PDA

View Full Version : mold and mildew...

dr
09-04-2009, 09:45 AM
This weekend I’m helping a friend clean an old houseboat he just purchased and the vinyl has some hardcore mold and mildew….probably an accumulation of years. I’ve read the old threads about products and ways to clean, but my question is there anything new out there that’s significantly better.

Any information would be appreciated.

David

zelatore
09-04-2009, 09:52 AM
I don't have any secret solution, just the same old stuff that's been around for years. Basically, bleach based products. Vinyl isn't too bad, but if you have canvas you want to be careful with the bleach as it can eat away at it.

Elbow grease. Bring plenty. :yes:

mrfixxall
09-04-2009, 09:55 AM
This weekend I’m helping a friend clean an old houseboat he just purchased and the vinyl has some hardcore mold and mildew….probably an accumulation of years. I’ve read the old threads about products and ways to clean, but my question is there anything new out there that’s significantly better.
Any information would be appreciated.
David

vary little bleach and water,,if theirs colors involver then use vinigar and water but you must put everything in the sun to dry after you get things wet.. or it will mold all over again..wouldnt hurt to go to menards and get some of those moisture bags to prevent the mold from coming back..

CHACHI
09-04-2009, 10:21 AM
I have had god results with Spray 9. Either formula, the "household" or the marine.

Ken

Cuda
09-04-2009, 10:50 AM
Mr Clean Magic Eraser.

MOP
09-04-2009, 11:55 AM
I at one time bought quite a few run down spec houses, many were pretty foul when it came to mold and mildew. You will find that once you get it cleaned up and the product odors fade the thing will slowly start to have the smell of mold come back. What works pretty darn good is to buy sulfur candles, place them in saucers with a little water so when they burn down they go out. Put four to six in the place then close it up tight no ventilation, let it sit for a few days then air it out the air will be a ton fresher. The sulfur helps to kill the mold spores.

mattyboy
09-04-2009, 02:33 PM
be careful using any product with bleach on anything with stitching, depending on what they used to sew it up the bleach will eat all but the strongest vinyl thread

magic erasers once clean and dry use a vinyl protectant like 3m on anything vinyl

Carl C
09-04-2009, 02:57 PM
Very weak bleach solution followed by vinyl protectant. I started using vinyl protectant last year and am now a big fan of it.

dr
09-04-2009, 04:25 PM
thanks for all the feedback...I just made a run fro supplies and there is a new and improved, super duper Magic Eraser on the market...the old ones were great so we'll see...
Thanks again...

Cuda
09-04-2009, 06:24 PM
I used 303 vinyl protectant. I also used 303 fabric on the boat cover. I have used sun tan lotion on vinyl also. The lanolin in the lotion keeps the vinyl from drying out and cracking.

I think Poodle used to have some 303 stuff.

Tony
09-04-2009, 10:52 PM
+1 on the 303 Aerospace Protectant...great product.

http://www.303products.com/

:beer: