PDA

View Full Version : Real men can sew

f_inscreenname
09-01-2009, 10:38 PM
That home-ec class came in real handy over the years.http://www.supernova19.com/forumcw/Smileys/classic/paranoid.gif

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/5030/60535712.jpg

Ghost
09-01-2009, 10:44 PM
Whoa, you're doing that stuff already?! (Can you see a hint of Rocky Horror teeth in the way that picture looks?)

Morgan's Cloud
09-02-2009, 07:00 AM
:tooth: :tooth:

It's amazing what 'skills' we pick up along the way when we restore our own boats .

When I was doing the glass work on mine , my neighbor who happened to be a world class quilter was actually watching me very carefully .

When I was finished she said that I had a very good hand for cutting and handling fabric... And I thought I sucked ! ! :kingme:

f_inscreenname
09-02-2009, 07:15 AM
:tooth: :tooth:
When I was finished she said that I had a very good hand for cutting and handling fabric... And I thought I sucked ! ! :kingme:

I still think I suck. :shades:

Not really a planned thing. I didn’t even know I was doing it until I found my self going to the vinyl supply company to compare pricing and look at some colors. It then hit me that I couldn’t put the rear motor cover on without it already in the boat. So now it had to be done. Also getting it out of the garage was a must. I am starting to feel like the walls are closing in.

McGary911
09-02-2009, 11:19 AM
Funny timing on this post. I just hung a flatscreen TV on my deck, and while it'll be out of the weather, I want to make a cover to keep the dust and pollen off of it.

We'll....you should have seen the looks I got walking around the office asking to borrow a sewing machine..."oh, my WIFE may have one". :bonk:

Finally got one and will give it a shot this weekend. I don't think I'll start making my own clothes anytime soon. Only manly stuff, like a bag for my race helmet (turned out great a few years back)....flatscreen cover....etc. 8th grade home-ec, don't fail me now.

Oh, and bolsters for your raceboat are manly sewing too. Good luck.

Morgan's Cloud
09-02-2009, 11:54 AM
Did you guys really take home-ec ? ?

Out here the gals did home-ec and the guys did woodwork.
Of course that was in the old , old days ....

Now no-one does either and they're needed more than ever .
(But boy , can they ever work a cell-phone ...... :mad:)

Rootsy
09-02-2009, 11:59 AM
I took home-ec in 8th grade... I also own 2 singers...

gcarter
09-02-2009, 12:09 PM
I betcha Yeller can sew!
He used to do upholstery.

McGary911
09-02-2009, 12:10 PM
Did you guys really take home-ec ? ?

Out here the gals did home-ec and the guys did woodwork.
Of course that was in the old , old days ....

Sure did. I took it in 83-85 I think. 7-9th grades. Took shop too. The girls took both as well. I think it's great that we took both. I'm single and can't eat microwave food ALL the time, right?

I will admit I made a quick phone call to mom for some TV cover advice. :wink:

Ghost
09-02-2009, 12:10 PM
#1 I wish I had taken typing.

But I wish I could sew as well.

gold-n-rod
09-02-2009, 12:39 PM
I took home-ec in 8th grade... I also own 2 singers...
Oh really?
http://www.bordersmedia.com/motown/galleries/ss_images/GladysKnight67.jpg

Rootsy
09-02-2009, 12:48 PM
har har

cutwater
09-02-2009, 12:57 PM
Looks great f_n!! Can't wait to see this boat done.

I graduated in 2000... my high school didn't offer woodshop :mad:. Fortunately I have a great dad...

#1 I wish I had taken typing.

But I wish I could sew as well.

Typing has been surprisingly useful... Unless computers are just a fad :bonk:

f_inscreenname
09-02-2009, 09:23 PM
Not perfect but not bad either.
http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/9990/80416837.jpg

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/1377/92092007.jpg

Morgan's Cloud
09-03-2009, 06:40 AM
OK , I guess you's all even much more talented than I thought ! !

Very interesting ....... :cool!:

f_inscreenname
09-03-2009, 07:26 AM
I liken it to a bowling shoe or that old time 60’s kitchen chair appeal. That and it’s the only color on the boat so I had to go wild. In the big picture I have, Brownie is sitting on a white with red trim seat. I just reversed the two. I’m not even sure the bolster belongs in the boat. You would think it would be simple to figure out but there were so many changes over those couple racing years who knows. Hell, I think I may have even found another exit out the side for exhaust glassed over. What could have that been for?
I shortened the bolster by 6 inches from the pictures posted before. Before it would come up under my arms, now it should be more of a waist/hip hugger and not so noticeable.
As for Brownie, if he comes I will remove it. Couple crews is all it should take.

zelatore
09-03-2009, 10:33 AM
All this talk about home-ec vs. shop. I remember that. Would have been in the about '85 and my class was the last where the boys all took wood shop and the girls all took home-ec. The next year they made them all take both.

My brother was a year younger than me. We might have given him some grief about that. :kingme:

Actually, I don't know who was more upset, the students (boys learning to cook, girls having to use a drill! Oh My!) or the teachers who had to 'dumb down' their respective classes to deal with kids who knew nothing about the topics and didn't think they should! In retrospect of course, it was a good idea.

I had no idea schools had dropped one or both subjects. But I'm not surprised.

McGary911
09-04-2009, 03:38 PM
Finished my project. Here's a pic before and after (with my TV cover). About 10 bux in materials. It won't win any awards, but does the trick.

The bolsters are cooler :wink: