PDA

View Full Version : Toying with the idea of a new project

Phil S
09-18-2009, 09:26 AM
...and I've read about folks converting these to "half-breeds" meaning disposing of the Jag engines / trans / electrics and replacing with a GM drivetrain. There's a company (in Texas methinks), called John's Cars and/or Broken Kitty or something that sells what you need to drop in a chevy 350 or larger.

I found this 88 model sitting in a parking lot for sale and I think it could be bought for around 2k. It ran when it was parked there over 5 years. I don't know much about these, but the guy I talked to (not the owner, he's out of the country right now), said there were only 212 of this particular model either made or imported to US ??

I realize that everything will need to be sorted out and re-built on this thing even with a new drivetrain.

Question...anybody had any experience with a project like this or familiar with half-breed Jags.

I think it would be a fun project myself, but I may be getting in over my head as I know anything parts-wise for a Jag is going to be expensive. I've restored an old TR-6 before, but those parts weren't that bad back then. Thoughts and opinions most welcomed.

Phil S

BUIZILLA
09-18-2009, 09:38 AM
buy the Caddy next to it... :convertib:

A2VeeDub
09-18-2009, 10:08 AM
A friend of mines father was working on something like that a few years back. I am not sure if he ever finished it. I'll try and look into it. Not sure what model jag, but it was a V-12 motor that he was replacing with a sbc and other chevy stuff.

gold-n-rod
09-18-2009, 10:14 AM
Good thing that's a 2 seater 'cause you'll need a place for your mechanic to ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, if you've ever read the ads in Hemmings from the John's Car guy, he is a certified nut. :shocking: I'm not sure I would want to ever deal with the guy.

BUIZILLA
09-18-2009, 10:39 AM
friend of mine did it with a 455 Buick

he's out of MD

we're talking a 10.0 sec car here, but hey..

best package is a drop in LT1 mid 90's with harness and ECM

VetteLT193
09-18-2009, 10:40 AM
If the electrical is anything like the XJ8 in my driveway....... :bonk::bonk::bonk::bonk:

Conquistador_del_mar
09-18-2009, 10:59 AM
...and I've read about folks converting these to "half-breeds" meaning disposing of the Jag engines / trans / electrics and replacing with a GM drivetrain. There's a company (in Texas methinks), called John's Cars and/or Broken Kitty or something that sells what you need to drop in a chevy 350 or larger.

I found this 88 model sitting in a parking lot for sale and I think it could be bought for around 2k. It ran when it was parked there over 5 years. I don't know much about these, but the guy I talked to (not the owner, he's out of the country right now), said there were only 212 of this particular model either made or imported to US ??

I realize that everything will need to be sorted out and re-built on this thing even with a new drivetrain.

Question...anybody had any experience with a project like this or familiar with half-breed Jags.

I think it would be a fun project myself, but I may be getting in over my head as I know anything parts-wise for a Jag is going to be expensive. I've restored an old TR-6 before, but those parts weren't that bad back then. Thoughts and opinions most welcomed.

Phil S

Phil,
I have a 1987 XJS with the conversion and a 1986 XJ6 with the original engine. John's Cars (on Jaguar Lane) is who you need to contact. They have everything you will need. You will want the 700R4 overdrive transmission to go along with whatever SBC engine you choose. I bought my car already converted with a tuned port (relatively low performance engine) from a IROC Camaro donor car. The SBC weighs so much less than the original 12 cylinder that the car will need the front springs modified or replaced to lower it. John's Cars can also adapt your tachometer for the 8 cylinder along with the speedometer, A/C, throttle, etc. parts needed. There are quite a few things that need to be done for the conversion, but they can handle all of them. Don't expect a hotrod when you get done since they are fairly heavy cars. Mine has a very quiet exhaust system and drives like a dream. It actually gets over 20MPG with the conversion. It is a deceivingly quiet and stable car which can get you in trouble - mine feels like it is doing 70MPH at 90MPH. You won't be disappointed when you get done. By the way, I get tons of compliments on my red XJS since it has such great lines and is not a car people see everyday. Bill

Phil S
09-18-2009, 09:36 PM
...again, still just toying with the prospect of taking this on.

