PDA

View Full Version : Cougar 22 (Donzi 22 C)

AR-Cougar
09-17-2009, 05:09 PM
Hi everyone.

I'm new to Donzi.

Had a short ride in a 22 C…. she blew my mind.:nilly:

There are only four original 22 C down here in Argentina, none of which are on sale (I wonder why).

Nevertheless, last week I found/bought a “Cougar” built basis a 1990's Donzi 22 C original mold..
Have a 260 HP Mercruiser 5.0 MPI / Alfa One package. She's running 60 MPH; also have a very big smile now.

While I’m anxiously waiting for the weekend to start, I’ve been reading the forums (grate info btw!) and have some questions for you:

1) Flaps:
Don’t have.
Haven’t had much time for testing yet but so far the boat rides steady and balanced. Trim seams to make the trick.

See most 22 C have flaps. Is there a real advantage?

2) Fuel consumption:
Yet to be established. Previous owner mentioned:
aprox 11/12 GPH @ 4.6/5.000 RPM
aprox 7/8 GPH @ 3.000 RPM.

Closest info I found: http://www.mercurymarine.com/look_deeper/boat_house_bulletin.php?ID=15&SortBy=Title&Section=mercruiserChecks&mercV8=15&merc260300=17

Any idea of what I should expect?

3) Exhaust covers:
Saw many 22 C / other Donzi models with and w/o.
My mechanic recommended placing covers to protect engine from water on sudden stop/reverse.

What’s the opinion here?

Here are some pics of my Cougar.

Thanks,
Pedro

joseph m. hahnl
09-17-2009, 05:28 PM
Hi everyone.

I'm new to Donzi.

Had a short ride in a 22 C…. she blew my mind.:nilly:

There are only four original 22 C down here in Argentina, none of which are on sale (I wonder why).

Nevertheless, last week I found/bought a “Cougar” built basis a 1990's Donzi 22 C original mold..
Have a 260 HP Mercruiser 5.0 MPI / Alfa One package. She's running 60 MPH; also have a very big smile now.

While I’m anxiously waiting for the weekend to start, I’ve been reading the forums (grate info btw!) and have some questions for you:

1) Flaps:
Don’t have.
Haven’t had much time for testing yet but so far the boat rides steady and balanced. Trim seams to make the trick.

See most 22 C have flaps. Is there a real advantage?

2) Fuel consumption:
Yet to be established. Previous owner mentioned:
aprox 11/12 GPH @ 4.6/5.000 RPM
aprox 7/8 GPH @ 3.000 RPM.

Closest info I found: http://www.mercurymarine.com/look_deeper/boat_house_bulletin.php?ID=15&SortBy=Title&Section=mercruiserChecks&mercV8=15&merc260300=17

Any idea of what I should expect?

3) Exhaust covers:
Saw many 22 C / other Donzi models with and w/o.
My mechanic recommended placing covers to protect engine from water on sudden stop/reverse.

What’s the opinion here?

Here are some pics of my Cougar.

Thanks,
Pedro

Trim tabs allow you to balance the weights of passenger, along with being able to trim up to increase rpm on the prop while still driving the bow:kingme:.

Flappers on the exhaust are a must in my opinion:wink:.

gcarter
09-17-2009, 06:34 PM
Another person posted about a year or two ago from Argentina with a "Cougar", but his was an 18 if I remember correctly. You might try the search feature.
Welcome aboard.

chappy
09-17-2009, 06:35 PM
Welcome to the Board, and very nice boat you've got there.

I agree with Joe;

Tabs are a good thing to have. I never use mine, but mine's an 18, and I usually run alone.

Exhaust flaps can't hurt in my opinion.

I'd like to see a pic of your boat on a trailer or lift, to check out the hull.

Just Say N20
09-17-2009, 06:39 PM
Welcome!

Exhaust flaps; YES. No bad effects from having them. Good to keep water out of the engine.

Fuel consumption would be higher than previous own posted. Mercury numbers look more like I would expect from a 5.0L

Nice looking boat.

CaribouLou
09-17-2009, 07:14 PM
It IS a 5.0....

olredalert
09-17-2009, 07:53 PM
-----Geez,,,Im not seeing your boat doing 60 with a 5.0. Hope I dont ruffle any feathers. The boat does look like a pretty darn good splash, though. How are the other 22s powered???
-----Oh yah,,,Flaps on exhaust and transom are both good.....Says,,,,,, Mr.Bill

CaribouLou
09-17-2009, 08:46 PM
x2 on that. How can a 260hp 5.0 (305.....) push a 22' boat to 60mph with a 22p when there's big blocks that can only do 65......

Something isn't adding up here. Either that boat is made out of balsa wood, or the speedo isn't right.

gold-n-rod
09-17-2009, 09:27 PM
x2 on that. How can a 260hp 5.0 (305.....) push a 22' boat to 60mph with a 22p when there's big blocks that can only do 65......

My 5.0 pushes the 16 to 62. I'm not feeling the 22'/60mph love.

CaribouLou
09-17-2009, 09:36 PM
My 5.0 pushes the 16 to 62. I'm not feeling the 22'/60mph love.

Agreed.

AR-Cougar
09-17-2009, 09:44 PM
Thanks for welcome/replies.

