PDA

View Full Version : King Cobra shifting issue

blackhawk
09-10-2009, 09:17 PM
Not a Donzi but I know there are some knowledgeable KC guys on here. 92 cone clutch King Cobra that shifts great. But, if he has to throttle the boat and gets close to the shift point it will pop into neutral.

And heres the weird part, it will not shift back into forward right away. The shift lever moves and everything is moving on the shift "block" on the engine. If he shifts it into reverse 3-4 times then it will go.

This weekend we ran for about 15 miles on plane. We stopped for a second and wouldn't go into forward. Reverse 5 or 6 times then pops into gear.

I am wondering if something could be getting warm/hot while on plane and expanding enough to not move properly inside the drive. Then once the drive is submerged it cools down and works again?

We tore the side panel off the drive to look at the linkage and everything looks perfect. The lever that hooks to the "shoe" is moving all the way down. The cable on the block is also collapsing all the way.

I'm stumped. :confused:

mrfixxall
09-10-2009, 10:16 PM
Not a Donzi but I know there are some knowledgeable KC guys on here. 92 cone clutch King Cobra that shifts great. But, if he has to throttle the boat and gets close to the shift point it will pop into neutral.
And heres the weird part, it will not shift back into forward right away. The shift lever moves and everything is moving on the shift "block" on the engine. If he shifts it into reverse 3-4 times then it will go.
This weekend we ran for about 15 miles on plane. We stopped for a second and wouldn't go into forward. Reverse 5 or 6 times then pops into gear.
I am wondering if something could be getting warm/hot while on plane and expanding enough to not move properly inside the drive. Then once the drive is submerged it cools down and works again?
We tore the side panel off the drive to look at the linkage and everything looks perfect. The lever that hooks to the "shoe" is moving all the way down. The cable on the block is also collapsing all the way.
I'm stumped. :confused:

pic 2,see where the black end of the shift cable is,theirs a 1/4 '' nut their that goes through it..i have seen that part of the cable come loose in the slotted arm..look close and see if the paint is rubbed off,good indication its loose..

i just looked at the pic,looks like the paint is bunched up likes its loose..

CaribouLou
09-10-2009, 11:20 PM
Shift cable down to the drive could be stretched, mine was, and I just replaced it, solved the problem.

silverghost
09-11-2009, 12:07 AM
Sure sounds like a cable issue to me!
Don't know King Cobra ~
BUT~
Is there a shift cable adjustment on the control or drive end?
If so set control in neutral an re-adjust cable ends so drive is in neutral also.
Could also be a streached or loose cable.
The control could also be worn and have excess play in it.
Why these outfits do not build better quality throttle/shift controls is an enigma to me?
Teleflex/Morse is one of the worst quality engine control builders.
Cheap Pot metal, plastic, and steel that rusts!
Built so it only lasts so long!
And expensive at that for the low quality you get!
I guess this is how you get repeat customer sales!
I am on my third Teleflex/Morse silgle lever skiboat control.
In the salty air the zink parts crumbled into white oxide dust!

blackhawk
09-11-2009, 07:55 AM
pic 2,see where the black end of the shift cable is,theirs a 1/4 '' nut their that goes through it..i have seen that part of the cable come loose in the slotted arm..look close and see if the paint is rubbed off,good indication its loose..
i just looked at the pic,looks like the paint is bunched up likes its loose..

Checked that and even adjusted it on the water. Thanks.

blackhawk
09-11-2009, 07:59 AM
Our first thought was shift cable also. BUT, after taking the cover off and inspecting the linkage the "lever" that moves the shoe, that moves the cone clutch is moving 100% down and engaging. We shifted it back an forth 100 times while watching the linkage and it worked every time, smooth as butter. It seems if it was the shift cable it would not be engaging that lever 100%. Or am I wrong?