PDA

View Full Version : GPS Plotter

bigdawgchallenger
09-05-2009, 10:50 PM
Has anyone used the Garmin GPSMAP 530 Chartplotter?

I was thinking about getting one and wanted some input.

Mike

pdaigle
09-06-2009, 08:26 AM
No, but I bought a GPSMAP 430S, it works great, I only bought it this season but it work very good, not sure if you boat in ocean or lakes but I phoned Donzi before my purchase and they said this is the only GPS that has lakes and rivers pre-loaded; the ave. retail is $599 but I bought one brand new from Ebay for $499; installation was time consuming but simple.

Peter

zelatore
09-07-2009, 06:56 PM
I put a 545 on my 22C. Fits pretty well into the corner of the dash, just had to make a small bracket to move it out slightly. About as simple to install as possible - just hook up power and you're good to go.

My first unit died after only a few weeks - wouldn't get a fix. I replaced it and it's been fine for about a year and a half now.

For small stuff like this I like the Garmins. I prefer other brands when dealing with larger equipment, but in this size/price range it's hard to beat Garmin. I find the user interface a little frustrating, but I suspect that's because I spend most of my time working with Raymarine gear.

CHACHI
09-08-2009, 05:56 AM
Don, does the Microedge work for you?

Ken

zelatore
09-08-2009, 04:38 PM
Oh yeah. Lately I haven't felt the least bit of wind over the windshield at all.

come to think of it, that might be because I've got the engine apart....

Actually, I'd say it helps a little. It certainly doesn't eliminate the wind, but it does raise it slightly making it easier to duck down out of the wind blast if you want. I'm sure a set of wind-aways would work far better but they also cost substantially more and you have to worry about damaging/loosing them, have to clamp them on/take them off with the cover, etc. I don't remember exactly how much the stuff cost, but it seems like it was around $40-$50. It's worth that much anyway, and it's easy to take off if I decide I don't like it later.