PDA

View Full Version : Eyelet is About to go

DonziBuoy
09-10-2009, 09:40 PM
I will apologize in advance for the dumb question, as it probably is obvious what I should do, however, I thought maybe somebody in the process of fixing their eyelet has some thought on what I should do and not do.

I noticed the last time I was cranking my winch that the eyelet was bulging and I do not want to get stuck without an eyelet to get the boat out of the water. Ideas, suggestions, thoughts as always, greatly appreciated.

Jim

mrfixxall
09-10-2009, 10:11 PM
I will apologize in advance for the dumb question, as it probably is obvious what I should do, however, I thought maybe somebody in the process of fixing their eyelet has some thought on what I should do and not do.
I noticed the last time I was cranking my winch that the eyelet was bulging and I do not want to get stuck without an eyelet to get the boat out of the water. Ideas, suggestions, thoughts as always, greatly appreciated.
Jim

when i redid mine it was just loose, i took the eyelit out and reglassed it with several layers then added 2 more inches of support then added more layers of glass.

you may have to take the deck off to get at it..

CHACHI
09-11-2009, 06:01 AM
The bow eye on my Minx pulled.

Crawled up under the deck to find the fiberglass that encapsulated the wooden block had given up.

Crawled out, crawled back in with a taped measure, measured up the block of wood, crawled out made up an aluminum backer plate 1/2" thick and re-installed the bow eye.

Worked like a charm.

Ken

Pismo
09-11-2009, 08:50 AM
Back the trailer in further. You really shouldn't need to pull on the bow eye at all to trailer. Yours clearly needs fixing, after that to make the repaired one last longer do as above.

DonziBuoy
09-11-2009, 10:10 PM
The bow eye on my Minx pulled.

Crawled up under the deck to find the fiberglass that encapsulated the wooden block had given up.

Crawled out, crawled back in with a taped measure, measured up the block of wood, crawled out made up an aluminum backer plate 1/2" thick and re-installed the bow eye.

Worked like a charm.

Ken
Did you just install a backer plate or did you add anything else? 1//2" x ?? That would be a heck of a lot easier than glassing.

MOP
09-12-2009, 08:29 AM
What Chachi said!!!!!!!!!! But don' worry about it pulling through the glass is very heavy where the eye goes through!

CHACHI
09-13-2009, 07:17 PM
Just the block of aluminum.

Ken

DonziBuoy
09-13-2009, 08:36 PM
The advice I get here is awesome! I was starting to sweat with the idea of a glass job in there - Block of aluminum - brilliant! Thanks Ken!

mrfixxall
09-13-2009, 09:01 PM
i did both! i wanted the extra support of the fiberglass,i had the deck off and it was easy to get to so i did it,i had to get a longer eye tho..