PDA

View Full Version : crusader 4500 v drive (check your attics)

ogboys
08-31-2009, 08:48 PM
i am looking for a crusader 4500 v drive with a gear ratio of 1.77
my case is leaking cooling water so i will settle for a case only
it is for the starboard engine

mike 203 561 0748 or email ogboys@optonline,net

Ghost
08-31-2009, 10:24 PM
I've done a lot of looking on this subject in the last couple of months. The only place I have found anyone selling these, or parts for these, is here:

http://www.marine-engine-parts.com/Transmissioncrusader.html

You probably found them already. Spendy!

Everyone else I ran into was in classified ads looking for them, not selling anything.

However, there are marine transmission shops around. I suppose you could call some of them to see if they have anything lying around, or any leads on where to look. Might find a case that way especially.

I think you'll find everything is symmetric, so left and right don't matter as well as top and bottom, and some people used these as overdrives. It is possible you might run into one that is your same ratio, essentially just flipped upside down. (Though with a 1.77, maybe that is less likely than with mine, which are 1.151:1). I just reconfigured mine as reduction gears a few weeks ago--they had been accidentally installed as overdrives during a restoration.)

Also, just curious, can ask what sort of boat you have? (I have a Nova Marine 24.)

Good luck with it,

Mike

ogboys
09-01-2009, 11:10 PM
i have a 1971 28 ft seabird
its a bertram style boat
mike

ogboys
09-01-2009, 11:13 PM
also i had already contacted the guy whose link you gave me
he wished he had a couple hundred more but he is out of them
i spoke to a guy in arizona today and he said there may be some around the great lakes region
im going to start looking in the bilges of old boats
mike

Craig S
09-02-2009, 11:08 AM
I bought seals from that guy...had to throw them away. apparently there are big and small v-drives, and they all look alike. Neither he nor I knew that.

ogboys
09-02-2009, 09:37 PM
i am told by several guys that there may be some of those drives in the great lakes area
my saga continues
mike

smidgen too
09-02-2009, 11:00 PM
i am told by several guys that there may be some of those drives in the great lakes area
my saga continues
mike

This my be the place your looking for here in Michigan. Earl the pearl has everything not just old Chris Craft stuff.
http://www.marine-sales.com/contact.html

I had a set rebuilt for my brothers 28' Donzi Sportman by a shop in Detroit 10+ years ago, I will see if they are still around.

ogboys
09-04-2009, 03:38 PM
thanks i emailed him with a part request
mike

rustnrot
09-05-2009, 08:23 AM
A few years ago I asked Jerrys Marine about these when I had to get seals for the smaller Crusader v drive. They told me they had several Crusaders in stock -- I have no idea of sizes or ratios that is what they said.

www.jerrysmarine.com you may need a wholesale account to buy from them but there are plenty of members here who have one. Call the FL one first.

smidgen too
09-05-2009, 08:46 AM
This my be the place your looking for here in Michigan. Earl the pearl has everything not just old Chris Craft stuff.
http://www.marine-sales.com/contact.html

I had a set rebuilt for my brothers 28' Donzi Sportman by a shop in Detroit 10+ years ago, I will see if they are still around.

Here is the shop in Detroit that did the rebuild, don't know if they still do rebuilds ??? </SPAN>
Precision Marine Incorporated

(313) 821-1358

WA-LO
09-06-2009, 08:04 PM
Call Bergeron engineering in Mesa he will have what you need in stock, I have
sent him 2 with 1:77 ratio and I wouold say he still has them. Tell him
John Shahbas told you to call him.

Phil
480-834-1531

ogboys
09-07-2009, 09:41 PM
thanks guys for the info