PDA

View Full Version : Turning props in or out?

Conquistador_del_mar
09-13-2009, 12:02 PM
I will be reinstalling the TRS drives on the 36' Cigarette that I recently bought. Since they are counter rotating drives and props, it dawned on me that I could install them either turning towards each other or away from each other. The engines and transmissions turn the same direction so it does not matter to them. The previous owner had them turning towards each other. Is there any particular advantages or disadvantages to which direction they turn on a deep V hull like this? This will be used in fresh water if that is a parameter to be considered. It has a heavy duty ss tie rod between the drives and the steering has been easy. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance, Bill

mrfixxall
09-13-2009, 12:44 PM
I will be reinstalling the TRS drives on the 36' Cigarette that I recently bought. Since they are counter rotating drives and props, it dawned on me that I could install them either turning towards each other or away from each other. The engines and transmissions turn the same direction so it does not matter to them. The previous owner had them turning towards each other. Is there any particular advantages or disadvantages to which direction they turn on a deep V hull like this? This will be used in fresh water if that is a parameter to be considered. It has a heavy duty ss tie rod between the drives and the steering has been easy. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance, Bill

Bill, turning the drives inward(twards each other) will give the boat more lift which = more speed but less control,spinning inwards is kinds liks havinf a staggared engine set up,it moves the thrust of the water closer together..Spinning them outwards will give you less speeds but will make the boat handle better,it moves the thrust of the water further apart..just remember theirs a left hand only trs and a right hand trs,you cant just change the props,you have to switch the drives and change the position og the cable on the transmission to acheve this set up.

Conquistador_del_mar
09-13-2009, 01:35 PM
Bill, turning the drives inward(twards each other) will give the boat more which = more speed but less control,spinning inwards is kinds liks havinf a staggared engine set up,it moves the thrust of the water closer together..Spinning them outwards will give you less speeds but will make the boat handle better,it moves the thrust of the water further apart..just remember theirs a left hand only trs and a right hand trs,you cant just change the props,you have to switch the drives and change the position og the cable on the transmission to acheve this set up.

It sounds like I will continue turning them like they were originally set up - towards each other for the speed.
On the TRS drives, the left hand drive has the left hand prop and the right hand drive has the right hand prop. You do not want to change the transmission directions if you reverse the drives with their correct props. It takes a little thinking to realize that the outputs from the engines and transmissions are the same direction for either drive. For instance, in forward gear the outputs from the transmissions turn the same direction whether the left hand drive or right hand drive is installed on either one. Make sense? It took me a little while to catch on to this. If you turn the input shafts (U joints) of the outdrives the same direction, the prop shafts spin in opposite directions, but since the appropriate direction prop is on each drive, they both will propel the drive the same direction. If you are like me, it took a while to catch on to this. Thanks, Bill

BlownCrewCab
09-13-2009, 02:45 PM
Also turning them inboard (tops toward each other) lifts the stern, whereas Turning them Outboard Plants the stern and allows you to carry the bow better.

BUIZILLA
09-13-2009, 02:54 PM
most early TRS setups were always outboard turning being so deep mounted...

mrfixxall
09-13-2009, 04:33 PM
It sounds like I will continue turning them like they were originally set up - towards each other for the speed.
On the TRS drives, the left hand drive has the left hand prop and the right hand drive has the right hand prop. You do not want to change the transmission directions if you reverse the drives with their correct props. It takes a little thinking to realize that the outputs from the engines and transmissions are the same direction for either drive. For instance, in forward gear the outputs from the transmissions turn the same direction whether the left hand drive or right hand drive is installed on either one. Make sense? It took me a little while to catch on to this. If you turn the input shafts (U joints) of the outdrives the same direction, the prop shafts spin in opposite directions, but since the appropriate direction prop is on each drive, they both will propel the drive the same direction. If you are like me, it took a while to catch on to this. Thanks, Bill

was typing and not thinking :bonk:

BigGrizzly
09-14-2009, 08:53 AM
Just remember to change direction you must swap the complete lower units because the are dedicated right and left rotation. But I am sure you al ready know this.

mrfixxall
09-14-2009, 08:59 AM
Just remember to change direction you must swap the complete lower units because the are dedicated right and left rotation. But I am sure you al ready know this.

Duplicate post :)

BigGrizzly
09-14-2009, 09:07 AM
Leave it to you to catch me:yes::yes:. I just heard some one else do this and caused a bad trans and a right hand lower. Unfortunately he is a really nice guy.

Sweet Cheekz
09-14-2009, 12:14 PM
Every Cigarette I had with a straight bottom liked them turned in and in my case handeling did not diminsh Good luck
Parnell

Conquistador_del_mar
09-14-2009, 12:22 PM
Every Cigarette I had with a straight bottom liked them turned in and in my case handeling did not diminsh Good luck
Parnell

Thanks, Parnell. In it is.