PDA

View Full Version : HI. I'm new here to the registry...need Donzi info

nuttyboater
09-17-2009, 07:38 AM
I have been looking into the Donzi classics and was wondering if there are certain years of these boats that had problems with the stringers deteriorating. Seems like there have been several I have come across that have problem....especially in the 80's. Is that something to look out for? Are some years better than others?

Carl C
09-17-2009, 07:40 AM
:popcorn:.............welcome aboard.

mattyboy
09-17-2009, 10:02 AM
classics from any era could have rot issues with coring, transom,stringers and the biggy the fuel tank.

it depends on care and the life it leads, but certain models have their own problem areas to look for

so perhaps you could give us some more info on what models you have been looking at

welcome I hope you find what you're looking for

nuttyboater
09-17-2009, 12:55 PM
Thanks for the welcome guys!
I have been looking at the Classic 18's and 22's-like the 2 +3 models. Also have looked at a Hornet III. On the classics, they were late 80's models and the few I found all stated they had stringer "detabbing", or needed replacing. Thought maybe late 80's were just bad years?
:confused:

Barry Eller
09-17-2009, 05:09 PM
Thanks for the welcome guys!
I have been looking at the Classic 18's and 22's-like the 2 +3 models. Also have looked at a Hornet III. On the classics, they were late 80's models and the few I found all stated they had stringer "detabbing", or needed replacing. Thought maybe late 80's were just bad years?
:confused:

I think you also need to understand than ANY 80's boat could have these problems. 2009-1980=29 years of age.

Welcome and good luck.

olredalert
09-17-2009, 07:46 PM
------Yup,,,What Barry said!!! The boats that need stringers and such are generally the ones that show up on E-bay (not that good boats dont also hit E-bay every now and then). The good ones either trade to a friend or sell easily here on the website. Just sayin'.........Mr.Bill

Donzi Vol
09-17-2009, 07:53 PM
classics from any era could have rot issues with coring, transom,stringers and the biggy the fuel tank.

it depends on care and the life it leads, but certain models have their own problem areas to look for

so perhaps you could give us some more info on what models you have been looking at

welcome I hope you find what you're looking for

Ditto. I just purchased a 1970 18 Classic and I'm amazed at the condition it is in. Usually buying a 70's Donzi means popping the cap and replacing the gas tank, however unless I'm sitting in the engine compartment I don't smell gas. It has 274 original hours, and apparently the original owner took emaculate care of it for it to be in the condition it is in.

All that to say that it really just depends on the boat and how it has been treated. Generally speaking, the 80's model boats are usually really solid and a great place to start. However, as it has been stated before, you're talking about a 25ish year old boat...it's going to need some things here and there.

My advice would be to keep looking and not tire until you find the right one. There are several in the For Sale section right now. There's also plenty of help around here if you need some more guidance or help in finding the right one. Don't be afraid to speak up.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Donzi's!

thescooter
09-17-2009, 07:55 PM
wellcome aboard.
remember any boat could have problems . my brother bought a new 2008 formula with issues. sorry to say but that is what boating is sometime about. just be carefull.
nick the scooter

nuttyboater
09-17-2009, 08:38 PM
Thanks again guys!
Yeah, most of what I have seen with problems has been on the web, ebay, etc., It hasn't detoured me none, though! I'm going to keep lookin' --they are the coolest looking boats I've seen, and I love the old classics!!

BUIZILLA
09-17-2009, 08:52 PM
Ditto. however unless I'm sitting in the engine compartment I don't smell gas. so, you smell gas there and nowhere else?

Donzi Racer
09-17-2009, 09:20 PM
so, you smell gas there and nowhere else?

Boy, you cannot mention Gas within 50 feet of an older Donzi unless you want there to be a deck lifting party going on at your house this weekend. Don't you know better than that? Geeez a louise! How many times do I have to tell you, no Gas smell, No Gas smell. Now tell them that you had your head stuffed up to your nose in the dang Carb or it will be hell to pay! Uncle Tommy

Donzi Vol
09-17-2009, 09:46 PM
so, you smell gas there and nowhere else?

I was actually being a little facetious there. I was just saying that I don't smell gas unless I'm messing with the gas (as in carb, fuel lines, etc). There aren't any overwhelming fumes throughout the boat that would worry me. We're good. Sorry for the confusion...

BlownCrewCab
09-18-2009, 09:25 AM
Boy, you cannot mention Gas within 50 feet of an older Donzi unless you want there to be a deck lifting party going on at your house this weekend. Don't you know better than that? Geeez a louise! How many times do I have to tell you, no Gas smell, No Gas smell. Now tell them that you had your head stuffed up to your nose in the dang Carb or it will be hell to pay! Uncle Tommy

A Deck lifting Party....Thats some Funny Sh*t right there....:yes: