PDA

View Full Version : Next Project

Sweet Cheekz
09-03-2009, 08:55 PM
Been looking for a while and decided to pull the trigger last week. It goes in line behind the 21 but I couldn't resist a twin for the bigger wave days on Lake Michigan Any magnum guys who care to share any knowledge of what to look out for and fix during my restro please chime in Thanks
Parnell

BTW supposedly a 1972

Carl C
09-03-2009, 09:06 PM
That's going to be an expensive project!:pizza:

Sweet Cheekz
09-03-2009, 09:08 PM
Exactly why it got in line behind the 21
I estimate cheaper than a new one with a few personal touches
Parnell

f_inscreenname
09-03-2009, 10:08 PM
Very nice! Now that is a project!
It's a pain but make sure you have a camera around all the time and take pictures a everything along the way. You will find that 90% end up in some folder but you will have some very cool shots along the way.

scippy
09-03-2009, 10:15 PM
Parnell,
If I remember correctly, that Mag comes from the most eastern
part of L.I. The former owner toyed with the idea of putting twin OB's
on her. After seeing your boat at AOTH, no question she'll be a GEM!
Congratulations!.................................. .............................Scippy

Conquistador_del_mar
09-03-2009, 11:31 PM
Been looking for a while and decided to pull the trigger last week. It goes in line behind the 21 but I couldn't resist a twin for the bigger wave days on Lake Michigan Any magnum guys who care to share any knowledge of what to look out for and fix during my restro please chime in Thanks
Parnell

BTW supposedly a 1972

Parnell,
You have taken on a 27' Magnum project almost in the same shape as the one I am restoring right now in the thread "Choosing between rocks". I hope your deck is in better shape than mine was. The rest is all common stuff associated with restorations. Good luck and congratulations. They are awesome boats! Bill

Parnell,
If I remember correctly, that Mag comes from the most eastern
part of L.I. The former owner toyed with the idea of putting twin OB's
on her. After seeing your boat at AOTH, no question she'll be a GEM!
Congratulations!.................................. .............................Scippy

Scippy,
Did you end up with a Magnum yet? Bill

scippy
09-04-2009, 02:08 AM
Bill, I did, and that makes 3 of us in the big deep "U no what" at least
it is 4 me anyway. It wasn't the White V-screen I spoke of, but another
bare hull from upstate NY- bought it the same day I saw it- actually saw it being towed by a farmer in White lake across a field to the saw mill for slaughter. 73' Sport..........................Will post when underway.

superhatz
09-04-2009, 02:09 AM
Sweet Parnell....look under the dash "hatch" for a hull number....:)

Morgan's Cloud
09-04-2009, 06:49 AM
I estimate cheaper than a new one

Only because a new one is about a bazillion dollars now :biggrin:

Sweet Cheekz
09-04-2009, 09:04 AM
Thanks guys It was from the far end of LI Owner was very nice and decided not to tackle the project. Long f***ing drive I tell ya from my house but we made a little vacation out of it
Hatz, I did take a quick peek and nothing but everything has been stripped off it now and as soon as the weather turns bad I'm on it to see if there is any markings.

Thanks Bill I have been following your posts for a few months now with great interest except mine will be a twin small block bravo its setup as of now I am thinking of 383 500hp's like the one in my 16 except 2 :yes:

I need twins for the big wave days on Lake Michigan

I took a million pics of the 16, am taking the same progress shots on the 21 and will do so with this thing when I get started later on. It is fun to look back at what a mess they were.

Scippy Congrats I look forward to progress pics as well

MC No Chit! :eek:

Parnell

McGary911
09-06-2009, 07:27 PM
I think those things have some of the nicest lines of any boat. Period.

Do a search for some of Eugene Nehemow's posts. He did one of the nicest Magnum restorations I've ever seen. Here's his classified listing from when he sold itL http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=38762&highlight=magnum

Here are a couple of pics I took back in 2006 at the Point Pleasant Beach race. The race was called due to fog, but I got some great pics, including these of a 27 Magnum that was still racing.

Sweet Cheekz
09-07-2009, 07:19 PM
Volvo DP's.. After running with Forrest today I am sold, convinced, absofreakingluteley convinced that is the single best upgrade you can do to that hull...

HP? Pics? Comments? Give me more than that to go on. :confused:

Sweet Cheekz
09-08-2009, 02:50 PM
Bill, I did, and that makes 3 of us in the big deep "U no what" at least
it is 4 me anyway. It wasn't the White V-screen I spoke of, but another
bare hull from upstate NY- bought it the same day I saw it- actually saw it being towed by a farmer in White lake across a field to the saw mill for slaughter. 73' Sport..........................Will post when underway.

Don't forget to post a few before you get underway.
Parnell

Sweet Cheekz
10-02-2009, 08:35 PM
How about a few pics Scippy?
SC

Alan O Johnson
10-02-2009, 11:53 PM
I recently bought a 1971 Donzi 18 350 with a Volvo Penta outdrive, serial number PZNR 2715887 B, in Florida and brought the Donzi to CA. The Donzi was mainly used on lakes in the mid-west and in Florida the last 7 years. I believe the drive is a AQ 271 A. The Mechanical Lift Device electric motor was missing.
I don't know if I need the just the motor or the whole assembly. Please let me know how to check the assembly, etc. Also, where to purchase needed parts...............
Thanks for any help you can provide.
Regards,
Alan

Conquistador_del_mar
10-03-2009, 12:07 AM
I recently bought a 1971 Donzi 18 350 with a Volvo Penta outdrive, serial number PZNR 2715887 B, in Florida and brought the Donzi to CA. The Donzi was mainly used on lakes in the mid-west and in Florida the last 7 years. I believe the drive is a AQ 271 A. The Mechanical Lift Device electric motor was missing.
I don't know if I need the just the motor or the whole assembly. Please let me know how to check the assembly, etc. Also, where to purchase needed parts...............
Thanks for any help you can provide.
Regards,
Alan

Alan,
You probably need to post this in the performance or wanted sections of the site for a better response. You might post a picture of what portion of the drive tilt mechanism you do have so it would be easier to help you. If I get back out to my business tonight, I will try to take a picture of what I think you need on a spare 270 drive that I bought recently so you can see what they are supposed to look like. Bill

Alan O Johnson
10-03-2009, 01:45 AM
Thanks, Bill

scippy
10-03-2009, 02:50 AM
How about a few pics Scippy?
SC

Parnell, The new owner of my 18c is headed down to my home in Jersey
this weekend to haul her back home to Ontario, then the focus will be on
moving the 27 Mag from upstate to south jersey. I haven't taken any
pics as of yet, but intend to when she comes home this winter.
How many miles did you travel to pickup your Mag from L.I.?
I'm sure, my little old 175 mi. distance is a cake walk compared to what you
traveled, I definately need a good trailer though.......Scippy

Sweet Cheekz
10-03-2009, 11:44 AM
850 Each way! Plus my dear wife went with me and had not seen pics. :eek:

It was not visually impressive but she knows and supports my obsession and has since seen the finished pics of a few sweet ones and now can't wait to get started.

The owner of Integrity trailer was nice enough to loan me a real nice trailer so it hauled fine and other than the city the drive was fine. Looking forward to pics when you get em
Parnell

mphatc
10-04-2009, 06:49 AM
Nice project! And a long road trip!

The cockpit floor is all torn up, are the stringers and hull solid? or will you need to rebuild these?

This will be a rewarding project. Did it come with all the unique deck hardware and trim pieces?

I'll be real interested to hear about what your drive and engine package will be. On my Magnum 27 I have the original Volvo 250s, with twin SBC that I need to rebuild. 383's are on the top of the list . .
Just how did you find this boat?
Mario L.
1968 Magnum 27
1969 Corsican

Sweet Cheekz
10-04-2009, 05:47 PM
MP
The boat is solid but I am going to redo the whole transom since its swiss cheese with all the cuts. I always beef up the stringers, add bulkheads and gussets where needed and I will be taking out the tanks and putting 4 new ones in I will be removing the deck and rebuilding all the bulkheads. It gets an all new dash and I have some rider friendly cockpit ideas for seating.
I have the deck insert which I'm replacing but I will use it as my pattern for something cool. I got the anchor locker, deck hatch, which I'm not going to use and the side vents which I am going to use. I have to build a engine hatch anyway so no problem that it was not there. I'm still deciding on what to do about the rail down the middle of the deck but since its a very long way off I just keep thinking.
I saw it on this website and made an offer.
I am investigating big blocks. I want it to be really fast and really rigged for rough water. I have already bought #5's and extention boxes with full hydraulic steering I am shooting for 700 naturally aspirated engines from Chief Engines if I can make em fit. I'm looking for a wave basher that runs a 100 and looks a lot like a classic 1972 Magnum, a sleeper so to speak with some wood trim, cool horn, unique deck insert ect but with modern hardware and big power (for a 27)
I'm planning on a very subtle paint job also
I am anxious to get started but I have to finish the 21 and get my updates on the 16 done also so there is no starting till spring. Meanwhile I think of ideas as I grind away on the 21.
Parnell

mphatc
10-04-2009, 06:35 PM
WOW . . you are ambitious!
look at the Arrow 28 for speed, since you are already doing so much glass work . . you can add a pad . .:shocking: :)

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/magnum/158374-28-arrow-magnum.html

4 tanks . . . located where and how large ?. .there's a discussion on this on some forum that racers years ago added rear tanks and didn't like them . . that the boat flew straight with the forward tanks . .
It will be fun to follow your project! post lots of pics!
Mario L.
1968 Magnum 27
1969 Corsican

superhatz
10-04-2009, 09:18 PM
MP
The boat is solid but I am going to redo the whole transom since its swiss cheese with all the cuts. I always beef up the stringers, add bulkheads and gussets where needed and I will be taking out the tanks and putting 4 new ones in I will be removing the deck and rebuilding all the bulkheads. It gets an all new dash and I have some rider friendly cockpit ideas for seating.
I have the deck insert which I'm replacing but I will use it as my pattern for something cool. I got the anchor locker, deck hatch, which I'm not going to use and the side vents which I am going to use. I have to build a engine hatch anyway so no problem that it was not there. I'm still deciding on what to do about the rail down the middle of the deck but since its a very long way off I just keep thinking.
I saw it on this website and made an offer.
I am investigating big blocks. I want it to be really fast and really rigged for rough water. I have already bought #5's and extention boxes with full hydraulic steering I am shooting for 700 naturally aspirated engines from Chief Engines if I can make em fit. I'm looking for a wave basher that runs a 100 and looks a lot like a classic 1972 Magnum, a sleeper so to speak with some wood trim, cool horn, unique deck insert ect but with modern hardware and big power (for a 27)
I'm planning on a very subtle paint job also
I am anxious to get started but I have to finish the 21 and get my updates on the 16 done also so there is no starting till spring. Meanwhile I think of ideas as I grind away on the 21.
Parnell

Parnell...Roger Munn has big blocks in his 27 Sport. Glenwood exhaust and the rear seat hinges out of the way....pretty sweet. Runs high 80's if I remember right.

I think HallJ has his number?

-Aaron

Conquistador_del_mar
10-04-2009, 10:57 PM
MP
Parnell

Parnell,
It sounds like you plan to make an awesomely powerful and user friendly unique boat. Too cool :yes:. You might run into some problems squeezing those big blocks and trannies into the engine compartment, but I think you sound like the man for the job. I can't wait to see the progression. At this point, I am leaning towards a single 650HP or so engine in my 27', but I have along way to go before finalizing that decision. Bill

silverghost
10-05-2009, 08:39 AM
What an great project!
Good Luck to you!
Every time I see a boat in this poor a condition I have to wonder who, and why, anyone would let their boat get into this sort of condition in the first place anyway!
I have seen many once great boats abandoned in boatyards for outstanding storage due.
Sadly most are finally just cut-up!
It's great to see that you will be bringing her back to life!
A true labor of love !

Sweet Cheekz
10-05-2009, 09:02 AM
It is a labor of love since its a pile of money and fiberglass dust and a lot of patience This one will take a while but the feeling when its done and I'm out thrashing waves is unbeatable as a lot of you know!

MP The boat had 4 tanks, 2 in the regular spot and two forward in the next compartment and those were removed I intend to replace them so all 4 will be forward. I am aware this adds weight forward but the drives and motors are going to be heavy so with all the adjustments I will have on my drives I am not worried. Plus I will have so much hp for the boat that it will still be fast and the heavier it is the better it rides in rough water and the faster I can go Calm water speed is worthless to me since its never calm here.

Thanks Super I keep hearing his name so he sounds like someone I want to talk to also I think I heard he has a shop on the west side of Florida? I will be there this spring with the donzi so I am going to try and track him down

CDM I do not have a rear bulkhead yet so I have all the room I need to make em fit length wise I also don't have a hatch but I really want a low profile hatch so I'm not completely set on bbc yet I have 500 hp out of my small block in the 16 but I want reliability so I'm not sure how far you can take a small block up before that is an issue. These drives will hold whatever I can throw at them so I want the most I can fit in. I'm more concerned with the width and height right now Lots of time to decide and I have a conference over red bull vodkas with Tommy at Chief in Key West in Novemeber I will probably have a better idea then
A single is a really good way to go but for me I already have two single boats and when I am in Lake Michigan and its rough a single really makes me nervous. I need the piece of mind to have an option to idle in hence twins

Silver I agree Scippy's story is a great example In my case I don't think that was its fate just yet but I am suprised he didn't do a little cleanup to make a better presentation. A few simple things and a weekend of work would have paid him back handsomely. Maybe no time or whatever it was it worked out for me He was a nice guy so alls well.

MP I actually thought of a staggered boat since the best boat I have ever owned was staggered but it will be a lot of time and money for a boat I can't take anyone else out in besides my family. Not completely out of the question yet because it would be really cool.

Parnell

axelkloehn
10-05-2009, 03:44 PM
Parnell- jesus christ, I thought I am kind of mad with lining up my projects- and when one is finished try it with something in even worse condition :eek::eek::eek:

I wish you good luck and lots of ambition, but I hope to see the GT finished first- big waves can wait :wink::wink::wink:

Cheers, Axel :germany:

f_inscreenname
10-05-2009, 05:05 PM
It's got to look better then these :eek: :eek:

HEY! WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN MY YARD?
:kingme:

Sweet Cheekz
10-05-2009, 06:44 PM
Wow Mad Those look rough! No more projects for me for a while after these three. Axel, 21 is next and I am making progress!
Parnell

MR MAGOO
10-05-2009, 06:51 PM
Hey Parn, I knew it would't bee too long before you got back into the bigger boats!

Sure looks like a fun project, looking forward to reading the progress.

-Hope to see ya in KW!:pimp::pimp:

Kurt aka "Biggus"

mike o
10-05-2009, 07:55 PM
Hey Parnell, I'm been using a new 2MM infusion core material in my little boats in my shop for a few years. Pass along your mailing Addy and Ill send you some samples to play with:kingme:. The stuffs makes an incredibly stiff laminate for its thickness and doesn't use hardly any resin.:yes: Its used in the new F22 fighter. I sent a small test panel to conquistador del mar last winter.

Conquistador_del_mar
10-05-2009, 08:03 PM
Hey Parnell, I'm been using a new 2MM infusion core material in my little boats in my shop for a few years. Pass along your mailing Addy and Ill send you some samples to play with:kingme:. The stuffs makes an incredibly stiff laminate for its thickness and doesn't use hardly any resin.:yes: Its used in the new F22 fighter. I sent a small test panel to conquistador del mar last winter.

Mike,
I can't tell you how many people I have shown that little piece to. It weighs virtually nothing and has no thickness, but you can not bend it - awesome material !! Bill

Lenny
10-05-2009, 08:39 PM

Guide me to some Mike :yes: I would love to try it.

I will PM you my addy if you like or show me where to find it. I am a DOW/ASHLAND Chemical Co. wholesale customer if they have what you describe.

:) Thanx

mike o
10-06-2009, 07:44 AM
Guide me to some Mike :yes: I would love to try it.

I will PM you my addy if you like or show me where to find it. I am a DOW/ASHLAND Chemical Co. wholesale customer if they have what you describe.

:) ThanxYa sure, I actually Pm'ed you a yr ago.... to send you some also...... or quite awhile back, when I sent a bunch of stuff to Bill, when I saw you where making the plug for the engine hatch. I guess you never got it. The stuff comes on a big roll like coremat. But only the hexcel channels in this matreial absorbs any resin, which would 50 % less resin than a 2mm coremat would suck up, and it twice as stiff. It swells a tad instead of flatting thinner like coremat does. Is called Lantor Soric if you want to google it. I get it from Comp One.

Sweet Cheekz
10-06-2009, 08:10 AM
Kurt I will see you in Key west

Mike PM'd you Thanks
Parnell

mike o
10-08-2009, 07:25 AM
Lenny, PM me your addy, Ill send you a kevlar test panel