PDA

View Full Version : 1972 Donzi Performer worth selling?

davidshultis
09-01-2009, 09:13 PM
Hello Everyone! I own a 1972 Donzi Performer that I have almost completely restored. I had the entire boat painted with Imron paint last year. It looks beautiful! I also replaced all of the hardware, seats, upholstery, rubrail,gauge panel,cabin headliner, full canvas...you get the picture. It basically looks brand new. The only thing I didn't replace this year was the engine but I did a lot of overhaul work to it and it runs great. The engine has about 700 Hours on it. It is a 1996 5.7L V8 Mecruiser Alpha One Gen II. I am interested in selling this boat, but I'm not sure if it is worth it. I put about $15K worth of work into it over the past few years. Does anyone think this boat would actually sell in today's market? If so, how much do you think I could get for it? I also have a trailer for it that I've put some work into. I replaced all of the hubs and some of the rollers. It's in very good shape as well. I live in CT.

What does everyone think?

BERTRAM BOY
09-01-2009, 09:24 PM
I think I may regret this, but I have to ask...What is a Donzi "performer"?

Where in CT are you? We might be neighbors.

Morgan's Cloud
09-02-2009, 06:49 AM
I think I may regret this, but I have to ask...What is a Donzi "performer"?
Where in CT are you? We might be neighbors.

My first guess was that it's a 29 built using the original 29 Donzi molds that were bought by Performer .... They also got the original Seabird 24 C/C molds. There is at least one of each model out here that I have seen.

BUT ... the bit about about it having a 5.7 Merc Alpha precludes it being one of the 29 hulls ...

Don't we just love a good mystery here ! !

Dredgeking
09-02-2009, 07:45 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't know what a Performer was.

olredalert
09-02-2009, 08:42 AM
-----While a 29 Performer was a good thought I cant imagine that Performer ever built one with a single, much less a single 5.7. At this point we are all in the same boat (no pun intended) until Mr.Shultis chooses to post again........Mr.Bill

BlownCrewCab
09-02-2009, 10:11 AM
Thats a big boat to have a single anything. My Boss (still today) and his brother bought the Molds from Don. The first ones where exactly like the Donzi's, then after the first few they started to make them Unique. When He gets back (from canada) I'll ask him about the single engine..

olredalert
09-02-2009, 11:15 AM
------Yup! Thats why I dont think we are on the same page as Mr.Shultis yet......Mr.Bill

davidshultis
09-02-2009, 11:47 AM
It is actually 24 feet long. Not 29. I will post some pictures soon. I don't have absolute proof that it was made by Donzi but I do know it is a Performer and the previous owner told me it was made by Donzi. Have you guys ever seen an old 24 foot cuddy Formula? it looks exactly like that.

BlownCrewCab
09-02-2009, 12:28 PM
At Performer we made 24's with the same bottom as the Donzi Doral (a Harry Shoell Design) We Made mostly Cuddy's and at the end (1992-93) we made a Center Console. We also took the 28' Donzi sportsman and Made a 32' twin Diesel Sport fishing boat. You'd know it if you saw it just from the crowned deck.

Lenny
09-02-2009, 12:43 PM
Dave, pics, pics :) :) :)

davidshultis
09-02-2009, 08:12 PM
BlownCrewCab - what is a crowned deck? So Perform was a company separate from Donzi? It sounds like you are familiar with my boat. Do you know how much it might be worth?

Lenny
09-03-2009, 01:21 AM
I will post some pictures soon.

When is "soon" :rolleyes:

olredalert
09-03-2009, 08:19 AM
------David,,,If you are familiar with the 28ft DONZI Sportsman you will understand the crowned deck comment. Im sure you can find a picture of one here on the sight somewhere. Madpoodle can probably tell you where. There is one back east getting a very nice comprehensive resto right now and another that popped up in the "for sale" area a couple of times from Massachusetts thats very nice........Mr.Bill

BlownCrewCab
09-03-2009, 11:35 AM
I only worked for Performer from 1990 to 1993. My Boss and his brother Owned performer back in the 70's-80's, in 1985 they sold it to a Buisness man from Virginia, my boss went to Virginia to work for the company he just sold, then in 1990 I started working there. If you can get Photos of your boat I'll ask him about it.

davidshultis
09-20-2009, 11:01 AM
Hello everyone. Thanks for the information. Here are some pictures of the boat I'm talking about.

WifeHatesMyDonzi
09-20-2009, 11:29 AM
wow...nice...different

BlownCrewCab
09-20-2009, 05:51 PM
I'll show my Boss the pics in the Morning.....

MOP
09-20-2009, 06:15 PM
Well to me it looks like a very nicely redone 23 Formula, have you taken a tape measure to it. It except for looking fabulous looks like the 23 I owned.

Greg Guimond
09-21-2009, 05:29 AM
"davidshultis",

That looks great, who did you use for the restoration?

BlownCrewCab
09-21-2009, 08:07 AM
My Boss Looked at the Pics, He said that Model was similar to the Formula, around 1978 the feds came in and siezed a bunch of assets and that particular set of molds was taken. Then the Next set of Performer 24 molds came from Sea Bird. They had an add on Pulpit, which eventually became a molded in pulpit.

BUIZILLA
09-21-2009, 08:27 AM
wow.... very very cool

inner liner looks like what our 71-72ish 233 had, right down to the double teak strips, and rear jump seats, side air boxes, and step down into the cabin being behind the door.. I don't remember if our 233 had that endcut windshield frame thing though.. for some reason this Performer hull looks later than 72ish...

whoever did that top, SS frame and Isenglas is a master... best i've ever seen done like that...

bottom paint?

what price were you thinking? PM me if you choose..

davidshultis
09-21-2009, 08:32 PM
BlownCrewCab:
So are you saying this is a formula if it was made in 72'?

Greg Guimond:
I had a guy who lives here in groton CT who does autobody work and some boat work on the side, paint it. He used Imron paint. I did all of the prep work myself. After he finished the paint job I replaced all of the hardware, vinyl and seats myself. I also replaced the rubrail; the glass in the side panels of the windshield and all of the gaskets in the windshield; and the headliner in the cabin. I also did a lot to the engine, exhaust manifolds, risors, aletrnator, coil, distributor cap, roter, spark plug wires, sea water pump, all of the sea water hoses....there's probably more that I forgot...or blocked out of my memory. It was a lot of work!

BUIZILLA:
Cramer's Custom Canvas in Pawcatuck, CT did the canvas. I have to say they did an incredible job. I was blown away. Yes there is bottom paint on it. I'm not sure what price to ask. What's your offer?

BUIZILLA
09-21-2009, 08:46 PM
I have no interest in a purchase, but you asked for an approx value, and bottom paint may play a small part in that, historically bottom paint subtracts 20%... a boat of that vintage, IMO, will be captured by a nostalgic buyer, today that's a rare animal... with that said i'd guess 11.5-13.5k, maybe 17k on a real nice trailer... but it's a goofy market and I could be off 3k either way... 72 is a pre stamped HIN breed so long term ownership as to correct brand is important.... as an example, a very good friend sold a meticulous restored center console 70's Seabird with a new 454 and Bravo 1 and T-top for 17 or 18 on a perfect alum trailer on Ebay.... it's just a goofy time... you have a LOT to be proud of though, it's beautiful

davidshultis
09-22-2009, 04:36 AM
Thanks Buizilla. I appreciate that.

BlownCrewCab
09-22-2009, 06:02 AM
BlownCrewCab:
So are you saying this is a formula if it was made in 72'?

Greg Guimond:
I had a guy who lives here in groton CT who does autobody work and some boat work on the side, paint it. He used Imron paint. I did all of the prep work myself. After he finished the paint job I replaced all of the hardware, vinyl and seats myself. I also replaced the rubrail; the glass in the side panels of the windshield and all of the gaskets in the windshield; and the headliner in the cabin. I also did a lot to the engine, exhaust manifolds, risors, aletrnator, coil, distributor cap, roter, spark plug wires, sea water pump, all of the sea water hoses....there's probably more that I forgot...or blocked out of my memory. It was a lot of work!

BUIZILLA:
Cramer's Custom Canvas in Pawcatuck, CT did the canvas. I have to say they did an incredible job. I was blown away. Yes there is bottom paint on it. I'm not sure what price to ask. What's your offer?

No, When Performer started they Used Molds they Bought from Donzi, Formula & others. It Looks Like a Formula-But It's made by Performer.

MOP
09-22-2009, 10:06 PM
I am still going under the premise that it is in fact a 23 Formula which I believe it is, they were a very good sea boat with the ride of a much larger boat. More then once I have said I missed mine.

Phil

catch 22
09-23-2009, 07:38 AM
No, When Performer started they Used Molds they Bought from Donzi, Formula & others. It Looks Like a Formula-But It's made by Performer.
Not sure what year this was (early 80's) my dad had this 18ft. cc Performer. Splash of a Donzi if I had to guess.

BUIZILLA
09-23-2009, 12:03 PM
i'd own that today in a heartbeat..... where can I find one? anywhere in the country?... I want it... :shades:

BUIZILLA
09-23-2009, 01:54 PM
I want one... :)

BlownCrewCab
09-23-2009, 02:19 PM
I want one... :)

I'm kinda likin that also....

BUIZILLA
09-23-2009, 02:47 PM
someone find me one... stat

that a 225 PM will bolt up to

catch 22
09-23-2009, 10:27 PM
Rough Water made it also...
74 MPH with a XR150, CLE, two up and full fuel.. Chine walked at 71 but easily driven through...
This was my rough water back in the day. It was a cool boat. They did make a cc.

BlownCrewCab
09-24-2009, 07:11 AM
This was my rough water back in the day. It was a cool boat. They did make a cc.

We had that Exact Boat When I was a Kid, It was Made By Manta, It was Red and white...and It could fly as high as the 2nd Level of the Nikko Cruise Lines. We would be eye to eye with the 2nd Level passangers when jumping their wake.