PDA

View Full Version : New owner/Gas

tmh
09-18-2009, 10:21 AM
Hello,
I bought a 2003 18c a month ago that was on this site for some time from "Smokediver". I'm quite pleased so far. I've got 14, 16, and 18 year old sons and we'll be doing a fair amount of wakeboarding/skiing/barefooting. I trailer the boat for use here in Naples, Florida. I had a 22/23 Donzi fish/cuddy on a Z hull about 20 years ago that I sold shortly after my oldest son was born.

I was wondering about using automotive gas versus paying the higher prices for non ethanol gas at marinas. I was told that if I burn through the automotive gas quickly I'll be fine but that the ethanol can cause issues with the fuel system and gas tank. I'll pay the higher price for the marine grade fuel, if need be, but I'm happy to save 60-70 cents a gallon if I'm going to burn through the gas in a day, or week. I realize that automotive gas doesn't have fuel stabilizers like marine grade gas but the ethanol gas hasn't caused me issues with my old cars' fuel systems. FYI, I"ve got a 71 and 2 73 BMW's and have owned one of the 73's for 30 plus years. It's a disease similar to owning Donzi's. I've been towing the boat with the 71 and all the cars have 3.5 liter engines, with 5 speeds and LSD. The 71 pulls the boat surprisingly well but the trailer doesn't have brakes so I need to plan accordingly when braking. This is probably more than you may want to know so I apologize if I'm wasting time.

What kind of fuel do you recommend? If there are any/many local Donzi owners I'd love to get names and phone numbers for questions and to consider participating in local events or gatherings. I appreciate your feedback and have enjoyed this site. I look forward to meeing some of you in the future.
T.M. Hayes

BUIZILLA
09-18-2009, 10:57 AM
hello, I know your boat somewhat... good boat...

this is a very GOOD inquiry on your part

my first question, why is the non-ethanol fuel such a big $$$ spread? should only be about 10 cents difference, 15 tops...

VetteLT193
09-18-2009, 11:03 AM
non ethanol, from the marina, is always a big spread...

I think what Buiz is saying is you should be able to find gas on land without ethanol in it... search around.

Also, you can put Star Tron in the tank if it is going to sit. you can get Star Tron at just about any marine store. clear/blue container.

tmh
09-18-2009, 11:06 AM
The Naples City Dock is getting $3.25 a gallon for regular 89 octane gas. It's $2.65 at the gas stations locally. I haven't shopped the competing marinas and perhaps the City Dock is higher than most. I expected a difference of close to $1.00 based on years ago.
T.M. Hayes