PDA

View Full Version : exhaust question 05 22c

michael belisle
09-14-2009, 07:03 PM
i recently bought this 05 22c 496 ho coming from a 93 22c i like the sound from the exhaust from my none muffled 93 better than the muffled 05 switchable i would like change the mufflers or remove the baffles but are concerned about backpressure any ideas would bo great/thanks

LKSD
09-15-2009, 06:55 AM
i recently bought this 05 22c 496 ho coming from a 93 22c i like the sound from the exhaust from my none muffled 93 better than the muffled 05 switchable i would like change the mufflers or remove the baffles but are concerned about backpressure any ideas would bo great/thanks

It's not a big deal. You can just swap out the factory corsa tips, we have sold & installed many free flowing kits. I do not recomend butchering the existing tips baffles. You should have an antisurge device in the tips. Removing the baffles would eliminate that. It is better to upgrade to new tips with internal baffles. If you would like to price a kit or like to know a bit more call me.. :)
Jamie / Lakeside

Pismo
09-15-2009, 09:08 AM
I agree, switch the tips, you can sell the old ones maybe.

JustMercMe
09-15-2009, 02:37 PM
Copy that....Change the tips.

gcarter
09-15-2009, 02:51 PM
There are always people looking for something quieter.

VetteLT193
09-15-2009, 03:00 PM
I bought a used set of the Corsa tips off of eBay a while back, then re-sold them because they didn't fit my boat. They are easy to sell on eBay. And, on a 22 where you can see the tips you can get something better looking anyway.

Personally I wouldn't worry about flappers on a 22, others seem stressed about it, but it's tough to get a wave that tall... the tips are high up on it.

As for back pressure, don't worry about it. The factory Quick and Quiet allows flow through the tips and outdrive when they are open so there shouldn't be much of any back pressure now.

Bamboo Loui
09-15-2009, 03:25 PM
My 05 is the non switchable on the 496 HO-- I was worried they would be too loud for this quiet lake--- I have had nothing but compliments from young people and people up and into their 80s-- people say they can hear the boat start even if they live off the lake-- they definitely hear her when I am out playing.-- thought for sure there would be compaints

roadtrip se
09-15-2009, 03:37 PM
and decided to put the boat in the water before Jill got home, so I had to launch it, manuever around the docks, park it, and go pull the trailer and truck out.

When I came back to the boat, a houseboater lady was walking her boston terrier by the boat at the same time I was cutting the lines loose. I said hello and decided to apologize for the noise, as I thought it might spook her dog.

This thing is MUCH louder than it was and the Corsa divertors are gone.

She replied, "That's okay, it's a Donzi, they're supposed to be loud."

I just looked at her, smiled, and went on my way. Not everybody is a ninny.

BTW, I use internal metal flappers with straight tips. I would not run without some sort of flappers, because water will get in the tips sooner or later.

michael belisle
09-16-2009, 06:04 PM
thanks all i spoke with jamie at lakeside today and orderd new exhaust tips i hope this thing will be a little louder more donzi like than it is right now thanks again and thanks to jamie for his help/mike

LKSD
09-16-2009, 09:36 PM
No problem.. Thank you for your order.. :)

I think you will like the look & sound ;) Jamie / Lakeside

mrfixxall
09-16-2009, 10:30 PM
thanks all i spoke with jamie at lakeside today and orderd new exhaust tips i hope this thing will be a little louder more donzi like than it is right now thanks again and thanks to jamie for his help/mike

Also keep in mind their may be restrictors between the risers and the manifolds so i may not be as loud as your other engine either..

michael belisle
09-17-2009, 04:30 AM
thanks mr fixxall have you ever seen the restrictors on an 05 and what would be the reason for them being there and how would i find out without dismantling the exhaust system if this boat has them thanks/mike:nilly:

mc donzi
09-17-2009, 07:31 AM
I also have a question on exhaust tips.

I have a 2000-22C,454-385HP Volvo DPX. After running for awhile the tips get 'cloudy' and are fairly hot to the touch. When they cool down they clean up nicely by using a metal polish. The running that we do is split between thru'hull and thru the drive. Haven't noticed anyone else cleaning their tips after each run. Any ideas??:confused:

JustMercMe
09-17-2009, 08:05 AM

I have a 2000-22C,454-385HP Volvo DPX. After running for awhile the tips get 'cloudy' and are fairly hot to the touch. When they cool down they clean up nicely by using a metal polish. The running that we do is split between thru'hull and thru the drive. Haven't noticed anyone else cleaning their tips after each run. Any ideas??:confused:

I do....Just can't stand the dullness and with my thinking and seeing the other boats around here with them tells me they will get past the point of no return if left alone with nothing done.....Just me thinking.

