PDA

View Full Version : With equal power, which is faster?

Dredgeking
09-02-2009, 05:07 AM
With equal power, which is faster, a Shelby or a Blackhawk? If I did upgrade the engine, which drive can handle more, the bravo or the blackhawk?

I think the Shelby wins in the appearance catagory.

RedDog
09-02-2009, 06:47 AM
Blackhawk wins on speed. Bravo wins on strength

VetteLT193
09-02-2009, 07:10 AM
With equal power, which is faster, a Shelby or a Blackhawk? If I did upgrade the engine, which drive can handle more, the bravo or the blackhawk?
I think the Shelby wins in the appearance catagory.

Are we talking whole boats, or are you updating another 22 to create a BH or Shelby? That makes a big difference because the BH hulls are different than a regular 22

They make an XR gearset for the Blackhawk. The XR bravo will still be stronger in the end.

Dredgeking
09-02-2009, 07:44 AM
I'm looking at factory boats.

That's good to know about the Blackhawk drive. For some reason I thought they had stronger gears.

I thought I read the x dimension was higher on the Shelby than a standard 22, which should make it faster, but I wasn't sure how the Shelby would compete against a 22 Blackhawk for speed.

MOP
09-02-2009, 08:02 AM
What kills the BH is air time, on reentry you are hooking up two props. The BH setup right will be faster then a Bravo even with a shortie, want to go faster you will have to be a lot more careful. Props for the BH are very expensive and a little scarce. On light boats like the 16 & 18 they would be pretty hard to break. I would love to see a 16 setup with a BH and a stock 300, it would easily cook into the 80's run like it was on rails leaving behind all of its bad manners and be su. per dependable. On a 16 or 18 you can run reworked BIII wheels for a big savings, I ran them on my 22. Those that rode in my 22 will attest to that, I still miss the precise handling of the BH. We also had a member with a BH that ran a set of BIII's as spares and lost very little speed. To me it is a great drive in the right hands or on a light boat.

JustMercMe
09-02-2009, 08:02 AM
I thought I read the x dimension was higher on the Shelby than a standard 22, which should make it faster, but I wasn't sure how the Shelby would compete against a 22 Blackhawk for speed.

The Shelby does indeed have the higher "X" but the the Blackhawk drive is shorter making it a surfacing drive.

VetteLT193
09-02-2009, 08:25 AM
I'm looking at factory boats.
That's good to know about the Blackhawk drive. For some reason I thought they had stronger gears.

Well... factory to factory the shelby sports a lighter engine. I'd say a stock Shelby Vs. stock BH would be pretty much the same... probably down to individual boats and drivers

Same power though, say 502/500 HP, I'd take the BH if I were a betting man.

mattyboy
09-02-2009, 09:12 AM
Same power though, say 502/500 HP, I'd take the BH if I were a betting man.

:yes: :wink:

blackhawk
09-02-2009, 12:31 PM
What kills the BH is air time, on reentry you are hooking up two props. The BH setup right will be faster then a Bravo even with a shortie, want to go faster you will have to be a lot more careful.

Well said the Blackhawk is just as strong as a Bravo but it's much easier to get the BH out of the water since it's at the surface. And those two props bite hard on re-entry.

Lenny
09-02-2009, 12:41 PM
The stock (non-rocker) 22C hull seems to really like the stock "X" placement of the BH drive IMO. Byrons' boat is truly amazing and that BH is sitting at 14 1/2" I believe.

Lenny
09-02-2009, 01:38 PM
Bryant's is a rocker hull unless I was asleep in class that day... :boggled:

That is news to me :confused: Byron, not Bryant ... ???

ITTLFLI , BH drive and a 540, teal boat, Kentucky, Cinci