PDA

View Full Version : Dana Side Shifter

LuauLounge
09-03-2009, 09:36 PM
Just received my Dana Side Shifter, it will replace the Mercruiser Quicksilver on my 22 Zx.
This is a real piece of art... All billet aluminum. Plan is to install it tomorrow morning.

quick ZX
10-31-2009, 07:26 PM
Let's see some pics...

LuauLounge
11-02-2009, 08:48 PM
I will take some pics this weekend....
There is a night and day difference between this and the std Merc 3000
I didn't like the lockout on the Merc and for docking the Dana rocks. With the dual controls, click forward, click reverse.
I've got a 496HO and with the Merc, if you went a little too far and hit the throttle portion, it was a little scary.
Make sure when you order it that your cables are compatible. After I removed everything, I found out I needed to replace the cables, so I lost a weekend boating.

kraftee
11-06-2009, 11:19 AM
You will love the Dana shifter. Here is a pic of the one in my clone 18...
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=49743&d=1251058804 (http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=49743&d=1251058804)

Ghost
11-06-2009, 11:22 AM
Looks great. Never used one of those. With separate shift and throttle levers, is there a safety lock of some sort that prevents shifting into forward or reverse when above idle-RPM?

Mike

brwn234
11-06-2009, 12:29 PM
Lula, How much were the cables for your ZX. Are you looking at right around $1k for the whole install? I'd really like to upgrade mine. That looks great!

zelatore
11-06-2009, 01:10 PM
Looks great. Never used one of those. With separate shift and throttle levers, is there a safety lock of some sort that prevents shifting into forward or reverse when above idle-RPM?

Mike

Mike, I don't know about the Dana, but typically there's no lock-out on separate controls. It's been the cause of a good deal of pain over the years for a lot of people...

BTW, that Dana looks great. Wouldn't mind having one of those myself...if I had the cash...:(

LuauLounge
11-06-2009, 06:20 PM
Lula, How much were the cables for your ZX. Are you looking at right around $1k for the whole install? I'd really like to upgrade mine. That looks great!

Cables were around $130, including tax and freight. I understand newer boats use compatible cables, mine is a '98 so they weren't.

Fairly easy install, total time was a couple of hours when I had the pieces.

kraftee
11-08-2009, 10:12 PM
Yeah the Dana controller is a pricey piece - but like LL said, it's a work of art. It's actually too bad that the whole mechanism is hidden. I mean, the number of beautifully machined pieces that go into this VERY fine piece of hardware is amazing. Oh, and it works pretty smoothly too. And I have not had any problems with inadvertently grabbing the clutch lever with the boat throttled up. Keep in mind that separate throttle and clutch levers (other than in small boats) were the norm up until very recently.

Obviously, I recommend the Dana HIGHLY if you are restoring or upgrading your boat...

ERIC