PDA

View Full Version : Ford F-100 info

cutwater
09-16-2009, 04:33 PM
So, I know I'm about to make enemies of all the Chevy guys on the board :wink:, but I'm looking at 1965/1966 Ford F-100s. I just want one in pretty good condition that runs well. I do a decent amount of hauling items for friends and my rental property, as well as expensive purchases from Lowes, haha. Also, I need something to tow the Minx with! So, I figure since I'm only needing a medium-use truck, I'll get a very stylish F-100. A few questions:

1. Will a 1965 F-100 be perfectly fine with towing the Minx for a reasonable distance (~50 miles roundtrip)? What about a 22? Mainly I'm worried about braking.

2. What should I look for when buying an F-100? (besides body rust).

3. Does anyone have one for sale? :wink: :wink: I'm going to inquire about two I found here in TN:

http://tricities.craigslist.org/cto/1366106655.html

http://tricities.craigslist.org/cto/1364606464.html

I LOVE the white longbed I attached below, but I can't find one locally (this one's in CA). The black one seems to be similar to the one in the Craigslist ad, I think it looks pretty sharp.

MOP
09-16-2009, 05:12 PM
IMO have good trailer brakes, do not depend on the tow vehicles brakes. A buddy of mine years back towed his race car behind one, I know the car weighed in at 3,500. The trailer was a very heavy one made of 4" steel pipe, I bet the trailer was two and a half times the weight of our boat trailers.

realbold
09-16-2009, 05:19 PM
Cool trucks. Back in the day I drove a '65 company truck with a 352 and 3 on the tree. If its solid I dont see why not. I used to tow my Nova with a '77 Merc Marquis. Boat, trailer, gear and gas close to 5,000 lbs. Cars were a bit different then.

olredalert
09-16-2009, 06:10 PM
-----Dont give a hoot about Ford-vs-Chevy, but do care about brakes and the ability to get up that slimy ramp that you will be likely be faced with sooner rather than later. With that said, Im not a big 4-wheel drive guy. I guess I have a four wheel drive,,,its just that all four driven wheels are on the rear. :yes::yes::yes: Yup,,,I am an unrepentent duallie lover. My converted 3qtr ton Duallie Suburban probably wont get you up every ramp, but it hasnt failed me yet. Of course I set the tongue-weight a bit heavy on purpose!!!...........Bill S

Cuda
09-16-2009, 06:33 PM
I'm going to have to disagreee with my esteemed collegue from the north. I pulled a Minx all over Florida with no trailer brakes, sometime with a Sport Trac. My uncle drove a 1965 F 100 for as long as I can remember. He owned a concrete business, and a lumbar yard.

A2VeeDub
09-17-2009, 07:10 AM
Not that it is any comparison to a 1965 F-100, but my father pulls his 22C around with a new Chevy Colorado. The little 5 cylinder pulls it up the ramp with no trouble at all in 2WD. It does have working trailer brakes.

My S-10 is a stick so I have to use 4WD Low or I would need a clutch by now.