PDA

View Full Version : TRS trim question

Conquistador_del_mar
09-06-2009, 06:17 PM
When a TRS drive will trim out, but it will not trim back in on its own even with the trim motor running, does it probably mean there is a problem with the reverse feature of the trim motor? Fluid is not leaking out of the cylinders so I figure they are fine - this leads me to think the problem is in the motor, but I thought I would ask. Is there a sure fire way to tell? Bill

mrfixxall
09-06-2009, 06:42 PM
When a TRS drive will trim out, but it will not trim back in on its own even with the trim motor running, does it probably mean there is a problem with the reverse feature of the trim motor? Fluid is not leaking out of the cylinders so I figure they are fine - this leads me to think the problem is in the motor, but I thought I would ask. Is there a sure fire way to tell? Bill

Trim cylinders!--- Bill have a youngster jump up and down on the drive whyle hitting the button down..or loosen the lines and see if the drive goes down on its own..the seals get swelled and make the trim rams stick..

Does one drive move slower then the other?

Their may also be a problem in the valve block(where the trim cylinders lines go to)

2donzi2
09-06-2009, 07:55 PM
Bill,
I had a similar problem when I reinstalled my drive on the hornet. When I connected the trim lines, I had one side connected right and the other connected backwards, thus when I raised the drive it went up, but could not lower it cause it was continuously filling one cylinder whether going up or down not allowing it to drop. I switched the line on one side and had no problem since.

MOP
09-06-2009, 08:51 PM
Switching lines the issue stays with either cycle, you have a valve body issue. Grab a Merc manual they are not that hard to tear into.

Conquistador_del_mar
09-06-2009, 10:12 PM
Trim cylinders!--- Bill have a youngster jump up and down on the drive whyle hitting the button down..or loosen the lines and see if the drive goes down on its own..the seals get swelled and make the trim rams stick..

Does one drive move slower then the other?

Their may also be a problem in the valve block(where the trim cylinders lines go to)

The drive will go down if put into forward gear or if some additional weight is put on it, but not on its own. Both drives trim out about the same speed. It sounds like the valve block at the bottom of the drive where the 4 lines come out to the cylinders?

Switching lines the issue stays with either cycle, you have a valve body issue. Grab a Merc manual they are not that hard to tear into.

Are you talking about the same thing as Mr Fix when you say valve body? Does the actual pump change directions when trimming in or does the fluid get routed differently when trimming in? Thanks, Bill

MOP
09-07-2009, 07:03 AM
Qoute: Are you talking about the same thing as Mr Fix when you say valve body? Does the actual pump change directions when trimming in or does the fluid get routed differently when trimming in? Thanks, Bill

Lets do a square one! Disconnect the rams cycle the trim, it is normal for them to extent and retract at different rates. Check the rams for binding at their pivot points, next with the rams still disconnected and with help lift and lower the drive to see if it is binding. Another thing that is common but may have no bearing is some will tighten the rams mounting hardware way past where it was meant to be, it has fiber lock nuts for a reason. Trim nuts should never be tightened more then a turn or two past where the parts make full contact, tightening past that is like putting the brakes on. This is a common mistake made by many! On the newer model stuff with the plastic protector caps the threads should not protrude out of the caps. Ok now that I rambled on about that, if all is Ok pull the pump get it apart, good chance all it needs is a little massaging!

Conquistador_del_mar
09-07-2009, 12:06 PM
Qoute: Are you talking about the same thing as Mr Fix when you say valve body? Does the actual pump change directions when trimming in or does the fluid get routed differently when trimming in? Thanks, Bill

Lets do a square one! Disconnect the rams cycle the trim, it is normal for them to extent and retract at different rates. Check the rams for binding at their pivot points, next with the rams still disconnected and with help lift and lower the drive to see if it is binding. Another thing that is common but may have no bearing is some will tighten the rams mounting hardware way past where it was meant to be, it has fiber lock nuts for a reason. Trim nuts should never be tightened more then a turn or two past where the parts make full contact, tightening past that is like putting the brakes on. This is a common mistake made by many! On the newer model stuff with the plastic protector caps the threads should not protrude out of the caps. Ok now that I rambled on about that, if all is Ok pull the pump get it apart, good chance all it needs is a little massaging!

Even with the rams disconnected from the drive, neither ram cylinder will retract when I run the pump in the trim in direction. I have to presume this means there is a problem with the pump? It runs, but it does not retract the rams with no load on them. Is there a valve in the pump motor that might be bad? Certainly, the rams should retract with no weight on them - correct? Bill

MOP
09-07-2009, 12:53 PM
Yup tear into the pump, like I said with book in hand it is a pretty simple unit!

Phil

mrfixxall
09-07-2009, 01:04 PM
Even with the rams disconnected from the drive, neither ram cylinder will retract when I run the pump in the trim in direction. I have to presume this means there is a problem with the pump? It runs, but it does not retract the rams with no load on them. Is there a valve in the pump motor that might be bad? Certainly, the rams should retract with no weight on them - correct? Bill

see if the reverse lock valve is keeping the cylinders from retracting,prestolite pump??? follow the lines from the pump,disconnect the lines before the lock valve,test to see if you have pressure(get out your starter button and hook it up to the trim pump solenoids) check for pressure before and after the reverse lock valve...if you have no pressure then its probably the pump..

heres a link to a guy on oso that has a set of them for 100.00 bucks

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/wanted/213790-out-drive-trim-pump.html

Conquistador_del_mar
09-07-2009, 01:11 PM
Yup tear into the pump, like I said with book in hand it is a pretty simple unit!

Phil

see if the reverse lock valve is keeping the cylinders from retracting,prestolite pump??? follow the lines from the pump,disconnect the lines before the lock valve,test to see if you have pressure(get out your starter button and hook it up to the trim pump solenoids) check for pressure before and after the reverse lock valve...if you have no pressure then its probably the pump..

heres a link to a guy on oso that has a set of them for 100.00 bucks

Thanks, guys. I will try to check it out today. Bill