc and the list goes on..worse case with the jet you may need to change the impeller to a A or A/B..it seems alot cheeper and easier to go with the jet and you wont need all the parts lister above. if you go with the jet just make sure you have a regulator on the water line going from the pump to the engine so your not replacing the head gaskets every weekend..

just my o2

Planetwarmer
09-18-2009, 05:25 PM
What is the plus of having a jet? Don't they cause you to burn twice the fuel and don't have near the top end of a proped boat?

yeller
09-18-2009, 08:31 PM
if you go with the jet just make sure you have a regulator on the water line going from the pump to the engine so your not replacing the head gaskets every weekend..
just my o2I never had one and never had a problem with head gaskets in 18yrs.

What is the plus of having a jet? Don't they cause you to burn twice the fuel and don't have near the top end of a proped boat?That's what most people think. Based on my experience it's false. I also read an article in a boat mag many years ago that outfitted two identical boats, but with different drives and the jet was actually slightly more efficient. Mind you they were using 4 bangers and not V8's. Most of the inefficient belief is left over from the 60's when jets were the only thing that could take the big power and everyone was running dual carbs. Dual carbs suck fuel with any drive.

mrfixxall
09-18-2009, 10:10 PM
I never had one and never had a problem with head gaskets in 18yrs.

well i guess you never had 600+ hp and a B:cool: impeller?

axelkloehn
09-19-2009, 01:56 AM
axel,heres a few thingds to think about. if you go to a bravo your going to need a power steering pump,a sea water pump,a bravo gimbal housing,the drive,power steering rack,trim pump,etc etcetc and the list goes on..worse case with the jet you may need to change the impeller to a A or A/B..it seems alot cheeper and easier to go with the jet and you wont need all the parts lister above. if you go with the jet just make sure you have a regulator on the water line going from the pump to the engine so your not replacing the head gaskets every weekend..

just my o2

Yes, but the Bravo drive, power steering pump, gimbal housing, trim pump & cylinders, transom rigg is all lying around in my garage, the only things missing are a water pump (engine is feeded now by the jet pump) and sea water pump, so it is worth thinking about lining it up with the Bravo. But I have to be some kind of tricky with building a coupler.

I have never been driving a jet, don't know how it is like... :confused::confused::confused:
It has been the original drive from my GT21- but because all the parts where missing (I just bought the hull) I closed all the holes. Now I have the chance to bring it back in its original delivery condition 40 years ago. Is it worth it???

May be it is a good idea starting a vote in the forum to find out what to do.

Cheers, Axel :germany:

axelkloehn
09-19-2009, 01:59 AM
What is the plus of having a jet? Don't they cause you to burn twice the fuel and don't have near the top end of a proped boat?

That is exactly what I am asking myself. I have heard many stories like this- fuel is now up to 7$ a gallon at my place- and I have heard they are not good for any kind of rough water.... :confused::confused::confused:

Top end: If I turn my Bravo at the shaft you can really feel you turn something, guess it's a power lost up to 10%- if you turn the jet it's so easy, maybe no power lost at all. That should be A LOT BETTER for top end if the impeller is the right setup and of course the flat bottom??? It's all theory, I never drove a jet, don't have any experience at all.

Is it worth bringing the boat back in its original condition with the jet which was the delivery status 40 years ago? Will somebody pay for that? Or is it safer making it a daily driver with a bravo outdrive... I don't want to sell it in the next years but it's always an issue to think about.

CaribouLou
09-19-2009, 04:53 AM
bravo. jets are for people in trailer parks

axelkloehn
09-19-2009, 12:01 PM
...ok, and what do all others say? Left side or right side... :confused:

fogducker III
09-19-2009, 12:10 PM
IMO you should stick with the original intention of the boat, jet.

You have all the parts and the engine is set-up for the jet drive, just seems to me it is the easier and less expensive way to go...:confused:

Good luck either way you decide.....:wink:

PS. Just do me a favour and get rid of the "stack" and the valve cover hold down "wings".....

axelkloehn
09-19-2009, 12:18 PM
PS. Just do me a favour and get rid of the "stack" and the valve cover hold down "wings".....[/quote]

...what? that's original east german tuning style!!! :wink:.

Well, it's not my taste too, be sure, that will go soon....don't understand that people waste money on things like this...

yeller
09-19-2009, 05:22 PM
If I turn my Bravo at the shaft you can really feel you turn something, guess it's a power lost up to 10%- if you turn the jet it's so easy, maybe no power lost at all. That should be A LOT BETTER for top end if the impeller is the right setup and of course the flat bottom??? You will get more horsepower to the impeller than you will to the prop. The Bravo will probably waste about 10% of your horsepower and the jet won't.......but the jet isn't as efficient as the Bravo, so my guess is the Bravo will be slightly faster. I do agree with others that a jet isn't as efficient as an outdrive, but I do disagree with how much of difference most people say there is. The difference in my opinion, (from what I've experienced) is very little. My experience is from comparing my 350/Berkeley to 350/Bravo in 16C's. I have experience in no other type of setup

mrfixxall
09-19-2009, 06:05 PM
this video should give you somthing to think about,imagine how wet you can get your friends ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUX347RsFGg

axelkloehn
09-20-2009, 03:00 AM
this video should give you somthing to think about,imagine how wet you can get your friends ;)

That is s p e c t u l ar !!! :):):).

I know that 150 ft. rooster tails create a strong self confidence, but with twin-jets and 250 ft. tail it's even stronger :wink::wink::wink:. What a blast!!

The Hedgehog
09-20-2009, 09:41 AM

That is a riot.

Tex discussed similar water pressure issues in a 600+ hp jet boat. That boat was loads of fun.