Conquistador, etc. :) ...that is one sweeet-lookin' ride brutha. Very nice ! Jaguar lines, to me, are like Donzi lines....nothin' finer. I am certain you receive compliments on it. Very nice....and thank you for all your input !

I like the Caddy too Buiz, nothing wrong with those lines either..drop-top to boot ! I love those big-ol' GM's, Fords and Chryslers of days gone by and always thought it'd be fun to restore a big old convertible "parade" car...if nothing else. I love 'em...and one is on my bucket list.

Late 80's British Leyland worries me too GoldnRod and Vette. XJ8 though, I would think that the Lucas Prince of Darkness gremlins would be gone by now what with Ford and all...no ?

The TR6 I had was a 73, but the metallurgy (sp?) on it meant a lot of re-welding some significant frame points, nevermind the body. But I get your point completely GoldnRod....before the restoration, I came home on a hook many times. I have a fine appreciation for the stars...as most TR-6 owners do...spending so much time tilted upwards and all. I bought it with grass-cuttin' money as my first car. It was a beater, but cool to me, and all I could afford. When I sold it many years later (when my twins were born), it was reliable and somewhat quick. (triple webers, re-worked head..(had to, no lead in gas anymore (my wife bought it at the time)), roller-rocker, elec ign, etc.)

Thanks GoldnRod for a "flashback". Heck, I used to subscribe to Hemmings, and I had completely forgotten about it ! What I've read on John's Cars website sounds like he is as eccentric as a british car...surely worse and maybe I'll find out. ?

MP, thanks for your "vote"...I tend to agree, it is a cool car...and it sounds like it might not be such a "project" after all....it grows more tempting by the minute. Love your avatar thingy's btw...they always crack me up as do other's...gotta love GoldnRods', Hedgehogs', RT's florist, and Boxy's as well. Love the trash-talk going on over there as well.

Owner is supposed to be back in the country in 2 weeks. I've been told he has 4 other Jags similar to this one that run. I understand Jaguar "pureists" (?), but I tend to like getting to where I am going, and I've seen enough stars. I agree MP (cool car) and Conquistador de Bill :), she's a beauty in the rough...kitty at the pound so to speak. Worried if I have enough coin laying around to bail her out...

If my 11 year old daughter wasn't so worried about global warming NOW (what's up with that ?), the Jag half breed would make for a nice 16 year birthday gift methinks (it would probably take me just about that long anyway). She'll probably refuse to drive it and want a Prius.

My bigger problem lies with my son wanting a Bugatti Veyron !! (my fault) :shocking:

At any rate, I've got a couple weeks before the owner gets back from overseas to decide and debate with my wife whether I even have enough energy left in me to be crawling under cars anymore, cuss at Britons whilst doing so, (no offense here btw), etc. (I DVR "Top Gear" and love watching it my Britain friends !)

How difficult would it be to marinize (sp?) a V-12 Jag motor to fit a Ragazza 17.....in time for AOTH next year ?

just kiddin' (about the v-12 stuff anyway)...most grateful for your replies...

Again, thanks for all your all's input...not sure yet, but again, thanks !

Phil S.

Conquistador_del_mar
09-18-2009, 09:48 PM
Phil,
Jaguars might not be for everyone with all their notorious problems, but they sure do ride well and look great. If nothing else, they have great suspension systems, solid hinged doors, and desireable rear ends. What else could a guy want? - lol Bill

Phil S
09-18-2009, 10:34 PM
they sure do ride well and look great.

have great suspension systems

and desireable rear ends.

What else could a guy want?

I've got nothing.....you nailed it. :)

i may have to paint it silver before i drag it home....

