PDA

View Full Version : engine removal

thescooter
09-15-2009, 05:03 PM
hi,
i have a 28' bertam baron with twin hm302's & volvo 250 drives.
i am pulling the motors.we have all the wires marked,wires and hoses disconnected, bolts removed from the motor mounts and drives removed.
Here is my question
to pull the motors do i remove the 6 bolts on the transom shield?
do i pickup the motor and move it foward with the forklift?
any help would be great.
any pictures or videos on the site here for reference?
thanks in advance
Nick
the scooter

mrfixxall
09-15-2009, 06:23 PM
hi,
i have a 28' bertam baron with twin hm302's & volvo 250 drives.
i am pulling the motors.we have all the wires marked,wires and hoses disconnected, bolts removed from the motor mounts and drives removed.
Here is my question
to pull the motors do i remove the 6 bolts on the transom shield?
do i pickup the motor and move it foward with the forklift?
any help would be great.
any pictures or videos on the site here for reference?
thanks in advance
Nick
the scooter

What i do is leave the transm bellhousing in tact(in the boat) but since you have the drives off and if your rebuilding the engines remove the bell housing with the engines..If you look outside of the transn where steering fork is their should be 4-6 bolts with alunimum tabs bent over the head of the bolts,bend the tabs so you can get a socket on the head of the bolt and remove all of those bolts and the trim ring and the big rubber oring and the engines are ready to come out. when you go to pull the engines you will have to scoot the engines forward a bit to clear the bay of the bell housing and in some cases if theirs no room you can get at the inspection cover bolts whyle the engines are in the air,,also remove the 6 bell housing bolts and slide them off the engines so you have enough room to get the engines out of the engine bay..

whyle the engines are out,it would be best time to go through the intermediat housing (bell housing)and replace the bearings and seals then pack it with synthetic greece and you will never have to worrie about it locking up,replace the fill screw with a greece zurt and give it a few pumps of greece in the beginning of the season once a year..

MOP
09-15-2009, 06:45 PM
Mike leaving the bell housing in the boat is a real pain why fool around with shaft aligning going back in!
Bend the S/S lock tabs down then take the 6 bolts out lift the front of the a tad and the rings should pop out if not jack them out with the cinch bolts take them out as a unit!

thescooter
09-17-2009, 07:52 PM
thanks for theinfo. i plan on taking pictures and posting for future boats reference. a picture tell 1000 words. not many people understand the 250 270 280 Volvo engine removal.
nick the scooter

lars
06-16-2010, 04:01 AM
Nick, how's my favourite Bertram? Hope Your engine job worked out. Spoil Us with some photos. I treasure these old ones. Wish You a wonderful summer.

cutwater
06-16-2010, 09:24 AM
Wow... not sure how I missed this thread. One of my favorite boats. Maybe the most recognizable strakes ever!