-----Geez,,,Im not seeing your boat doing 60 with a 5.0. Hope I dont ruffle any feathers. The boat does look like a pretty darn good splash, though.

Something isn't adding up here. Either that boat is made out of balsa wood, or the speedo isn't right.
Boat net weight = 2 tons basis documents / (3 tons gross). What's the weight of a 22C Donzi ?
Speedometer not installed. Max speed tested in still waters w/GPS.
GPS reading = 96.2 Km/Hr = 59.776 MPH = 51.943 Knots @ 5000 RPM.
Prop can be seen in picture. Can't tell much more technical specs.

CaribouLou
09-17-2009, 09:47 PM
The weight of a 22C will really depend on how its setup. Mine, probably is slightly different then most, due to the fact its a OMC King Cobra/ Ford big block vs the 454/merc you'll find on most. I'm sure there isn't much of a difference between mine and a 454/bravo boat though....

wow....60mph on GPS with a 22p @5k with a 305.....

I'm seeing 65-67 on GPS @ 5100rpms....with a 460.....fml

AR-Cougar
09-17-2009, 09:52 PM
Welcome to the Board, and very nice boat you've got there.
I agree with Joe;
Tabs are a good thing to have. I never use mine, but mine's an 18, and I usually run alone.
Exhaust flaps can't hurt in my opinion.
I'd like to see a pic of your boat on a trailer or lift, to check out the hull.
Thanks. There you go.

chappy
09-18-2009, 07:06 AM
Very nice, thanks for the pic.

Best of luck with her.:thumbsup:

MOP
09-18-2009, 08:06 AM
I can see the boat hitting near 60, actual weight may be a little lower. The 23" wheel turning 5,000 tells me it must be a 1:65 ratio drive. Looking at the way the boat sits in the water the weight transfer is different then my 22 with a small block, as some know I have a lot more weight aft yet my drive cap at rest is about 1-1/2" up out of the water where as his is well under water. That says to me this boat is much lighter forward, that could very well make up for the better speed setup that way. That boat sits in the water like a big block boat, weight being farther aft is a factor when trying to go fast.

Trim tabs are a very nice feature, they balance the boat side to side to compensate for weight movement, they allow you to adjust the attitude in varying sea conditions. Another biggy by dropping them full down they let you run straight with your hand off the wheel at idle speeds instead of wearing the steering out compensating for the deep V wag! Exhaust flappers are a must even more so being the boat sits low in the stern. I run a mild 383 and find fuel consumption to be easy to take, at an easy cruise I get a tad over 4mpg which I feel is very good. Having been at several Donzi events the difference between SB & BB fuel consumption is noticeable, but they enjoy higher speeds that I not really want when I planned my setup.

Planetwarmer
09-18-2009, 05:40 PM
I use my tabs on my 22C all the time. You can really make them ride smooth in some fairly rough sea conditions. They also help in getting the boat on plane fast. In your case with the 5.0L, that may really make a huge difference. I highly recommend running trim tabs.

I have the Bennett single-ram trim tabs

AR-Cougar
10-05-2009, 10:55 AM
Thank you all for your replies.

Benett tabs installed last week. They really make a difference.
Exhaust flaps still pending as I'll have to get them from the US.

Couple of Tabs pics attached.

CaribouLou
10-05-2009, 12:54 PM
Good deal, I couldn't imagine my 22 w/o tabs

osur866
10-05-2009, 06:01 PM
Do the exhaust tips have internal flappers in them?? If so IMO no need for external flappers. I have a 18 with a 6.2 and the fuel compustion isnt bad at cruise, 3650 rpm @ 52-54 mph however running hard does impact the fuel guage :wink:, Steve

Carl C
10-05-2009, 06:23 PM
Nice boat. Glad you got the tabs but they should have been mounted higher. Did you lose any speed with them? Get some exhaust flaps on asap. Are you sure you don't have internal flappers? Look into the exhaust tip for them. Ha, Steve beat me to the internal flapper thingy!

BUIZILLA
10-05-2009, 06:28 PM
compustion :boggled:

Carl C
10-05-2009, 06:32 PM
a 18, isnt, guage, compustion

:boggled::nilly::nilly::nilly:

AR-Cougar
10-06-2009, 11:00 AM
Do the exhaust tips have internal flappers in them?

Nice boat. Glad you got the tabs but they should have been mounted higher. Did you lose any speed with them? Get some exhaust flaps on asap. Are you sure you don't have internal flappers? Look into the exhaust tip for them. Ha, Steve beat me to the internal flapper thingy!

No flappers in there. I've requested a couple last week (will have them here in 15 days). Will be careful till then.

Tabs location did not affect speed. They were mounted just in the edge and aligned with the hull.
When fully up, they have a negative angle (first couple of inches down don't affect balance). Only after that I get balanced with very little adjustment.

Carl C
10-06-2009, 11:13 AM
Sounds good. Generally the tabs are mounted about a half inch (13 mm) up. A lot of these true deep V hulls need some tab to keep the boat level. I run a little port tab at anything below WOT. Dropping both tabs a little will help the boat run flat over the rough stuff. It's cool to see the new members from different countries.:)

smbarcelow
10-06-2009, 12:31 PM
It's cool to see the new members from different countries.:)

Agreed!