(checking balance in account as we speak), (and yes, if it's shiny and silver, how can one make an argument that it is not "jewelry" ! (wish me luck on that ! ) forgiveness...forgiveness...forgiveness... :wink:

mrfixxall
09-18-2009, 10:56 PM
Phil,
I have a 1987 XJS with the conversion and a 1986 XJ6 with the original engine. John's Cars (on Jaguar Lane) is who you need to contact. They have everything you will need. You will want the 700R4 overdrive transmission to go along with whatever SBC engine you choose. I bought my car already converted with a tuned port (relatively low performance engine) from a IROC Camaro donor car. The SBC weighs so much less than the original 12 cylinder that the car will need the front springs modified or replaced to lower it. John's Cars can also adapt your tachometer for the 8 cylinder along with the speedometer, A/C, throttle, etc. parts needed. There are quite a few things that need to be done for the conversion, but they can handle all of them. Don't expect a hotrod when you get done since they are fairly heavy cars. Mine has a very quiet exhaust system and drives like a dream. It actually gets over 20MPG with the conversion. It is a deceivingly quiet and stable car which can get you in trouble - mine feels like it is doing 70MPH at 90MPH. You won't be disappointed when you get done. By the way, I get tons of compliments on my red XJS since it has such great lines and is not a car people see everyday. Bill

After reading the first part.....Bill has one!!!! and bingo you beat me to it:)

MOP
09-19-2009, 06:38 AM
There is one the sedans out my way with a SB Ford, he loves the car but has had issues with the Lucas wiring from what I have heard it is a common issue. Last I heard he was buying a replacement wiring setup, I thought better him then me.

BUIZILLA
09-19-2009, 06:44 AM
Caddy have RED interior? what year? 61-62's with factory aluminum rims are worth some buck's...

Cuda
09-19-2009, 07:57 AM
Phil,
I have a 1987 XJS with the conversion and a 1986 XJ6 with the original engine. John's Cars (on Jaguar Lane) is who you need to contact. They have everything you will need. You will want the 700R4 overdrive transmission Bill

I had that same transmission in a 1984 Jimmy. The tranny burned up, and when I took it to the transmission guy, he said to look at his repair manual. The pages for rebuilding that transmission were the greasiest in his book.:shocking:

Cuda
09-19-2009, 08:00 AM
There is one the sedans out my way with a SB Ford, he loves the car but has had issues with the Lucas wiring from what I have heard it is a common issue. Last I heard he was buying a replacement wiring setup, I thought better him then me.
My first thought is a small block Ford is much smaller physically than a small block chebby, and would be good for some of these engine swap outs.

Conquistador_del_mar
09-19-2009, 09:32 AM
I had that same transmission in a 1984 Jimmy. The tranny burned up, and when I took it to the transmission guy, he said to look at his repair manual. The pages for rebuilding that transmission were the greasiest in his book.:shocking:

All you have to do is find the right guy to build them up - sort of like Velvet Drive 72C marine transmissions. I know the 700R-4 can be built to take over 650HP with no problems sort of like the 72C can be built to take 1400HP. We have both type builders in my area. My transmission builder only charged me $650 for a custom built 700R4 with a hard shift into 2nd gear and capable of over 650HP - he supplied the tranny and torque convertor - all for the $650. He races one in his custom built Camaro. Don't be scared of 700R-4s. Bill

Cuda
09-19-2009, 09:44 AM
All you have to do is find the right guy to build them up - sort of like Velvet Drive 72C marine transmissions. I know the 700R-4 can be built to take over 650HP with no problems sort of like the 72C can be built to take 1400HP. We have both type builders in my area. My transmission builder only charged me $650 for a custom built 700R4 with a hard shift into 2nd gear and capable of over 650HP - he supplied the tranny and torque convertor - all for the $650. He races one in his custom built Camaro. Don't be scared of 700R-4s. Bill
I've heard of the transmission being used in hi performance conditions. That picture of his work manual always pops into my mind. :)

It's like the Merc tranny I had rebuilt for the 22. I had it clearanced, and with two more clutch plates put in. The mechanic said it was good for 650 hp.