PDA

View Full Version : Which thread sealer for gasoline pipe fittings...?

Jamesbon
09-10-2009, 07:08 PM
Hey guys,

Once again.....fuel lines & fittings.....

I have a few pipe thread fittings between the tank, Racor and Holley blue fuel pump and need to know what thread sealant or tape is compatible with gasoline. I purchased Unasco Gold teflon tape thinking it was compatible with gasoline, but while reading the fine print, it looks like they're talking about LP and natural gas.... WTF!?

Anyone...?

And of course, I'm having to mix stainless fittings with aluminum ones...I know some of you have done this with mixed results. I tried to get Aeroquip aluminum stuff, however, none of the suppliers C.G. approved "blue" fuel line was compatible with their fittings. Only nickel plated steel and brass fittings were compatible with their C.G. approved line....

mrfixxall
09-10-2009, 07:21 PM
Hey guys,
Once again.....fuel lines & fittings.....
I have a few pipe thread fittings between the tank, Racor and Holley blue fuel pump and need to know what thread sealant or tape is compatible with gasoline. I purchased Unasco Gold teflon tape thinking it was compatible with gasoline, but while reading the fine print, it looks like they're talking about LP and natural gas.... WTF!?
Anyone...?
And of course, I'm having to mix stainless fittings with aluminum ones...I know some of you have done this with mixed results. I tried to get Aeroquip aluminum stuff, however, none of the suppliers C.G. approved "blue" fuel line was compatible with their fittings. Only nickel plated steel and brass fittings were compatible with their C.G. approved line....

I have the best luck with permatex 80632,liquid thread sealant..

http://permatex.carshopinc.com/product_info.php/products_id/42283/80632

BlownCrewCab
09-10-2009, 07:24 PM
I Like Loctite's 545 for hyd fittings, never had it leak. I believe you can get a small tube at an auto parts store. If you can't find it then Homer and Lowes sells "Rector Seal" I haven't had it leak either, but I like the Loctite better.

Jamesbon
09-10-2009, 07:24 PM
...I love this place...

Thanks Mr. Fixxall & BlownCrewCab! That sounds good and real world experience is the best. However, I didn't see gasoline on the spec. sheet. for the Permatex stuff. Am I over analyzing this? Or should I just pick up a can and "seal'er up?"

mrfixxall
09-10-2009, 07:26 PM
...I love this place...
Thanks Mr. Fixxall. That sounds good and real world experience is the best. However, I didn't see gasoline on the spec. sheet. Am I over analyzing this? Or should I just pick up a can and "seal'er up?"

i also use this the most 56521

http://www.permatex.com/products/Automotive/thread_compounds/a_thread_sealants/auto_Permatex_High_Performance_Thread_Sealant.htm

i use the other stuff mainly on head bolts and water fittings,this stuff is rated for gasoline..i had to read through my crap lol

mrfixxall
09-10-2009, 07:30 PM
also i usually wipe off the access and blow through the fittings with air when im dond working with them and make sure you let the stuff set up over nite before you run fuel through the lines..

Jamesbon
09-10-2009, 07:38 PM
Now we're cookin with fire! :) Thank you.

gcarter
09-10-2009, 07:48 PM
Don't bother trying to use teflon pipe thread sealant unles you have some time for it to harden......:mad:
When in a pinch for time and assembling pipe threads, I use teflon tape.
No drying time.

Ghost
09-10-2009, 08:36 PM
Gasoila claims to do all you want, including all variations of ethanol gas. I have used it for half a season with good luck.

BigGrizzly
09-11-2009, 02:16 PM
Nate, that tape is fine and is recomended by some motorcycle fuel valve makers.

MOP
09-11-2009, 04:44 PM
Gasoila! Is without doubt the best, I have been using it for over 35 years with -0- problems! If you use Teflon tape it must be the Yellow gasoline approved type, in my eyes having worked this stuff a very long it in not worth experimenting.