PDA

View Full Version : Was I wrong? How dangerous?

gold-n-rod
09-16-2009, 08:59 PM
I have an apartment for rent. It happens to be connected to our summer home where my wife spends considerable time.

I got a call from a prospective tenant who's in the Coast Guard and also says he's a federal law officer (marshall, I presume). Over the course of the telephone conversation, I determined he was a straight up guy. He called me from his cell and asked for directions to "drive by." While he was there, I decided, (instead of driving a 6 hour round trip to show the place) to let him do a "self-guided tour." I walked him through where the key was hidden, how to enter the main house (needed to go through to get to the apartment) and finally the tour.

He was very professional and even talked me through his exit from the apartment/house ("Sir, I have turned off all the lights, locked the doors and replaced the key in its hiding place").

Now, my wife is all freaked out. She's worried about this guy knowing how to enter the house. My take is that I never would have done it if I wasn't reasonably sure he was a stand up guy.

Frankly, she watches CSI and all that crap on TV and I think it clouds her judgement. In my 54 years on earth, I've never witnessed or experienced any of the crime seen on TV. That's my reality.

So, would you have offered a "self-guided tour?" Keep in mind, this is not LA, but a sleepy little resort town and the arm of service this man represents is very honorable. In fact, he said he's the office in command while on duty.

Am I too trusting, based on a phone call?
Am I putting my wife's future safety at risk?
Are my "guts" not reliable?

penbroke
09-16-2009, 09:21 PM
If she's that upset get a locksmith to do his thing and hide the outside key somewhere else. It's hard to know exactly when and when not to trust your fellow man...

I probably would have done the same, and found myself in the same situation...

Frank

Cuda
09-16-2009, 09:23 PM
Move the key.

Ghost
09-16-2009, 09:37 PM
You're both right. If she's freaked, change out the cores in the locks and do something completely different with the key. Her peace of mind and her buy-in to the the measures to protect her safety are both critical, even though your gut assessment about this person is likely correct.

Mike

gold-n-rod
09-16-2009, 09:41 PM
Keep in mind who else knows the location of said key..... the plumber, his assistant(s), the electrician, the boat mechanic and probably a few others. It's not a deep, dark secret by any means.

gold-n-rod
09-16-2009, 09:55 PM
Real jewelry... :nilly: :nilly: :nilly:
You mean dis?
http://www.searchviews.com/wp-content/themes/clean-copy-full-3-column-1/images/bling.jpg

mrfixxall
09-16-2009, 10:45 PM
Move the keys and dont tell the insurance man then delete this trend..

Conquistador_del_mar
09-16-2009, 10:48 PM
I make decisions all the time using my gut impressions of the person. If your gut decisions are as accurate as mine, then you should never have any problem come from this one. In many ways, the guy you let into the house should have as many concerns as yourself in the off chance something happens soon after he left. I don't put myself in that position for that very reason, but I suppose an infrequent break in the rules is sometimes unavoidable. Just my take, Bill

gold-n-rod
09-16-2009, 10:56 PM
I make decisions all the time using my gut impressions of the person. If your gut decisions are as accurate as mine, then you should never have any problem come from this one. In many ways, the guy you let into the house should have as many concerns as yourself in the off chance something happens soon after he left. I don't put myself in that position for that very reason, but I suppose an infrequent break in the rules is sometimes unavoidable. Just my take, Bill

Excellent observation, Bill. If this guy is who he says he is (I have ways of checking), then he's covered. An officer on duty of a CG station crew should be pretty conscious of his reputation in a small harbor town. In our phone conversation, we discussed some mutual acquintances. That can easily be verified.

Yes, he was very deliberate in letting me know that he was leaving the the place in very deliberate, responsible manner........

Yet, isn't that how the deranged act???????????????????

Ghost
09-16-2009, 11:02 PM
Excellent observation, Bill. If this guy is who he says he is (I have ways of checking), then he's covered. An officer on duty of a CG station crew should be pretty conscious of his reputation in a small harbor town. In our phone conversation, we discussed some mutual acquintances. That can easily be verified.

Yes, he was very deliberate in letting me know that he was leaving the the place in very deliberate, responsible manner........

Yet, isn't that how the deranged act???????????????????

He'll be driving up there in NASA diapers with mace and a sharpened screwdriver...

The Hedgehog
09-16-2009, 11:16 PM
I usually go off the gut feel like Bill. On the other hand, I would probably delete this too for insurance reasons

That being said, I should probably delete a number of my own threads for all sorts of liability reasons (least of all insurance):bonk::hangum:

Oh yeah, I buy a lot of Jewelry too. Real stuff....yet wear none!

BUIZILLA
09-17-2009, 06:23 AM
if you needed to go through the main house to get to the apartment, then what's the point? I have a USCG Officer in my rental property, and he's been better than gold so far...

Lenny
09-17-2009, 08:30 AM
You should buy YOUR wife jewelry just on principal BTW...

Are CMI's ( polished) and Saphire blue motors considered "Jewelery" ?

Schnook
09-17-2009, 09:04 AM
Screw the jewelry, I'd be buying my wife some hardware. She could pick chrome plated if she wanted some bling.
If it's so far away that it's not convenient to you then bribe a trusted friend who's local with some beer to show it for you.

joseph m. hahnl
09-20-2009, 03:49 PM
the fact of the matter is, no longer should you have ,but, that you did.
Having lived with women for my entire adult life, I can offer these words of wisdom.

1) women never forget and they never let you live it down .
2) If your woman does not feel safe now, you need to remedy this asap,
no matter what it takes. As she will never live it down.
3)don't bother with jewelry, buy her a gun and teach her how to use it.
This one may not work well though, because she might use it on you
because brother, she'll never let you live this one down:wink:

Bamboo Loui
09-20-2009, 04:57 PM
[quote=joseph m. hahnl;538968]the fact of the matter is, no longer should you have ,but, that you did.
Having lived with women for my entire adult life, I can offer these words of wisdom.

1) women never forget and they never let you live it down .

LET IT RING, LET IT RING-- THIS IS SOO TRUE

show-n-go h2o
09-23-2009, 12:36 PM
Buy her a pink Walther p-22, or some other nice little gun to keep around... Thats what i did, now i don't get those im scared to death hurry home phone calls..:shocking: