PDA

View Full Version : so, I'm now building 2 engines...

BUIZILLA
09-17-2009, 03:55 PM
got a 383 (stroked 350) 4.030/5.7 rod, non vortec, hyd flat tappet, Sportsman II 72cc non ported steel heads, LT1 intake, 750 ProSystems carb, all parts are bought, in progress right now, should be on a dyno within 10-14 days... :kingme:

next is a 395 (destroked 400) hyd roller, real light crank and rods, 6.0 rod, CNC ported 64cc alum heads, internally balanced ... :shades:

then a refresh/upgrade on an existing 383.... :angel:

all small blocks, of course... :cool:

all will be limited to 5800 rpm

gonna test the limits/tuning of this new and sh1tty alky pump fuel we gotta buy...

why? just because...

anybody wanna guess how much compression and power we end up with?

BlownCrewCab
09-17-2009, 05:58 PM
Why did you take away from the 400???? What CR are you going to end up with? also, What are you going to test, How much timing/Air fuel Ratio kinda Stuff? are you going to be able to Log Data? (Cool stuff, I Like/Love Building Motors)

BUIZILLA
09-17-2009, 07:24 PM
wanted better rod ratio on the 395... 3.625 x 4.165 instead of 3.750 x 4.125, the pin is welllll into the oil rail groove... :wink:

compression is a test question.. :lookaroun:

dyno-yes, data log-yes, 8 egt monitors-yes, a/f monitor-yes, knock sensor-yes

BlownCrewCab
09-17-2009, 07:32 PM
The long rod is free power, And alot less cyl wall wear. I try to explain this to people and the look at me as if I'm speaking Jibberish, Well I was Drunk, But Still, whats not to get....

MOP
09-17-2009, 08:03 PM
Why the 5.7 rods in the 383? 6" seems to be the best combo.

BUIZILLA
09-17-2009, 08:11 PM
6" seems to be the best combo. why?

Donzi_Dude
09-17-2009, 08:13 PM
hyd flat tappet

cam specs?

CR or piston style?

cant make a guess without knowing?

:)

BERTRAM BOY
09-17-2009, 08:25 PM
why?

Longer piston dwell @ TDC?

BUIZILLA
09-17-2009, 08:48 PM
CR
you tell me, that's a test question...

Donzi_Dude
09-17-2009, 08:52 PM
you tell me, that's a test question...

OK, well its an open ended question unless i know the piston style and cam specs.

they have a big impact on cylinder pressure unless you didnt know.

BUIZILLA
09-17-2009, 08:56 PM
of course I know, don't be a fool... I intend to move lobes and firing order around...

now, my question to YOU is, what piston is best for this junk alky fuel? not that I know the answer yet, just curious what YOU think..

Lenny
09-17-2009, 09:07 PM
I intend to move lobes and firing order around...

'bought time you got yer head outta yur ass and ventured around again :D

...built sump'in etc :D

WELCOME BACK !!!

Let's see, what would THAT fit into ??? ;)

Donzi_Dude
09-17-2009, 09:13 PM
now, my question to YOU is, what piston is best for this junk alky fuel? not that I know the answer yet, just curious what YOU think..

fair enough,

i would go with a flat top. the fuel dont seem to care much about piston style. what it does care about is final tune.

'now if you give me lift and duration i will give you my guess.

:)

BUIZILLA
09-17-2009, 09:17 PM
Len, the 395 should be ready when you get here... it know's where it's headed...

BUIZILLA
09-17-2009, 09:31 PM
i would go with a flat top. the fuel dont seem to care much about piston style. flat it is, for now... I disagree that fuel doesn't care about piston style, it DOES very much care...

mrfixxall
09-17-2009, 09:33 PM
Buiz, goin E85?

Donzi_Dude
09-17-2009, 09:33 PM
flat it is, for now... I disagree that fuel doesn't care about piston style, it DOES very much care...

i didnt say fuel doesnt care. i said the 10% stuff dont care as long as you have the octane to carry your CR...

:wink:

BUIZILLA
09-17-2009, 09:38 PM
the fuel dont seem to care much about piston style.

i didnt say fuel doesnt care. i said the 10% stuff dont care as long as you have the octane to carry your CR...
:wink: I guess I missed where you said the 10% part the first time..

no E85 junk Mike... that's not fuel.. that's shaving cream...

Donzi_Dude
09-17-2009, 09:40 PM
I guess I missed where you said the 10% part the first time..

i didnt actually say it. i just assumed that was what what we where talking about.

:shark:

mrfixxall
09-17-2009, 09:42 PM
I guess I missed where you said the 10% part the first time..

no E85 junk Mike... that's not fuel.. that's shaving cream...

just had to ask, for the compression thang:) it has hi octane ratings..

it know's where it's headed... ,,,,mabe a bench seat 18:wink:

BUIZILLA
09-17-2009, 09:48 PM
first 383 is for a car... :convertib:

395 and second 383 is for floaters :boat:

glashole
09-18-2009, 06:30 AM
this is a touch off topic but would you ever think of marinizing a small diesel motor?

BlownCrewCab
09-18-2009, 06:44 AM
Lately (last 45+ years) one of the Big power advances has been in Piston/Head/ Quench/Combustion Chamber shape and how/where the Piston Loads the Combustion chamber for Firing. Theres so much more to be had than just filling a dome shape with a flat slug and adding spark.
Hendrick Motorsports Just made 900hp with 13.1 compression ratio 355ci (last year was 850) They look for every Pony they can find and combustion chamber shape has been Huge.

I know Buiz already knew this, But some may not.

BUIZILLA
09-18-2009, 07:33 AM
BCC is correct... a VERY good and tight friend of mine's son runs the ARCA Series, he's currently 4th in points in only his rookie year, and the fastest SB2 Chevy in the series... he bought all 14 of Wallace's cars earlier this year, and every engine.. i've been paying attention... :cool: I may screw this up royally, but it's gonna be interesting...

MOP
09-18-2009, 08:32 AM
Jim keep tinkering!!! If it were not for many guys like you and others we would not have the advancements in engine technology that we do and more to come!

Cuda
09-18-2009, 10:16 AM
this is a touch off topic but would you ever think of marinizing a small diesel motor?
Mastry Marine put a diesel in a 22. I think it did about 90. Look on this site for more info. I think Mr X had something to do with it.

Cuda
09-18-2009, 10:18 AM
BCC is correct... a VERY good and tight friend of mine's son runs the ARCA Series, he's currently 4th in points in only his rookie year, and the fastest SB2 Chevy in the series... he bought all 14 of Wallace's cars earlier this year, and every engine.. i've been paying attention... :cool: I may screw this up royally, but it's gonna be interesting...
I went to the ARCA race at Daytona in 1985. It looked like a demolition derby. I've never seen so many wrecks.

BUIZILLA
09-18-2009, 10:47 AM
ARCA is awesome today..

watch the #16 Coulter Racing, Darrell Gwynn/Tempest Cycle car, totally family funded

they also run a late model, and a Hooter's Cup Truck

one of my dually Duramax's, and my last race car trailer went to them, he just bought a new KW and custom Compomotive trailer as well.. :shocking:

he rents the old Kenny Bernstein facility in Charlotte, and some space at Gwynn's in Davie, and is actually trying to buy a 165 acre facility outside Statesville/Mooresville today

that's my boy :kingme:

BlownCrewCab
09-18-2009, 11:53 AM
Where I grew up in Miami was only a few Blocks from Darryl Gwynn's House/Shop. My Brother and Sisters went to school with him, I still am A Huge DG Fan, In fact I carry a Scaled down Top Fuel Piston & Rod on my Keychain That Darryl Made. Very Unfortunate what happened to him, But he seems to keep his Moral up and get out to events and stuff. I was at Hollywood speedway when he Raced his first race against Big Daddy and won.

roadtrip se
09-18-2009, 01:00 PM
Mastry Marine put a diesel in a 22. I think it did about 90. Look on this site for more info. I think Mr X had something to do with it.

No. Urban legend.

BUIZILLA
09-18-2009, 01:09 PM
I think Mr X said 81-82

Cuda
09-18-2009, 05:22 PM
I think Mr X said 81-82
It may have been 81 or 82, but I know for a fact it was no urban legend. I know a guy that worked for Mastry at the time, and Masty's daughter worked with my younger brother, and that's a fact, no some urban legend. Some people (Not Buiz) should stick to what they know, if anything.

BUIZILLA
09-19-2009, 06:28 AM
little delay, need to move some exh lobes around... have to have Cam Motion grind me another cam on Monday... wrong rods (press instead of bushed) in a correctly labled box :nilly: heads also came in with wrong chambers in a correctly labled box... :bonk:what's with these manuf's anyway's?? everybody get laid off in quality control/shipping dept? had to buy another intake too... on waiting list at Wilson's now as a result... :frown: dammm ......... not to mention I had to return a crate engine to a high profile vendor yesterday for VERY misleading advertising, and quality control issues...

Donzi_Dude
09-19-2009, 07:37 PM
had to return a crate engine to a high profile vendor yesterday for VERY misleading advertising, and quality control issues...

care to share who so others dont step in the same pile of do, do?

Rootsy
09-19-2009, 08:37 PM
with this crappy fuel I would start out with a tight quench D-dish piston. Measure the stack-up and get that sucker to just about kiss at WOT once everything has grown. Adjust the dynamic with the valve timing and give a poop less about the static. You need to keep this crap atomized, get it uniform and get a good flame kernel and geometry to guide the flame front....

BUIZILLA
09-19-2009, 09:24 PM
care to share who so others dont step in the same pile of do, do? Year One.. they are paying the freight, and crediting my credit card in full... that's what started this engine deal going on now... I also had to return 2 sets of shorty headers, from 2 different manuf's that didn't fit either.. and 2 different sets of poly motor mounts that were BOTH 3/8" short.. it's been a week...

with this crappy fuel I would start out with a tight quench D-dish piston. Measure the stack-up and get that sucker to just about kiss at WOT once everything has grown. Adjust the dynamic with the valve timing and give a poop less about the static. You need to keep this crap atomized, get it uniform and get a good flame kernel and geometry to guide the flame front.... I would love the close quench, but i'm dealing with a stamped numbers match block for a numbers match car, so it's going in the hole about 020-025 with flat tops... gonna concentrate on chambers and port velocity starting at the carb base, hence the call to Wilson's... 10-4 on the valve timing, hence another cam next week.. :wink: gotta work around some obstacles... wish I could use some .906 lifters... this engine is for a car, but I can get a GOOD feel for how it runs and responds before the next two come on line...

Lenny
09-19-2009, 09:24 PM
with this crappy fuel I would start out with a tight quench D-dish piston. Measure the stack-up and get that sucker to just about kiss at WOT once everything has grown. Adjust the dynamic with the valve timing and give a poop less about the static. You need to keep this crap atomized, get it uniform and get a good flame kernel and geometry to guide the flame front....

...exactly what I was thinking Jamie... :bonk:

love the lingo, but am lost on the specifics. Sounds great tho. :yes:

I will try that as my "lead in line" tonight when I beg for sex... :D

Donzi_Dude
09-19-2009, 09:35 PM

i guess i missed the part where the last 10HP was crucial, then again will the loss in static be overcome by such gains?

IMHO unlikely.

Donzi_Dude
09-20-2009, 07:05 AM
It does matter. The engine being discussed is not a full bore race engine, it's a street engine, and will run street fuel with ethanol, not race gas..

im well aware of that fact. i have not read HR or CC in 20 years but Rootsy seems to have intimate knowledge of both.

the man contradicts himself in the same paragraph. going by his statements it doesnt matter if an engine is 8:1 or 10:1 and of course both engines will have mastered fluid dynamics, something i seem to have a real knack for.

:pimp:

Rootsy
09-20-2009, 07:47 AM
im well aware of that fact. i have not read HR or CC in 20 years but Rootsy seems to have intimate knowledge of both.
the man contradicts himself in the same paragraph. going by his statements it doesnt matter if an engine is 8:1 or 10:1 and of course both engines will have mastered fluid dynamics, something i seem to have a real knack for.
:pimp:

I can make an 8:1 engine pre-ignite like a mofo and a 10:1 engine run as smooth as silk... on the same fuel... 87 octane E10 or E15 to be exact...

BUIZILLA
09-20-2009, 09:34 AM
mastered fluid dynamics, something i seem to have a real knack for. fluid dynamics? in an air pump???

ya know, on the one hand you might have something positive to offer here, and I might be interested, but since you've come onboard you've yet to prove anything you have stated anywhere, on any topic, about anything, including WHO you are, so at this point I have to just ignore any input from you, and politely ask that you to stay off my topic until you even basically identify yourself, and that may be too bad for both of us, and everyone else here...

Donzi_Dude
09-20-2009, 10:41 AM
fluid dynamics? in an air pump???

yes, thats the priciple @ work.

ya know, on the one hand you might have something positive to offer here, and I might be interested, but since you've come onboard you've yet to prove anything you have stated anywhere, on any topic, about anything, including WHO you are, so at this point I have to just ignore any input from you, and politely ask that you to stay off my topic until you even basically identify yourself, and that may be too bad for both of us, and everyone else here...

OK fair enough.

you have to forgive me though for not identifying myself. i dont feel compelled to do so considering how i have been shown zero respect and ridicule for everything i have to offer.

I can make an 8:1 engine pre-ignite like a mofo and a 10:1 engine run as smooth as silk... on the same fuel... 87 octane E10 or E15 to be exact...

im sure you can. infact, it the first thing you have posted in response to my comments on this site that i agree with. the rest has been rubbish.

BUIZILLA
09-21-2009, 10:16 PM
waiting on parts.... :crossfing: