PDA

View Full Version : 28 ZX Trailer Rear tie downs

VetteLT193
09-03-2009, 06:24 PM
I'm trying to be legal for the first time ever and actually use rear tie downs.

The problem is I can't get a direct route for straps from the Eye cleats to anywhere on the trailer. If I go inwards I hit the inner tab ram. If I go out I'm off in space. Every way I tried I can't get it to work. What does everyone else do?

Inward isn't horrible, but it definitely hits the ram in the center of it. I feel like any excess pressure on the strap and I'll crack the tab ram.

Trueser
09-03-2009, 06:35 PM
Pictures please

VetteLT193
09-03-2009, 07:01 PM
I'll see if I can get some when the kids go to bed. It looks like yours basically... It will have to bend around the tab for me to hook it to the trailer.

VetteLT193
09-03-2009, 07:11 PM
Wife let me out for a bit, LOL.

VetteLT193
09-03-2009, 07:14 PM
as you can see in the first pic, it wraps around pretty hard on the outside of the tab.

The second... I'm thinking about actually mounting it to the trailer bunk. there is a full strap width + left hanging past the transom so I could mount it there, but it hits the tab ram. I'd need it out another foot from there to not hit the ram, and I can't go on the inside of the rams either, that's worse.

The Hedgehog
09-03-2009, 07:49 PM
Would putting an eye bolt to the back of the bunk bring it out far enough?

mrfixxall
09-03-2009, 08:04 PM
Move the tiedown eyes twards the inside of the i beams, buy longer straps and cris cross them,,like a big x..

LuauLounge
09-03-2009, 08:55 PM
My 22' is basically the same, they wrap around the trim tabs. The whole purpose of the rear tie downs is not to have the heavy boat separate from the light trailer. There is not a huge amount of stress put on the the straps.

The Hedgehog
09-03-2009, 09:06 PM
Move the tiedown eyes twards the inside of the i beams, buy longer straps and cris cross them,,like a big x..

Good idea. I will see if that works for the 26.

mrfixxall
09-03-2009, 09:12 PM
Good idea. I will see if that works for the 26.

it also keeps the boat in the cradle on the trailer,swaying side to side,the do move ya know :)

VetteLT193
09-03-2009, 10:22 PM
The main reason for doing the tie downs is the sway. I put the boat on the trailer and parked it... a few days later it's shifted to the starboard side by a couple of inches.

The back of the bunks is not far enough back to not hit the trim rams... I'd think another solid 6 inches past that is what it would take.

I would like the straps to be able to take weight to keep the boat centered. Or... is there a better way to keep the boat on the trailer centered? Unfortunately my piece of land is on a hill so the boat will always sit a bit at a side angle.

Trueser
09-03-2009, 10:48 PM
Are you sure the boat shifted while sitting.

Can we see more pictures of the trailer?

Do you just have two bunks?

The Hedgehog
09-03-2009, 11:01 PM
Are you sure the boat shifted while sitting.

Can we see more pictures of the trailer?

Do you just have two bunks?

Yes, two bunks. Most of the aluminum trailers seem to be rigged that way. Mine and Tex's are too. I have steps cut into my bunks.

My hydrahoist has tow bunks as well. I had to add steps.

VetteLT193
09-04-2009, 07:54 AM
Yep... two bunks with steps cut into them. I have two more in the front as well to support the bow. Of course I can't find a good picture because I need one.
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=48418&d=1248455364

I am sure it shifted while sitting because I put the cover on with no problems. I went out there a few days later and the starboard side was pinned to the trailer guide. I also paid extra special attention this last time putting the boat on because I had problems loading the boat the prior time out and previously did not have the trailer guides on. I had talked to the trailer maker and he told me the guides would fix my problem so I just installed them before my last trip.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_CivJQ_k0mVE/SkBJ7nSSzYI/AAAAAAAABw8/wHve_UanQcw/s800/DSC02801.JPG

Trueser
09-04-2009, 07:58 AM
I would add another set like the one up front on the rear step.

$ 30-50 in Materials and the movement should be gone.

Also make sure you are supporting the transom!

VetteLT193
09-04-2009, 08:02 AM
I would add another set like the one up front on the rear step.

$ 30-50 in Materials and the movement should be gone.

Also make sure you are supporting the transom!

That sounds like a good idea. I'll let them hang off the back and try to get a direct line to put a strap there too. Any thoughts on where to get the brackets? the wood and carpet are easy to find.

The current bunks stick out past the transom by about 2 inches

Trueser
09-04-2009, 08:40 AM
WHo made the trailer? I would go to them. Those brackets look great.

VetteLT193
09-04-2009, 08:51 AM
WHo made the trailer? I would go to them. Those brackets look great.

I guess that would be the logical thing to do. :bonk:

The trailer was made by Ace trailers. They made it with specs from Donzi.

Tidbart
09-04-2009, 08:57 AM
Put two new rings inside of the exhaust and run the strap straight up.
See photo.

B

VetteLT193
09-04-2009, 03:13 PM
Put two new rings inside of the exhaust and run the strap straight up.
See photo.

B

I'm not really wanting to drill holes in the new boat if I don't have to until after I burn the warranty. Plus the engine room seems big until you try to actually do anything in it. At that point you realize it's probably easier to remove an engine than to climb into it. I've already been stuck once to the point where I wasn't sure if I was getting out. :nilly: