PDA

View Full Version : Umm, I've stopped wanting a Mustang GT500KR

gold-n-rod
09-08-2009, 05:51 PM
http://www.spokentorque.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=1517

Shelby GT500KR: You own one, but can you afford to repair it?
8/27/2009
So you’ve taken out the second mortgage, told the condescending unsupportive wife to hit the road, and you’ve finally obtained your dream car. But now that you have it, and you’re most likely up to your ears in debt, ask yourself the following question:
If the worst should happen, and I damage my KR, can I afford to repair it?
Recently, I was contacted by the owner of a GT500KR who suffered the ill-fortune of being involved in a minor encounter with an unfortunate animal. Well, the incident wasn’t so minor for the poor four-legged contender, having been fatally wounded in the accident. Having said that, the GT500KR fared pretty well………or so we thought. Aside from a crumpled right front fender, a door that was slightly misaligned from the fender, minor hood damage, and a dislocated mirror, the car seemed to fare pretty well. It truly looked to be about $5,000 in damage in my opinion. Lord, was I wrong.
What should have been a quick and easy fix has turned into a nightmare for this Shelby owner. Not only has this person had to confront this damage every time the garage is entered, this nightmare has gone on for nearly two months. It seems that the insurance company and the manufacturer are unable to come to an agreement on how to price the hardware involved, but that’s just the tip of the iceberg. The damaged parts are expected to be returned. Yes folks, you read that right. You bought the car. You own the car. Every piece on that car is (should be) considered your property. Guess again. If you want this car repaired, not only will you have to jump through hoops, and back flip your way through a pile of paperwork, you’re also going to need to send those damaged parts back – at your expense, of course.
Think about this for a moment. What if some crazy delinquent steals your hood in the dark of night, thinking that might make a nice add-on for his buddy’s ’06 GT? You don’t have a hood to return, so does that mean you’re out of luck? Perhaps you should drive the car without one? Or worse yet, what happens if the part in question is so heavily damaged that there’s nothing left? Are you expected to stick around the scene of the accident, picking up the pieces of your shattered mirror with a dustpan and an evidence bag?
Yes friends, these are just a few of the little-known perks of owning an $80,000.00+ vehicle. Envious onlookers giving you the thumbs-up of approval. Prime parking at your local cruise-ins. The compulsion to park half a mile away from other cars in any parking lot, to ensure that some jerk face doesn’t throw a door into your spotless finish. And perhaps the biggest of them all, owning a car that you can’t seem to get fixed.
To further illustrate the issues at hand, I am going to share the prices that the owner was quoted for new replacement parts. It’s probably best if you take a few antidepressants and sit down while you read this.
Edited 09/09/09 to reflect updated hood and headlight prices:
Grille bezels = $690.00/pair
Headlight = $960.00/each
Wheel = $1753.55/each
Emblem kit = $201.25
Front spoiler = $3392.50
Hood = $21,000.00
Carbon fiber mirror cover = $400.00
Hood pins = $632.50
Hood vents = $661.25
Bumper stripes = $530.00
Hood stripes = $575.00
And this is how what LOOKS like $5,000 in damage turns into $31,000 in damage. Over $18,000.00 for a hood? Hell, you can buy an entire car for less than that! A car that you can fix, one in which the manufacturer and the insurance company don’t give a collective rip what you do with your old parts.
Will the GT500KR get repaired? Will it remain in a wrecked state? Will it be driven without the hood? I can’t answer that. But I can promise you that one way or the other, the exciting conclusion will be posted right here.

BUIZILLA
09-08-2009, 06:07 PM
..... :shocking:

LKSD
09-09-2009, 06:57 AM
Wow.. Sounds like it is time for a few other things too.. Like a new insurance company for that guy and an lawyer for the guy to put some manners & sense into his existing ins co... I thought before hearing that guys story I had heard the worst of them, but this one gets a spot among the worst now too.. ! sheesh.:shocking: J :convertib:

joseph m. hahnl
09-09-2009, 09:32 AM
http://www.spokentorque.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=1517

That's why they make these:wink:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1hZhYfkrAI&feature=related

Carl C
09-09-2009, 11:25 AM
What insurance company?

roadtrip se
09-09-2009, 12:12 PM
has smacked the Camaro and the Challenger in every comparison test I have seen so far, primarily because of the fact that it is lighter and better put together inside. Wait until the GT comes with the Coyote 5.0 400Hp shortly.

As fort this KR story, something doesn't smell right. This thing carries a Ford warranty and therefore parts would be available through the Ford dealer network. And a lot the parts referred to in the story are no different than the normal Mustang stuff. Then as Carl said, the insurance angle comes in. Stinks...

silverghost
09-09-2009, 01:17 PM
Insurance COs are in the business to make $$$Money~Big $$$Money!
How do they do this?
By not paying out on claims !
They rather give you the old runaround & hope you finally give-up and just go away!
or settle for a cheapo body job with a 1/2" thick Bondo patch job!
More money stays in their pockets by dealing with customers that way!

