PDA

View Full Version : Early 18'Classic Race Boat Found ! ?

silverghost
08-31-2009, 09:25 PM
I just found, and bought what I believe is a Donzi 18' classic Race Boat! It still has the Donzi foil ID tag located on the benchseat.
This boat has a cockpit that is 63 1/2" wide by ONLY 35 1/2" from the dash to rear edge of cockpit!
The unusually long sleek front deck is 11' 1" from the bow tip (rubrail is now missing) to the front cockpit/dash edge.
This boat only has a benchseat in this unusually small cockpit!
The single engine hatch, with Donzi center latch knob, has four air vent holes (air scoops now missing)with no rectangular vent in the stern deck area. 1968 ?
The aft part of this Donzi hull is of normal early 18C configuration.(post barrelback style)
The drive bellhousing has the T-Bird Holman-Moody tag. (Engine long gone) & Volvo oudrive.
This boat was found sitting in a NJ boatyard & has been outside for 25+ years. Most of the deck hardware+ rigging has been stolen over the years.
A fellow named Bobby from Northfield NJ is selling it.
It is advertized all over the web on performance boating forums & craigslist adverts etc.
Now my question.
What was this boat in it's former glory?
Was this a race boat?
Was it a special-built gentleman's racer?
There is evidence that very early in it's life , or during initial building, the normal 18c dash & cockpit position was changed to it's present configuration. This was very well done indeed!
I have to wonder how the weight shift aft might have changed the boat ride level as compared to an 18C 2+3
The look of the small racing style cockpit & benchseat with it's unusually long front deck is stunning despite it's present dirty, & now almost stripped hull!
Has anyone ever seen a similar 18?
Who do you think made the race style cockpit changes? Donzi? (unlikely) or an early owner? What sort or race class might this boat have competed in? How can I possibly trace this boat's history? The foil seat-back tag is there~but would possibly take a forensic expert to read the faded number data. There are some faintly visable numbers.
Now I know what you are thinking!
Show us pictures and we will believe you!
Well I now own the boat & have digital pictures but I am having trouble posting them here~Can anyone help me do this photo posting as I want you to see this Donzi 18 for yourself!
I am not a big computer guy!
.This is my first project Donzi.
Because of it's unusual cockpit configuration I could not just let her sit in that boatyard & possibly be cut-up soon by a cainsaw! The former owner (25+ years), knows very little of the boat's former history, and did nothing over his ownership with ths boat;, and the boatyard owner had thretened to cut her up after Labor Day !
I asked a vague quetion about benchseat classic 18' Donzi in another ealier forum post here before I bought this boat on Sat.
I did not wish to say too much at that time as I was trying to make a deal to buy this unusual boat.
I now know a forum member, Lenny, has built a modern benchseat only Donzi Classic.
BUT~ this boat has what I consider to be a 60s period-built small race cockpit.
Stay tuned for digital photos!
Any info. or help with this project Donzi 18 would be greatly appreciated!
I now need lots of Donzi 18C rigging & deck hardware!
Brad Hunter (New Donzi Owner & Forum Member)
silverghost1926@msn.com
215 947 4676 (PA home)
215 479 6667 (Cellphone)
609 399 4494 (Ocean City NJ)

MOP
08-31-2009, 09:42 PM
Pictures!!!

silverghost
08-31-2009, 11:41 PM
Is there anyone here who I can simply email the digital photos to who can then better post them here on this thread?
I do not know how to do photo attachments on forum postings~ I can however email photos!
Again~ I am not much of a computer guy!
I guess I am living in the past!
BRAD

Rob M
09-01-2009, 01:44 AM
Hi Brad:
It is relatively easy to upload photos:
1.) When you are composing a new message...scroll down to Additional Options. In the second box you will see the option to Attach Files. Click on the Manage Attachments button.
2.) This will open a menu with "Upload file from your computer" at the top and a series of "Browse" buttons at the side.
3.) Click on a Browse button, which will open the file directory on your computer to search for the picture files you want to upload.
4.) Cursor over the picture you want to upload and click on Open.
5.) You can repeat this multiple times for added pictures by using the extra Browse buttons.
6.) Once you have selected the pictures to upload click the Upload button.
7.) You will see a message that says "Uploading file(s) please wait".
8.) Once successfully uploaded you will be able to see "Current Attachments" which displays the file name of your uploaded file.
9.) Close the window when you are done.
Note: You can preview your post to see that the picture files are attached (note it will display file name, not the picture itself).
10.) Once you are ready to post your submission just submit reply.
The pictures should be visible to anyone - including yourself who clicks on your post.
Hope it works - it does for me - we all want to see this find!

Rob

Donzi_Dude
09-01-2009, 04:37 AM
sounds like a Hornet mate. dont really sound like a race boat.

of couse they are going to make you show them your foil tag!

:wink:

Scott Pearson
09-01-2009, 06:28 AM
Does it look like this?

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=465&d=1076935451

BERTRAM BOY
09-01-2009, 07:41 AM
What is the number on the Holman-Moody tag?

Christian
09-01-2009, 08:29 AM
if this is the boat from somers point nj it is a splice and cut and put back together...not an 18 race boat... there werent any...
If it is indeed the SP boat it can be found on craigslist...the owner said he was going to loose storage after labor day...story here sounds same

BERTRAM BOY
09-01-2009, 09:29 AM
ummm hornets were raced mate

Ummm, they sure were.

gold-n-rod
09-01-2009, 09:54 AM
if this is the boat from somers point nj it is a splice and cut and put back together...not an 18 race boat... there werent any...
If it is indeed the SP boat it can be found on craigslist...the owner said he was going to loose storage after labor day...story here sounds same

I heard Monza did the mods. I believe it's called a Hornonza. The foil tag should prove it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shocking:

Scott Pearson
09-01-2009, 09:56 AM
No thats some funny s**t:popcorn:

Lenny
09-01-2009, 10:17 AM
Comon', pics please. :yes:

If you can't figure out how to do it, email 'em to me at leonard.green@telus.com and I will get em put up for you.

asap :D

Sweet Cheekz
09-01-2009, 01:36 PM
I heard Monza did the mods. I believe it's called a Hornonza. The foil tag should prove it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shocking:

Has anyone ever seen a minxonza?

Donzi_Dude
09-01-2009, 03:35 PM
ummm hornets were raced mate

did i even say they where not?

it seems he was trying to make the connection between it being a bench seat and a race boat.

Dredgeking
09-01-2009, 03:40 PM
Soooooooo..................
We're still waiting for pics?

Damn, the net can be slow sometimes.

silverghost
09-01-2009, 05:31 PM
Christian you are correct~ It is the Somers Point Boat!
A friend was looking for a neat project and spotted this sad & unusual boat at the Rt 9 boatyard! It was listed as a 16~ But in fact is an 18!
I inspected this boat for him~ It needs everything!
When my friend Jim passed on buying this boat I thought I would make an offer on her myself!
I was a bit puzzled by the very small cockpit and possibly thought it was some sort of older converted race boat!
Funny thing here is I think I remember seeing this exact Donzi in Ocean City in this configuration in the early 70s! It must have been converted early in it's life!
Knowing now what it really is I think it would make a great project for me to finish.
I see now that Lenny has done a simiar project on an X18 ; & possibly others!
I must talk to him about this project!
I like the benchseat look of the very small cockpit!
My only concern is the new balance of the boat & it's ability to plane properly with the driving position & weight shift aft.
Possibly a shift in the gas tank position could help restore proper balance.
What does this great Donzi group think about this balance issue?
I plan on restoring & updating her and getting her back in the water again!
This boat came very close to seeing the chainsaw !
I made the owner Bobby from Northfield NJ an offer that he could not refuse!
He had the boat advertized all over the web on various boating forums & craigslist etc. He obtained a legal New Jersey title for the boat just weeks before I bought it .
All the deck hardware & rigging is now long gone.
Now I am looking for all the proper Donzi Deck hardware.
4 clamshell vents
2 lifting rings & bezels
Hatch hinges & "Donzi" latch assembly
both Nav Lights
passenger grab bar
gauge panel & gauges
Fuel tank fill
original style rubrail
Donzi Logo Decals Etc.
Does anyone have any engine/ drive ideas? Should I keep the old Volvo O/D?
What about engine repower?
Small block Chevy or Ford to go with the old Holman-Moody drive?
I guess you would say I plan a resto-mod
At the very least another old Donzi 18 has been saved.
I am very excited about this new project Donzi.
I will get some photos posted soon somehow.for all to see this project Donzi with the "Benchseat" cockpit.
It will be a labor of love.
Brad Hunter

BigGrizzly
09-01-2009, 05:41 PM
It almost sounds like the boat we made in the late 1960s. I never found out what happened to it. If it is that one it had verious fords and a fuelie vet engine in it once.

Christian
09-01-2009, 10:16 PM
Christian you are correct~ It is the Somers Point Boat!
A friend was looking for a neat project and spotted this sad & unusual boat at the Rt 9 boatyard! It was listed as a 16~ But in fact is an 18!
I inspected this boat for him~ It needs everything!
When my friend Jim passed on buying this boat I thought I would make an offer on her myself!
I was a bit puzzled by the very small cockpit and possibly thought it was some sort of older converted race boat!
Funny thing here is I think I remember seeing this exact Donzi in Ocean City in this configuration in the early 70s! It must have been converted early in it's life!
Knowing now what it really is I think it would make a great project for me to finish.
I see now that Lenny has done a simiar project on an X18 ; & possibly others!
I must talk to him about this project!
I like the benchseat look of the very small cockpit!
My only concern is the new balance of the boat & it's ability to plane properly with the driving position & weight shift aft.
Possibly a shift in the gas tank position could help restore proper balance.
What does this great Donzi group think about this balance issue?
I plan on restoring & updating her and getting her back in the water again!
This boat came very close to seeing the chainsaw !
I made the owners an offer that they could not refuse!
All the deck hardware & rigging is now long gone.
Now I am looking for all the proper Donzi Deck hardware.
4 clamshell vents
2 lifting rings & bezels
Hatch hinges & "Donzi" latch assembly
both Nav Lights
passenger grab bar
gauge panel & gauges
Fuel tank fill
original style rubrail
Donzi Logo Decals Etc.
Does anyone have any engine/ drive ideas? Should I keep the old Volvo O/D?
What about engine repower?
Small block Chevy or Ford to go with the old Holman-Moody drive?
I guess you would say I plan a resto-mod
At the very least another old Donzi 18 has been saved.
I am very excited about this new project Donzi.
I will get some photos posted soon somehow.for all to see this project Donzi with the "Benchseat" cockpit.
It will be a labor of love.
Brad Hunter

Good to know
It is not a Donzi race boat from the factory, i looked the boat over and it seems like they did do an ok splice. It just needs a little to get it 100% right on. Its a great idea, if i had the time i would have considered it u def have a unique project. If you need any help at all i am local and our family is a donzi classic owners. I also have some additional info on the 18s.

i think the boat would do very well with a warm small block in the 500-600 hp range and a bravo drive with level and long trim tabs. might want to consider an ITS system or stand off. I be happy to help or answer any questions you may have

Christian
cdelcollo@gmail.com

Lenny
09-02-2009, 01:18 AM
Don't worry about the weight aft. Leave the tank. Put a 12" standoff box and a bravo on it. 2" shortie, 12" LONG tabs.

Fly it...

:D

Great project. A pic would sure be nice :bonk:

:)

silverghost
09-08-2009, 06:15 PM
Ok ~ I finally got the boat back to my PA. home from NJ.
I will be emailing my photos for posting soon!
Here are the #s from the old Holman~Moody drive tag on HM bellhousing.
Who here can de-code them?
Does this give an approx engine build date?

D2 HM-3144-1RW I/O
CPM-235B-4V-C9HM-ME1
1-1 10*

Any help appreciated!
Brad Hunter

BERTRAM BOY
09-08-2009, 06:28 PM
Ok ~ I finally got the boat back to my PA. home from NJ.
I will be emailing my photos for posting soon!
Here are the #s from the old Holman~Moody drive tag on HM bellhousing.
Who here can de-code them?
Does this give an approx engine build date?

D2 HM-3144-1RW I/O
CPM-235B-4V-C9HM-ME1
1-1 10*

Any help appreciated!
Brad Hunter

It looks like the engine is from 1972.

BigGrizzly
09-09-2009, 10:07 AM
Wherrre are the pictures posted.

silverghost
09-09-2009, 10:16 AM
As you can see from the photos of my project "Benchseat 18" just posted the deck seems to have been faired with Bondo which is now shrinking and full of cracks.
I must now grind away this old Bondo and re-fair this deck etc.
Is there now a better product to use for this fairing ? Possibly a product that is less prone to shrinkage and the resulting cracking? Possibly something with fiberglass in it?
Or should I use polyester resin thickened with some sort of filler material ?
I want this deck job to last!
I am also toying with the idea of adding a foreward hatch with another small seating area in front of the main cockpit. Any good ideas from forum members on this idea?
Brad Hunter

BigGrizzly
09-09-2009, 10:16 AM
Looks like the one we did but ours was red. Not the same boat.

BlownCrewCab
09-09-2009, 10:29 AM
Whoa, Thats Bad Azz, that would make a Man want to build another Killer SmallBock and start accumulating some parts.....Make a Mold off thing would ya....Thats Very Cool.

BlownCrewCab
09-09-2009, 10:36 AM
As you can see from the photos of my project "Benchseat 18" just posted the deck seems to have been faired with Bondo which is now shrinking and full of cracks.
I must now grind away this old Bondo and re-fair this deck etc.
Is there now a better product to use for this fairing ? Possibly a product that is less prone to shrinkage and the resulting cracking? Possibly something with fiberglass in it?
Or should I use polyester resin thickened with some sort of filler material ?
I want this deck job to last!
I am also toying with the idea of adding a foreward hatch with another small seating area in front of the main cockpit. Any good ideas from forum members on this idea?
Brad Hunter

If you have to have any kind of filler thicker than 1/8" then you need to Glass over it. A Good Product to use is "Evercoat Formula 27" It go's on and everything just like bondo but becomes tougher like marine tex, you can Gel or paint over it since it doesn't end up porous like bondo.

I think the boat is too small to add front seating, Leave it like it is..........

Lenny
09-09-2009, 05:03 PM
Very cool Brad. :yes: The only difference between mine and yours is mine is an "X-18" deck and I moved the rear of the cockpit forward 6" to create a larger/longer hatch. ( and balance )

C o c k pit ( mine, ) is 42" long.

silverghost
09-09-2009, 05:11 PM
Lenny: From what I have seen on this forum, in the short time I have been a member, I am sure your "Benchseat" conversion was a much higher quality job !
You should come down here to PA and make a mold of my deck for future reproduction use.
Your reproduction X18 photos on this forum are simply stunnng!
I am thinking of making several templates (5-6) of the curvature under the deck so that I can cut-out some wood or composite deck supports on the old bandsaw!
Most of my boating is done in a fairly rough saltwater bay (Great Egg Harbour Bay Ocean City NJ)
& I am a big 250lb guy so I want a stable deck structure!
I do not want cracks to appear after I Imron the deck!
I really don't know how this conversion was put-together by some former owner!
I guess I will find out soon enough when I pop-off the deck to check coreing and replace the gas tank !
Knowing how I usually work I will most likely beef-up the deck panels splice areas!
I can then check & replace or repair the transom & stringers at this time also!
My only concern is how the existing cockpit mods will effect the riding balance of this boat!
I don't want to have to do what my Dad says I might end up doing as a Band-Aid.
"You mght have to place several 100lb sand bags up in the bow to rebalance the running plane attitude of the boat!"
A buddy suggested a 100 lb weight on a feed-screw under the deck to move the weight fore and aft with a "Trim-Control_Crank" on the dash!
OH NO!
Where do they come-up with these crazy engineering ideas?
Brad Hunter

mrfixxall
09-09-2009, 05:21 PM
Lenny: From what I have seen on this forum, in the short time I have been a member, I am sure your "Benchseat" conversion was a much higher quality job !
You should come down here to PA and make a mold of my deck for future reproduction use.
Your reproduction X18 photos on this forum are simply stunnng!
Brad Hunter

Looks cool!! or cut open the front and make a smaller version of the critter..now that would look cool:wink:

silverghost
09-11-2009, 01:32 PM
looking at my project photos posted~
Which Volvo Penta outdrive model # do I have on this project Donzi C 18 ?
How do I tell which drive ratio this unit is?
Not sure but I suspect it might be the boat's original Volvo Drive?
You never know~ as people change & swap these drives and parts around throughout the years!
I am not a Volvo expert?
But~
I'm sure most of the forum members know much more than I about these early Volvo I/O drives !

The tag is now missing on the shift cover!
Volvo Penta tag on the top drive gearcase #
PZ NR 2730885
Ratio ???
HM Ford engine now missing!
Tag on HM bellhousing
D2HM-3144-1RW I/O
CPM-235B-4V-C9HM-ME1
1-1 10*

BERTRAM BOY
09-11-2009, 01:42 PM
1972 235hp Holman-Moody

BigGrizzly
09-11-2009, 02:22 PM
The drive looks like a 270.

Rob M
09-13-2009, 06:52 AM
Looks like another one exists....

BUIZILLA
09-13-2009, 07:14 AM
that's an X18 style deck...

very interesting..

silverghost
09-13-2009, 09:15 AM
Rob: Do you know any more about this boat you just posted? Where is it located? Do you know who owns this other "Benchseat 16" ?
I say 16 because of the instrument control panel.
It would be great to talk to him about boat balance etc.
He has some heavy duty trim tabs on that boat!
With the weight shift aft I bet this boat needs them!
Looks like Lenny is not the only one building mods on X 18 Donzi 18s
Brad Hunter

silverghost
09-30-2009, 12:57 AM
I return home from an extended summer long vacation in Ocean City NJ next week!
Soon back to the real world.
I plan to make a jig support rig for the deck & soon pop-off-the-deck.
Curious to see how well the cockpit splice job was done?
I will most likely re-enforce the splice areas.
I will be looking at the deck core which looks soft & punkey in spots. I will have to possibly re-core in some areas!
Should I use Balsa or newer composite material?
Should I recore entire deck?
Would like to hear from others who have already done this re-coring job.
I may also look into adding some support structure under this now long & spliced deck.. I don't want any future cracks at splices.
Any ideas here ?
Should I build frames like that used on wood decked boats?
Might be a tough scribe job in very tight conditions to get the frames to fit correctly!
How far apart should I space added deck frames?
How should I attach frames to hull itself?
At this time I will also check & repair/replace transom wood & aft engine stringers as necessary
Also a new possibly expanded capacity gas tank is on my list.
Your typical 40 y/o Donzi restoration job here.
What about all that old foam?
Now the big question~
What about a new power plant?
What type of engine?
Do I stay with a SB Ford & the Holman-Moody theme?
Or is it better to go SB Chevy?
Do I retain the old Volvo 270?
I would like power trim because of the weight shift of the bench seat seating now aft .
I am concerned about balance of plane.
Any 270-280 T trim transom units or complete drive packages out there?
OR~
Do do I spring for a newer Bravo drive $$ ?
An older Alpha?
A newer Volvo drive?
What about a Duo-prop $$$ ?
I could also possibly go with a Berkeley Jet pump set-up!
(My uncle had an X 18 Donzi Jet in the 70s ~
What a blast that fun boat was!
I always wanted my own Donzi Jet !
What are your opinions here?
I want this to be a very special & unusual project Donzi.
A true One-of-a-Kind Donzi
The Benchseat C 18 Gentleman's Racer that Donzi never built~
But could have & should have !
Completely Impractical as a family speedboat ~
But Iots of FUN !

Thank's for your input & opinions !

BRAD HUNTER
215 947 4676 (Home)
215 479 6667 (cellphone)

Madcow
09-30-2009, 10:33 PM
Looks like a neat boat. Good luck with getting it back together. That seems like the perfect cockpit layout for a fast 18. I have learned with my 18 that anything over 60 MPH is just not fun for the back seat passengers and over 70 is not fun for anyone but me.

silverghost
02-18-2011, 02:09 PM
Guys~~~
I am still around , as is my "Benchseat C 18" project~~~
I am still slowly working on my "Benchseat C 18" project I now call the "Yellowjacket" !
I got the idea from it's color and it's famous big brother the benchseat hornet .
It'been a bit cold here this winter in Pa. with lots of snow & ice. This has slowed my progress a bit .
I hope to have it complete & up-and-runnng later next Summer !

Photo Up-Date Comming Soon !

Has Lenny In Victoria B.C. Canada ever completed & delivered any of his great reproduction re-splashed & re-designed/ engineered Benchseat X 18 boats ?

I would love to own one of Lenny's great X Benchseats !

ALSO~~~
I am still in need of a Clamshell Deck Air Vent for my above project !

Brad Hunter
215 947 4676
silverghost1926@msn.com

Just Say N20
02-18-2011, 04:45 PM
Great to hear that you are still plugging away at the project. I must point out, that it would wonderful to see some pictures of it.

axelkloehn
05-31-2011, 01:47 AM
so sorry to hear of your loss, Brad.

Just Say N20
05-31-2011, 06:31 AM
I understand the emotions you have regarding the project.

A consideration; What would your dad want you to do?

silverghost
10-04-2012, 11:20 PM
This was my very first thread posted here on this fantastic Donzi website from way back in summer 2009.

A lot has happened since I first bought this old project.

Some good~~~Some very bad .

This summer I finally got my mind back into actually working on this Benchseat 18 project again after a very long delay.
Quite a bit of hull & deck glass repair and re-core work has been accomplished by me this summer & early fall.
The project has now moved inside to my natural gas heated home garage's Antique & Cassic car restoraton bay.
The boat hull is now sitting on a homebuilt custom shaped wooden cradle on top of my Rotary low rise car chassis lift.
I plan to plug-away at this project all winter long with no more long delays.

As Matty requested I will soon have some current up-to-date project progress photos to post here so you all can see, & compare, the project's before as found photos, already posted here earler in the late summer of 2009 on this thread, to the current fall 2012 mid restoration photos.
This is why I dragged-up this old thread from the Summer of 2009

Just Say N20
10-05-2012, 05:57 AM
Looking forward to the pictures!

Rob M
10-05-2012, 06:42 AM
Keep going SG! Your dad would be proud.

Rob

patricke
10-05-2012, 05:51 PM
^Ummm I just came across this thread and saw the post above, not knowing what the heck this character was talking about I dug around a bit....This F430 guy is pretty laughable.

Anyway, great project, great story behind your Hornet, and +1 in anticipation of seeing this sweet thing put together brother. Good luck Brad!

-Patrick

Pismo
10-05-2012, 06:44 PM
Wtf?

jl1962
10-05-2012, 06:55 PM
I sold a prop to SG last month.

Absolutely no problems.

It's all good.

Dude - don't be a hater.

SG - Make w/ the pictures ;)

Just Say N20
10-05-2012, 07:02 PM
Hey F430, not sure who you are, or why you have so much anger towards another member, but if you spend a little time on this board you will get a flavor for the type of board this is.

I ask that you tone things down, and don't post harshly about other board members. If you have an issue with someone, send them a PM.

bertsboat
10-05-2012, 09:40 PM
I have found that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is easy and fun.

dsparis
10-06-2012, 03:51 AM
:popcorn:

Just Say N20
10-06-2012, 10:42 AM
Generally, when I see a post that is done in bold and mostly capital letters, I ingnore it. I ignored my own guideline, which has servered to reinforce why I had the guideline in the first place.

Life is a "lesson factory."

joseph m. hahnl
10-06-2012, 12:43 PM
Mean while back at the hall of justice, Silver Ghost and F430 work feavorishly to create pandamonium on the Donzi net, When all of a sudden the trouble alert goes off. Holey bench seat 18, Bat Man! it's more usless arguing about nothing worthy of a performance boat site. Precisely Robin, I'll use the Bat eraser to rid us of the drama queens persistant bickering.

http://stewscustoms.dchallofjustice.com/index/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/theHALL_1.jpg

Conquistador_del_mar
10-06-2012, 01:35 PM
Joseph, that is both funny and germane. Bill

OFFSHORE GINGER
10-06-2012, 03:27 PM
FIXX , in regards to your last post ~ :p why not you seem to do it all the time. :spit:

biggiefl
10-07-2012, 08:10 AM
Wjatever with the BS...where are the pics?