PDA

View Full Version : Which model Garmin fits a 1999 38ZX ?

Apollon
09-07-2009, 11:46 AM
Hey guys,

I would like to install a garmin gps in the dash panel above the cabin door as you enter the cabin. I have seen lots of Donzi 38ZX's with a Garmin installed there but I don't know what model? It just shows it with a cover over it. Any ideas? Thanks.

Apollon
09-07-2009, 08:40 PM
Anyone ?

VetteLT193
09-08-2009, 07:34 AM
That is not a very big area. In my opinion, if you flush mount one to that panel it is going to be too small to see that far away from the driver. I've seen a couple 38's with a custom larger panel made and placed in that area and I have seen a bunch with smaller units placed on the bracket mounted in front of the driver.

What are you looking for, how much do you want to spend, etc? That makes a big difference.... the larger units are going to run thousands.

I'm looking for my 28ZX right now and I'm having the same issues as you are. if I stick it above the cabin door it will be too small to see. I'm leaning heavily on getting a bracket mount with a Sea Sucker base so I can move the thing from side to side if I have a navigator in the passenger seat, plus I won't have to drill holes in the boat.

The Hedgehog
09-08-2009, 07:58 AM
It might be best to have a custom dash panel that has it in the middle. That is what I did in my 26ZX. I have a single but with my new dash panel I was able to install 11 gauges and the Lowrance. I had to relocate some switches.

Apollon
09-09-2009, 06:12 AM
All of those are excellent options which I have considered. If I can find the model Garmin that fits there, I can then figure out my options. I am leaning towards the middle dash still because I don't have room with the twin gauges.

VetteLT193
09-09-2009, 12:20 PM
All of those are excellent options which I have considered. If I can find the model Garmin that fits there, I can then figure out my options. I am leaning towards the middle dash still because I don't have room with the twin gauges.

Measure the panel then go to Garmin's web site. the specs tab on each unit tells you the dimensions.

The boat has been built a while so you need to figure out the newest unit that will fit, not an old one.