I've been using some stuff called "Intimidator Pro Polish". I have a Merc 2.5 with a polished mid section and this seems to be the fastest working polish I can find. When I clean the boat after each run I polish the tips....The tips take about 5-10 minutes tops.

Hers a link to the polish.

http://www.theintimidatorpropolish.com/

LKSD
09-17-2009, 08:17 AM
thanks mr fixxall have you ever seen the restrictors on an 05 and what would be the reason for them being there and how would i find out without dismantling the exhaust system if this boat has them thanks/mike:nilly:

They are actually called Turbulators. They are there to help eliminate condensation rundown into the exhaust manifolds, they have nothing to do with reversion by design from merc. They wanted to help keep mooisture from getting on the valves when the engine was shut down. This was a way for them to help keep condensation that may form on the inside of the riser from getting down into the exhaust valves when the engines going to sit. The thought was if any condensation ran down the inside of the riser that it would be caught by the turbulator & then flashed off the next time the engine was started. They can be removed and it will allow for a little more flow. Not a lot sound difference tho like swappig out the tips.. They are located inbetween the Rider & the manifold. It is just a metal plate with a dished ring in it. I have removed them on some applications in the past & had been fine, obviously merc recomends them to be in that is why they put them there. ;) Jamie / Lakeside

LKSD
09-17-2009, 08:21 AM

Sounds like you may need to check your water flow for restrictions & possibly replace your impeller. Or you are loosing a little more water thru your y pipe than some others do. I have also seen some tips that require frequent polishing due to exhaust heat & water muck.. I have had a couple boats myself both with stock & aftermarket exhaust tips that seemed to require more exhaust tip cleaning than others, but nothing major. It also seemed on them to be more of an issue if I ran salt or brackish water.. ;) Jamie / Lakeside

gold-n-rod
09-17-2009, 08:25 AM
I keep a spray bottle of vinegar water (50/50% mix) that I use to spritz down the tips after use. Works great!

mrfixxall
09-17-2009, 09:36 AM
like jamie said ,leave it for now and see how you like the sound with the new tips..you can alwats change them later,they are in the gaskets between the riser and the manifold,you just need to order the gaskets with out the turburlatore in them but be prepared to pay 50 each for them..

mc donzi
09-17-2009, 10:01 AM
Sounds like you may need to check your water flow for restrictions & possibly replace your impeller. Or you are loosing a little more water thru your y pipe than some others do. I have also seen some tips that require frequent polishing due to exhaust heat & water muck.. I have had a couple boats myself both with stock & aftermarket exhaust tips that seemed to require more exhaust tip cleaning than others, but nothing major. It also seemed on them to be more of an issue if I ran salt or brackish water.. ;) Jamie / Lakeside

Jamie,

I don't think that it's an impeller issue... I changed the water pump last fall before winterizing. I'll check the 'Y' pipe.

The boat never runs hotter than 150 degrees.

Thanks for the ideas.

Dave

mc donzi
09-17-2009, 10:06 AM
I keep a spray bottle of vinegar water (50/50% mix) that I use to spritz down the tips after use. Works great!

Good idea, thanks!!

After you clean the tips... do you get a strong urge for an order of fries??

(Maybe that's just a Canadian thing):lookaroun:

Dave

michael belisle
09-17-2009, 06:21 PM
thanks jamie i will try the tips i would rather leave it as stock as possible/question when i am running the thru hull on the switchable side it appears as much exhaust goes through the lower exhuast port as well the thru hull section while running i do need to quiet it down at times on the lake i am on but have you ever seen or is it poss to close off the the lower part of the y pipe at time same time the thru hull opens as to make all the exhaust go through the transom thanks mike.

CHACHI
09-17-2009, 07:12 PM
Good idea, thanks!!

After you clean the tips... do you get a strong urge for an order of fries??

(Maybe that's just a Canadian thing):lookaroun:

DaveI thought it was gravy and curd cheese.

What do I know.

Ken

Pismo
09-18-2009, 05:05 AM
thanks jamie i will try the tips i would rather leave it as stock as possible/question when i am running the thru hull on the switchable side it appears as much exhaust goes through the lower exhuast port as well the thru hull section while running i do need to quiet it down at times on the lake i am on but have you ever seen or is it poss to close off the the lower part of the y pipe at time same time the thru hull opens as to make all the exhaust go through the transom thanks mike.

You don't need to, you don't want to. The more area for the exhaust to escape, the better. Most goes through the the hull, some still goes out the prop, it doesn't matter, might increase back pressure to close off the thru prop.

LKSD
09-19-2009, 06:02 PM
You don't need to, you don't want to. The more area for the exhaust to escape, the better. Most goes through the the hull, some still goes out the prop, it doesn't matter, might increase back pressure to close off the thru prop.

Yes, you do not need to seal that tight if you are keeping the plumbing the same.. I would leave it alone.. :) Jamie