goatee
09-03-2009, 12:33 AM
Federal bureau of investigation
J. Edger Hoover building 935
Pennsylvania avenue, NW Washington D.C
20535-0001

Attention,

We the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Washington, DC have been
informed through our Global intelligence monitoring network, that the sum of $2,300,000.00
has long been approved on your behalf by the world bank poverty eradication program in conjunction
with the Nigeria federal ministry of finance treasury reserve.

We took out time to screen through this project as stipulated on our protocols of operation and we
confirmed that your payment of $2,300,000.00 is 100% genuine and legitimate from all facet and
of which you have the lawful right to claim.

The procedures to receive your funds as agreed by the payment committee is setting up a new Wema
bank account for yourself where your funds will first be transferred into after which you can transfer
your funds to any account of your choice in the world.

This Is An Official Advice From The FBI, Foreign Remittance/Telegraphic
Dept. (FRTD),

WARNING: THE ONLY FEE REQUIRED TO OPEN THE ACCOUNT WITH WEMA BANK PLC
IS $350.00 Minimum initial deposit

You are to contact the genuine office for an account openning details with
the details below:

Prof. Ton Ezeh
Email: paymaster.tony2@gmail.com

We will be monitoring all your dealings with them as you proceed so you
have nothing to worry about.

Yours faithfully,
FBI Director
Robert S. Mueller III

goatee
09-03-2009, 12:34 AM
i like the last line, "you have nothing to worry about"

Ghost
09-03-2009, 01:14 AM
Hilarious.

(I wonder if they'd be more interested in this than the usual, since it includes impersonation of a high-level government official?)

olredalert
09-03-2009, 08:28 AM
------So Goat,,,You will be picking up your new DONZI, what,,,,right after the holiday. Certainly the check cant be processed over the holiday weekend.

------You know,,, its really hard to imagine that anyone with enough intelligence to operate a computer or even just to type would ever consider anything like this as being legitimate. How many tunas do you think they reel in with this krap???........Mr.Bill :bonk::bonk::bonk:

Last Tango
09-03-2009, 10:28 AM
Sadly, many folks are not sophisticated when it comes to understanding what is going on here. We gave our parents a computer and insisted they use it to communicate with us, rather than a phone or face-to-face. Our parents were unprepared for the cyberworld out there. Our parents did not grow up with video games and internet access.
Every day I speak with seniors about their healthcare and retirements and I am rarely impressed with their knowlege in these areas. You would think they would all become experts in that subject since it directly affects them.
Most employees who work for corporations have not the faintest clue about their benefits when they retire, or how to access them internally or externally.
Is it any wonder that they can also be trapped by even the most obvious scam on the Internet?
Greed knows no bounds. Both directions.
Seniors, the young, and the desperate, are usually the targets for these scams. They cannot see the obviousness of this lie. Thus they fall prey.

And generally, these scams are perpetrated by folks in other countries where the laws that govern the internet, business transactions, and social propriety are loosely watched, if at all.

I would assume that all of us here on this board would see through this e-mail immediately. But there are lots of folks out there in this country who cannot make good decisions.

The elderly are not the only victims. All too often, when I was in the Navy, I would see fully trained and skilled technicians fall prey to the scams of the world around them. And history continues to repeat itself.

You would think most people these days would be able to make a good car deal. All the information out there on the topic would lead you to believe that. But, no. The dealers play their same old games, and the customers lose their money time after time.

justleft
09-03-2009, 04:28 PM
Hey, I just opened my WEMA account, only $350. SS#, date of birth, etc...

Just got notified that there is a $151,171 wire transfer waiting !!!!

All it takes is the $7,131 transfer fee. New Donzi here I come !!!

Just kidding :shocking:

dr
09-04-2009, 09:34 AM
It is disconcerting how sophisticated SOME of these things have become. I used to be amazed at how people could fall for some of the crude ‘Nigerian emails’, but recently I’ve been getting some pretty convincing ones for financial institutions I have accounts with, IE Bank of America(or maybe I'm just getting old) …wanting to verify my account /security information. What made those more believable was that they coincided with the timing of the Countrywide/BoA consolidation and some legitimate transactions.

Ghost
09-04-2009, 09:48 AM
A friend of mine got hit by a somewhat different type of scam on Craigslist, the first of these that I have heard about though they may have been around for quite a while.

Essentially, my friend wasn't the one scammed, someone else was, but without him stepping in it would have cost him a lot.

My friend simply bought something on Craigslist. Turns out the person he sent the money to had already been scammed. The "seller" had already answered an ad asking for help where someone didn't have a paypal account. That ad offered to pay something like $100 to someone who would receive some money in his personal Paypal account, and then forward all but the $100 to the scammer. Seems safe because the money comes to him first, and then he simply pays money out from what he receives.

Meanwhile, the scammer puts up an ad on Craigslist using the borrowed Paypal account. My friiend buys a $2500 piece of equipment and sends the money via Paypal. The scammed Paypal accountholder gets that money, and sends all but the $100 agreed upon to the scammer. The gear never shows. My friend traces back through Paypal and gets to the scammed accountholder, who knows nothing about the gear being sold on Craigslist, but immediately says yes, I had an exchange with someone about my Paypal account where I made $100.

I *think* my friend is supposed to be 100% protected by Paypal, but right now he's out of the money. And even if he is made whole, the Paypal accountholder who got scammed will end up being out $2400. Honestly, I don't yet know how it came out.

But this one struck me as being a little harder to identify than the usual stuff.

zelatore
09-04-2009, 09:57 AM
That was a pretty complicated one. Sometimes you think if these guys would just invest half the energy they put into coming up with scams into doing something honest they'd make a decent living.

But the basic tip-off should have been 'why would you give a stranger your paypal info when it's so easy for anybody to establish their own account?'

There's usually some sort of clue things aren't on the up and up, although some of the scammers are such good salesmen they can take you by the hand and walk you right over the shark tank without you ever noticing.

Ghost
09-04-2009, 11:31 AM
That was a pretty complicated one. Sometimes you think if these guys would just invest half the energy they put into coming up with scams into doing something honest they'd make a decent living.

But the basic tip-off should have been 'why would you give a stranger your paypal info when it's so easy for anybody to establish their own account?'

There's usually some sort of clue things aren't on the up and up, although some of the scammers are such good salesmen they can take you by the hand and walk you right over the shark tank without you ever noticing.

Agreed on all fronts.

Turns out Paypal DID pay my friend out of their own pocket when the scammed woman didn't respond within 10 days.

She will eat the missing $2400, probably from the credit card she had to register with Paypal, a requirement for selling anything and using a Paypal account. I think the Paypal folks lived up to their promise pretty well.

justleft
09-04-2009, 07:47 PM
Some one did a $1 PayPal transaction to Online Sports Merchandise using my Amex card. It worked.

Exactly 1 week later, to the hour, a charge of $1531 was placed for college basketball jerseys.

Amex called me, I said not me. No charge.

Problem. They aren't going to chase a thousand dollar fraud.