PDA

View Full Version : First Donzi, looking for advice

Top-Gun
09-09-2009, 09:01 PM
Hello,

I'm looking to purchase my first Donzi, specifically an 18 Classic.

I'd really appreciate any advice that could help me find the right boat. Are there any particular years to look for? Anything to be careful of or watch out for when looking at used 18's? Any specific problem areas on these hulls?

I'm somewhat new to boats, but have been in the car hobby for a number of years. My prime concern is finding a good solid hull, I've built a number of performance small block chevys in the past so I'm at least knowledgeable in that area. Don't know much about outdrives and marine specific hardware though.

Also, I notice many 18 classics have the grab rail around the cockpit as opposed to the windshield (which I far prefer). Is it easy to retrofit a windshield to a boat originally equipped with a grab rail? Are windshields available?

Thanks very much.

Donzi Vol
09-09-2009, 09:16 PM
Top-Gun,

Welcome to the board and welcome to the wonderful world of Donzi's! An 18 Classic is a good choice. Of course, I am kind of partial since I just purchased one myself and have been helping in a restoration on another one for a while now.

But as for your situation, I would go for something a little older and do what you want with the motor. There are many different motor combos out there, but if you have the skill to build or rebuild your own, you'd probably be pretty happy doing that.

If you're looking for a "turn key" boat to just drop in the water and go, then I would just click on the "donzi's for sale" section and give those a look. There are several really good boats on there, and some of them are owned by members so it would be easy to get ahold of them.

As for what to look for, in my opinion mid 70's is probably a good place for you. The prices are reasonable and they are very good hulls. I just purchased a 1970 model, and love it. However, it is pretty old school. If you like the bare bones stuff, then go with the 60 and 70's, but if not mid 70 models are really good...especially if you want to do engine mods yourself. Now don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with the 1980's and later model boats that are for sale in that section. They're great boats as well. However, they will be in a little different price range and will be a little different as far as equipment.

As far as outdrives go, mercruiser is always a good call, but never discount an old volvo drive. They're darn near bulletproof. The big difference there is the option of power trim (unless you find a Volvo with trim...I think there were like 7 made...just kidding, but they are hard to find). Mercruisers also match to Chevy motors, so if you're chevy-minded then you'll probably want to look for something with a mercruiser outdrive.

You can find a windshield. I believe they've always been an option, but only have they regularly been made and delivered with the boats in the last decade or so. You would be surprised at how you don't miss the windshield if you don't have one. It's deceiving at first. But yes, they can be found/made if you so wish.

Sorry for rambling so much, hope some of this has helped. Good luck with your search!

-David

mrfixxall
09-09-2009, 09:33 PM
also if you want somthing alittle differant look into a x18 model,it has a differant front deck (raised)..they were only built in the 70's but heres mine,a little modern look..

Donzi Vol
09-09-2009, 09:44 PM
also if you want somthing alittle differant look into a x18 model,it has a differant front deck (raised)..they were only built in the 70's but heres mine,a little modern look..

Good call. Hedge's X18 is a freakin blast, I know that much.

mrfixxall
09-09-2009, 09:46 PM
I know where there is a X hull available....

or i wonder if lenco would be willing to build him a new one:)

Top-Gun
09-10-2009, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the welcome and the helpful information.

After taking a look at the X-18, I'd be open to that hull as well as long as I could find one that didn't need a tank or any repairs/glass work. My father and I did a transom replacement on a 16' fiberglass runabout and I learned my lesson, it wasn't a good time.

My other concern is even though I'm comfortable building a mill for it, I know next to nothing about outdrives and boat transmissions. My concern with an older hull is if the drive/trans is toast its going to cost me a fortune to either have it rebuilt by a pro, or purchase a replacement setup. Are these components realistically rebuildable by a DIY'er or am I correct in my concerns?

I'm located near Toronto in Canada, so I'm finding it a little difficult finding anything locally. I'm not looking to spend a fortune, but figure on 18-20 G's for something turn-key thats in good condition. Otherwise a project that needs a motor would be optimal and more budget friendly. I like to tinker with stuff so even if I get a stock boat I'm sure I'll have a cam and some heads ready for it before too long.

Kirbyvv
09-10-2009, 11:38 AM
Check out Fogduckers 18 in the for sale section. it's on the other side of Canada, but has everything you're looking for (windshield) and more.

fogducker III
09-10-2009, 11:40 AM
A tad more money, but a killer deal.... (http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?p=536933#post536933)

I would even be willing to transport halfway or so....?

Thanks for the plug MP, your right, it is a little above his budget but I believe he would be happy, hell of a first boat though....:eek::confused:

Donzi Vol
09-10-2009, 12:08 PM
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=55973

It's a bit of a drive, and would need a windshield, but you would still come out ahead considering the price. AND it's a great deal on a gorgeous boat. It's turn-key and a Mercruiser set-up which means it's a Chevy block so you can tinker with it all you like. I fell in love with it at AOTH, but sadly it wasn't in the cards for me.

Rob M
09-10-2009, 07:27 PM
I'm located near Toronto in Canada, so I'm finding it a little difficult finding anything locally. I'm not looking to spend a fortune, but figure on 18-20 G's for something turn-key thats in good condition.

Looks like there are a few candidates on this link below. Good luck with your search - now is a great time to bargain and buy.
http://toronto.kijiji.ca/f-donzi-cars-vehicles-W0QQCatIdZ27QQKeywordZdonzi

Top-Gun
09-10-2009, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the links, some nice options to consider there. The 18 with the 377 is especially nice, little above my price range though, have to mull that over a bit.

This one caught my interest as well http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-boats-watercraft-powerboats-motorboats-1993-Donzi-18-Classic-Red-And-White-W0QQAdIdZ154354840 . Its Ford powered which isn't my preference, but the 351 with the 5.0 mustang style EFI isn't a bad mill and I'm sure I could learn to love it. I assume this would have a Volvo drive on it? The price is right however the hours on it seem a bit high though?

Thanks.

gcarter
09-10-2009, 08:07 PM
It's just like looking for collector cars, you want the best, most complete boat you can find at the best price if you don't want to rebuild it.
Maybe you should be looking in the '90's unless an older boat has had all the usual stuff done to it all ready.