PDA

View Full Version : Anchor Shade

VetteLT193
09-01-2009, 09:50 AM
I was about to buy an anchor shade for the sand bar, then read the reviews on them (Pretty poor). What does everyone think about them here? My brother had one for years and it was fine but maybe the quality has gotten worse?

I also read about the Lost Bwana tops but they are sold out until Spring 2010 so that won't solve my current problem unless they are for sale somewhere else?

Any other alternatives? I'm planning on a Bimini long term. I figured an anchor shade would work for now and later for the bow while at the sand bar. I need to keep a place shaded for the kids to cool off, sleep, etc.

Morgan's Cloud
09-01-2009, 10:27 AM
I picked one up at the MIBS in '93 , virtually the same month they were introduced to the public. the idea is good , but in real life it just doesn't play out as well as a bimini. The straps to anchor the thing down are moderately annoying , but nowhere near as much as having the damn pole in the middle of the boat !

Although it did come in handy when I was doing my 5 year resto, I never really got as much use out of mine as I should have .

But you gotta have somewhere cool on the boat to go , out of the burning sun .. My tolerance for it grows smaller every year .

VetteLT193
09-01-2009, 10:31 AM
I definitely know this is a 'patch' to the problem. I figured long term I can use it on the bow. I'm thinking even short term the bow might be the spot for it... hang out up there if you need the break, in the back if you want sun. The mid-cabin is great for the kids and has lots of air flow but it seems the sun is always coming in somewhere.

I've also been eye-balling a few of those DC Air conditioners :bonk:

mrfixxall
09-01-2009, 11:04 AM
Build your own:) Thats what im going to do,all you nees is a tubing bender and get some stainless steel hardware and tubing them after your done making the frame take it to your local canves shop and they can make the top for you..my guy told me 200 bucks to make the canves for it..

http://www.foreandaftmarine.com/biminitopHARDWARE.htm

RedDog
09-01-2009, 11:05 AM
I use an Anchor Shade in my 22 from time-to-time. No problems with it.

Bobby D
09-01-2009, 11:41 AM
I used an Anchor Shade for about 5 years on my 16 and now on my 18 and have had no problems with it and the quality is good. Comes in handy on the very hot and humid days and the sun screen is on bypass, it’s nice to get out of the sun for a while and cool off. Can be a PITA when the river gets stirred up because they will want to rock back and forth, however I found that when you keep it setup and adjusted as low a possible its not that bad

VetteLT193
09-01-2009, 12:15 PM
Ok... I'm feeling better about it now. Maybe the people that post reviews on Overtons are not too bright. :boggled:

mrfixxall
09-01-2009, 12:47 PM
Dum chit me:bonk: i thought we were talking bimini tops..

VetteLT193
09-01-2009, 01:02 PM
Dum chit me:bonk: i thought we were talking bimini tops..

soon enough... next season maybe :wink:

justleft
09-01-2009, 01:43 PM
I have one in my 22c. I just tie the lines to the side rails.

Works good but you can still feel the heat under it.

Also will not work for any speed above an idle.

show-n-go h2o
09-03-2009, 06:23 PM
I have one for my 28, It works out well. the pole does get in the way but other than that i have no complaints.