VetteLT193
09-09-2009, 01:24 PM
The GT500KR has carbon fiber parts. Most of the money is in the hood, but it also has the front spoiler and a couple other pieces.

If they didn't want 20,000+ for a hood the repair would be around 10 grand... not all that off base for a car that's that expensive and uses semi-exotic materials.

VetteLT193
09-09-2009, 03:04 PM
The KR specific parts require a core be returned when being replaced in order to keep folks from buying parts to clone the cars, protecting their value.

I read that, not sure how it helps the value though. There is real and there is fake. There will be (and already are) companies knocking off the KR's body for cheap $$ that a bunch of 6 banger Mustangs will be sporting. Having the body parts be so expensive and a total PITA to replace will devalue the cars in my opinion. Who wants to deal with that headache?

If someone makes something desirable then there will be fakes made too. From Rolex to shoes to body kits they will be out there, no matter how complicated.

Anyone remember the Callaway LM? Probably one of the most complicated body kits to make, yet there was a company making knock offs of them over in Europe. Didn't seem to hurt the real LM's value though. GM is selling the real ZR1 hoods for about $5k, no return necessary, and I can't see the Z's not holding their value well because of it.

roadtrip se
09-09-2009, 03:09 PM
The KR specific parts require a core be returned when being replaced in order to keep folks from buying parts to clone the cars, protecting their value.

but those cores can come through any Ford dealer, so again, this thing stinks of half the story...

As for knock-offs, a V6 Mustang with a cheap fiber hood and spinners rolling through Detroit looks like a V6 Mustang with a cheap fiber hood and spinners rolling through Detroit. Nobody is fooled by knock-offs if they have a clue, especially with a package like the KR..

Cuda
09-09-2009, 05:46 PM
What does KR stand for? I've had seven Mustangs, and I never have known what KR stood for. I know it's a big block Shelbu Mustang.

DON N.
09-09-2009, 06:37 PM
King ( of the ) road .

Cuda
09-09-2009, 06:46 PM
Thanks!

I knew a guy when I was a motor head in Hs who had a blue boss 429. About twenty years later, I was doing a job at someone's house. There was a blue Boss 429 in the garage. I was talking to the guy about it..............it was the same car! I had ridden in it. All original still.

DON N.
09-09-2009, 07:13 PM
In 1969 a guy in my area had a dark green one i remember the battery was in the trunk and the engine was impressive.

mphatc
09-09-2009, 08:06 PM
As I recall this is a limited production car, and some of this was stated when they were first introduced, and is also why the Hertz rental Shelbys went back to Ford after they were used . .
As for the prices, yes they are high for an American car, but in comparison to some of the European cars that sell at the same price level as this car, right in line . . BUT this is a LIMITED production $80K car . . with real carbon fiber, low volume production pieces. IMO 2 months is not unusual for this type of car and accident.
Possibly the owner, who did not write the rant, is not a good match to the car . . . ??? Maybe he should own a Governement Motors Camaro instead of an all out no holds barred performance specialty car?
As for how this is being handled . . the insurance company is bound by law to repair the car IF it was insured properly . . . it took me 6 months and $2000 that I certainly did not want to spend, in legal costs to settle a 1988 BMW E30 M3 accident a year ago . . ultimately for $25K, they wanted to pay $3300.00 Same scenario, the insurance company has the right to delay payments if the repair costs and value are being debated.
If you were the insurance company you would do the same!
Mario L.

Cuda
09-09-2009, 08:10 PM
I did a job for the guy who owns Bay Pines Marina in St Pete. He had an all original Pantera in his garage. He drove an older Bronco. You wouldn't know he had money unless you ntoiced the Rolex Presidential while he was swilling beer with us at the carpenter's shop. :)

gold-n-rod
09-09-2009, 08:11 PM
In 1969 a guy in my area had a dark green one i remember the battery was in the trunk and the engine was impressive.

If the battery was impressive and the engine was in the trunk, you'd have.....................

wait for it.....

a bit more.....

A Corvair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Or a VW Beetle or a Porsche!) :nilly::bonk::wink:

Cuda
09-09-2009, 08:25 PM
If the battery was impressive and the engine was in the trunk, you'd have.....................
wait for it.....
a bit more.....
A Corvair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Or a VW Beetle or a Porsche!) :nilly::bonk::wink:
Me and my two cousins drove a Corvair from St Pete to Portland, Ore in 1975, and we had to push start it all the way.

The Pantera had a mid engine 351 HO. He said that gas station attendants were nervous to gas it up. The gas cap was inside the car! :eek:

DON N.
09-09-2009, 09:20 PM
Once at an auction i sat in a pantera ( car ) i didn't see a back window did they come with one ? :

Ed Donnelly
09-10-2009, 12:41 AM
The gas tank is beside the engine on the drivers side.
Yes they have a back window.
There is a hump between the seats to accomodate the front of the engine..Ed

CMC319
09-10-2009, 10:01 PM
Most Panteras had the fill on the left side behind the drivers door. Some people changed it to inside the engine compartment.

Phil S
09-15-2009, 12:39 AM
A car I saw tonight reminded me of this thread.

A colleague / aquaintenance of mine lives on a small lake nearby (Lake Bowen). I needed to do some trailer maintenance, which is easier to do without the boat off the trailer....so I ask if I can park my boat at his dock for a couple days whilst cans rattle, etc. He responds readily (thanks brutha), so I launch at a public dock and tie up at his. I need a lift back to the public dock, we're catching up, he's been workin' in his shop, etc...he asks, watcha wanna ride in...the Chevy or the Ford ?

My choices were a hopped up (year before the Z06 methinks) Vette, or a brand spankin' new Shelby GT500 "Super Snake" version. (a "numbered car" having been sent to Vegas ? ) This is/was new to me, but you all shoulda seen this thing.....I'm taking pictures when I go pick up my boat !! With a promise that I get a ride in the Shelby, we took the Vette.

The Vette had broken a timing chain on a "track day", but upon rebuild, had been "hopped up a bit", according to him, but still didn't quite make the 600 plus the Shelby made apparently. With a very noticable, lopy, sexy idle, the Vette readily sang the song of having been cammed up a bit. He "kicked" the Vette through a couple of gears, and it was not only "pin your head back", but with the tires smokin' as well !! Curvy roads going back to public dock, so just a few punches...but it was awesome !!

My favorite car IN THE WORLD, is the Shelby Cobra 427. I tend to love all machines Mr. Shelby has touched, and I can't wait to ride in a GT500 Mustang, (as I've been promised)...(I'll post a video of me losing my license should he let me take the wheel for a few seconds ! ) Original Fastback 289 Mustang stored in his "work-shed" is his favorite 'old' car. Takin' my camera when I pick up my dumb boat.

I told him about what "Gold-N-Rod" had posted, and am going to forward that to him...but I don't think he cares with his apparent coin.

First time I'd been up to his place, which was very nice. To know him, you wouldn't think he had a nickel in his pocket. His daily driver is a pick-up truck.

Back to sandin' and rattle-cannin' my trailer, which is parked next to a 1963 Massey Ferguson TO "Deluxe" (gps'd at 17 mph in low-range with the PTO engaged....BRING-IT ! ), which is what I drive when I'm not pulling kids on kneeboards. It's currently a very nice rusty red hue now, but will soon wind up being a rusty primer overspray grey, and then get oversprayed again with a blackish/greyish thereafter.

Only difference between the "MH Deluxe" and a "regular" is the padded seat. Buy the "Deluxe" if you're ever in the market for one !

Pics of a fancy GT500 will follow..and with any luck at all, I'll still have my license.

With kind regards,
Phil S.

Cuda
09-15-2009, 06:19 AM
My second car was a 1966 Mustang fastback in Caspian Blue. I paid $140 for it. It was in real nice shape, but it fit the term "basket case" when I bought it. Along with the block, there was a peach basket with the heads in it, another peach basket full of other parts. My dad and I were going to put it back together, but I ended up going to Starkey Road Auto Parts, and bought a complete 289 engine for $75. Six hours later, I was cruising in my Mustang. :)

gold-n-rod
09-15-2009, 06:22 AM
I told him about what "Gold-N-Rod" had posted, and am going to forward that to him...but I don't think he cares with his apparent coin.

Here's an update for him:

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/09/11/shelby-lowering-price-of-20k-gt500kr-hood-after-web-outrage-eru/

olredalert
09-15-2009, 08:00 AM
------So,,,Am I the first to think that there is a business plan somewhere out there that proposes making a simple splash of the aforementioned carbon-fiber hood out of way cheaper fiberglass (read maybe about $595.00)??? Shelby owners get a hood that is almost undetectable from the carbon fiber (maybe 5 pounds heavier). And thousands of Mustang V-6 owners can buy hoods and openly mock every Shelby owner on the road!!!!!!!! Ill buy stock in that company. :shocking::wink: ..........Mr.Bill

The Hedgehog
09-15-2009, 09:29 AM
I saw a KR on the road yesterday. Now I want one. Great looking car.

joseph m. hahnl
09-18-2009, 03:42 PM
:wink::wink::wink::kingme:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TTalJLLy6E