PDA

View Full Version : Is gas expensive?

gcarter
09-05-2009, 12:35 PM
I read an artical the other day about how in 1922 the price of gas was $0.22. Not bad, you think until you consider that the average wage in the US was probably about $0.75/hr.
Well, if you account for inflation, that price today would be about $2.80/gallon and that wage would be about $10.00/hr.
Todays average income is about $24.00/hr, I think, so things have improved considerably.

f_inscreenname
09-05-2009, 01:11 PM
Until you have to buy it in bulk. Like for 2 boats, 3 cars, lawn mowers etc etc. That and back then I don't think they used to have to commute 40+ miles back and forth to work everyday. I bet I spend a 1/4 of my income at the gas pump during the summer.:boggled:

MOP
09-05-2009, 01:53 PM
Yes gas is cheap compared to, Water, shampoo, soda, and a hundred other daily wasted things!

Conquistador_del_mar
09-05-2009, 09:41 PM
In the early 70s, I remember filling up my Ford LTD with 20 gallons in Dallas for a five dollar bill - it was just last year that a five would only buy a gallon. I agree though that as a % of income, it is not really bad. I will be thinking differently when I eventually take out the 36' Cigarette - Jim, the seller, told me to expect a mile a gallon at cruise! :bonk: Bill

McGary911
09-06-2009, 03:45 PM
We also pay at least 15 billion in direct oil subsidies each year. We may not pay it at the pump, but we pay it..... That's about 50 bux a head. Indirect subsidies are a big grey area, but add to that amount.

Last Real Texan
09-07-2009, 10:40 PM
Getting ready to buy 1500-1700 gallons of diesel for my upcoming trip.... Yes I thinks it's expensive!!!!:bonk::bonk::bonk:

Tex

Cuda
09-08-2009, 06:42 AM
Gas is still the cheapest thing you'll ever buy for a boat.

LKSD
09-09-2009, 07:12 AM
Cheaper than coffee per gallon. Just think how much a gallon in coffee from Dunkin or starbucks costs.. Or Even a bottle of soda at over 1.00 at a gas station for 16oz !! Gas is relatively cheap in comparison.. :boggled: J

McGary911
09-09-2009, 07:22 AM
Cheaper than coffee per gallon. Just think how much a gallon in coffee from Dunkin or starbucks costs.. Or Even a bottle of soda at over 1.00 at a gas station for 16oz !! Gas is relatively cheap in comparison.. :boggled: J

YEah, but you don't get whipped cream and caramel on top of a gallon of super. :bonk: Sorry, I've never had Starbuck's coffee, but have laughed when I see someone walking out at 8am with one of those sundae's in their hands.

LKSD
09-09-2009, 07:28 AM
YEah, but you don't get whipped cream and caramel on top of a gallon of super. :bonk: Sorry, I've never had Starbuck's coffee, but have laughed when I see someone walking out at 8am with one of those sundae's in their hands.

Same here. I tried one of those "sundaes" a couple yrs ago from SB, it was like some one hit me with a shot of crack.. Waaaaay to strong & to much jitters.. They can keep it.. I will stick to just having a plain coffee.. :nilly:

Cuda
09-09-2009, 09:03 AM
The price of muriatic acid has jumped. I use to pay 99 cents a gallon at HD, I paid $5.79 a gallon at the hardware store yesterday. I almost had a stroke. :(

joseph m. hahnl
09-09-2009, 09:20 AM
I read an artical the other day about how in 1922 the price of gas was $0.22. Not bad, you think until you consider that the average wage in the US was probably about $0.75/hr.
Well, if you account for inflation, that price today would be about $2.80/gallon and that wage would be about $10.00/hr.
Todays average income is about $24.00/hr, I think, so things have improved considerably.

I know a few hundred people and not one of them makes $24.00 an hour, so that must be a NADA average.Once again NADA clue:boggled:. I really don't see Retail,and food workers making $24.00 PH.Most of those people make minimum wage. I guess employment security pays pretty good too:shocking:
I,m sure the people who are selling gas @ $2.80 a gallon make over $24.00 Just not the guy who's is actually selling the gas at the pump:kingme:

PS: coffe is usally made In a cofee maker for pennys a gallon. Hot dogs and coffee have the highest return in the retail market. but when you make $24.00 PH I guess you can afford a $0.25 cup of coffee for $2.25:yes:

Cuda
09-09-2009, 11:37 AM
I know a few hundred people and not one of them makes $24.00 an hour, so that must be a NADA average.Once again NADA clue:boggled:. I really don't see Retail,and food workers making $24.00 PH.Most of those people make minimum wage. I guess employment security pays pretty good too:shocking:
I,m sure the people who are selling gas @ $2.80 a gallon make over $24.00 Just not the guy who's is actually selling the gas at the pump:kingme:

PS: coffe is usally made In a cofee maker for pennys a gallon. Hot dogs and coffee have the highest return in the retail market. but when you make $24.00 PH I guess you can afford a $0.25 cup of coffee for $2.25:yes:
I was going to say that I know of very few people who make $24 an hour. Most aren't worth the minimum wage I'm required to pay them.:mad:

gcarter
09-09-2009, 12:19 PM
I did a little scrouging for a few facts and found that a broad range of working folks make an average of $50,000.00/year.
It's not hard to figure out that ends up being $24.00/hour.

A2VeeDub
09-10-2009, 06:46 AM
The price of muriatic acid has jumped. I use to pay 99 cents a gallon at HD, I paid $5.79 a gallon at the hardware store yesterday. I almost had a stroke. :(

I work in the chemical industry. We pay about 30 cents per gallon for hydrochloric (muriatic) acid in bulk that is about twice the strength of what you get at the hardware store. Just shows you how much money they are making off of the stuff. And we are still buying it as a raw material, so they must still be making money off of us too.