PDA

View Full Version : Fogduckers' boat can't handle the 29 Roadtrip...

Lenny
08-31-2009, 08:45 AM
Jeremy and Jackie came over yesterday. He had the 29 on. Poor old Scorpion didn't have the jam to spin it :( 3900-4000 was about it. Down from about 5200.

65 was about it too, far cry from that elusive 77. Time for something smaller. Sure did bite hard tho and throttle back was like putting on the brakes. :eek:

Nice day for prop testing Jeremy :)

...next... :D

fogducker III
08-31-2009, 10:21 AM
Jeremy and Jackie came over yesterday. He had the 29 on. Poor old Scorpion didn't have the jam to spin it :( 3900-4000 was about it. Down from about 5200.

65 was about it too, far cry from that elusive 77. Time for something smaller. Sure did bite hard tho and throttle back was like putting on the brakes. :eek:

Nice day for prop testing Jeremy :)

...next... :D

I sure did like the way the prop felt, but alas......no RPM's....:boggled:

Did you have fun driving my boat Lenny? A far cry from the black 25hp eh???:wink:

Nice pic BTW........:cool!:

mrfixxall
08-31-2009, 10:31 AM
I sure did like the way the prop felt, but alas......no RPM's....:boggled:

Did you have fun driving my boat Lenny? A far cry from the black 25hp eh???:wink:

Nice pic BTW........:cool!:

Time for a whipple:) mabe you can get 650hp monster too,make sure the whipple was built on a tuesday:kingme:

fogducker III
08-31-2009, 12:06 PM
Time for a whipple:) mabe you can get 650hp monster too,make sure the whipple was built on a tuesday:kingme:

I don't believe Whipple makes a unit for the Scorpion......:confused:

If I want more power I think I would go to one of the new GM LSA I think they are called? 540hp out of the box............:wink:

The Hedgehog
08-31-2009, 12:30 PM

If I want more power I think I would go to one of the new GM LSA I think they are called? 540hp out of the box............:wink:

They did. It used a 2.3 Litre blower. Dustin Whipple said it was good for 525hp in a Scorp. It is no longer avail but a 6.2 setup could be modified.

I would lean toward that LSA setup. I want to see someone do that.

blackhawk
08-31-2009, 12:33 PM
29 is A LOT of prop to swing for a stocker. I like your thinking, build the motor around the prop! :yes:

fogducker III
08-31-2009, 12:35 PM
They did. It used a 2.3 Litre blower. Dustin Whipple said it was good for 525hp in a Scorp. It is no longer avail but a 6.2 setup could be modified.

I would lean toward that LSA setup. I want to see someone do that.

I spoke to Dustin a while back by phone, to blow the Scorpion would be a hassle and big $$$...

Does anybody know how much a COMPLETE GM LSA costs and where is the best place to get one? I feel a winter project coming on...........:yes::bonk::wrench:

The Hedgehog
08-31-2009, 12:38 PM
I spoke to Dustin a while back by phone, to blow the Scorpion would be a hassle and big $$$...

Does anybody know how much a COMPLETE GM LSA costs and where is the best place to get one? I feel a winter project coming on...........:yes::bonk::wrench:

For the cost differential, you would be better to go LSA and had a fresh engine. I though that Harbormaster's group did those.

fogducker III
08-31-2009, 01:03 PM
For the cost differential, you would be better to go LSA and had a fresh engine. I though that Harbormaster's group did those.

Your right, I knew I saw a post about them somewhere, Scott, can you PM me a price for a complete motor?

mike o
08-31-2009, 01:51 PM
:kingme:....I have a perfect Laser II 25p you can borrow if ya want to pay the shipping out and back........ since it - was your B day. I sold the 16 with the 23P laser II it came with. All I got left is Dr. Dans cooler and the 25p for now.:eek:

BUIZILLA
08-31-2009, 01:52 PM
a 29????
did you REALLY think it would? :nilly:

fogducker III
08-31-2009, 01:59 PM
a 29????
did you REALLY think it would? :nilly:

I believe it was re-worked to a 28P and also had some metal removed.......:wink:

I was not sure if it would work or not, it was worth a try, I should be able to sell it locally, there are a few boats around here that it would work on.... what I really need is a labbed Mirage Plus 27P, that is the prop I hit 77mph with, but once I tried it the owner didn't want to sell it.....

Thanks for the offer Mike, I have tried a 25P, works fine, just need a little more........

mike o
08-31-2009, 02:00 PM
a 29????
did you REALLY think it would? :nilly:.....Now 2 :kingme:

mrfixxall
08-31-2009, 02:32 PM
just need a little more........

Keep the prop and add this:)

http://www.barrygrant.com/nitrous/default.aspx?page=98

roadtrip se
08-31-2009, 02:54 PM
Steve, aka Osur866, is turning the twin to this prop with a slight de-pitch to a 28 with a 6.2, a shortie, and SM exhaust well into the 70's.

My theory was Jeremey would have just the additional amount of punch with the Scorpion over the 6.2, with everything else being identical, to run the additional inch of pitch at 29.

Stranger things have happened.

Fog, I swear Steve turned this prop harder than you just did in testing, according to his reports back to me. I could be mistaken, but something ain't right here. I have slept since he and I talked about this thing, but I would check in with him.

As for the doubters here, I would have never guessed it had I not seen it for myself on Steve's boat this year at AOTH.
This is HUGE pitch for an 18 and it ran great on that boat!

fogducker III
08-31-2009, 03:04 PM
I can spin the prop, it is very quick and smooth up out of the hole and runs well, just couldn't get it past 4000rpm........even Lenny tried it, we trimmed as high as we could but no more rpm's....not a biggie, just need to find that illusive labbed 27P....

Steve, aka Osur866, is turning the twin to this prop with a slight de-pitch to a 28 with a 6.2, a shortie, and SM exhaust well into the 70's.

My theory was Jeremey would have just the additional amount of punch with the Scorpion over the 6.2, with everything else being identical, to run the additional inch of pitch at 29.

Stranger things have happened.

Fog, I swear Steve turned this prop harder than you just did in testing, according to his reports back to me. I could be mistaken, but something ain't right here. I have slept since he and I talked about this thing, but I would check in with him.

As for the doubters here, I would have never guessed it had I not seen it for myself on Steve's boat this year at AOTH.
This is HUGE pitch for an 18 and it ran great on that boat!

The Hedgehog
08-31-2009, 03:18 PM
I don't remember if you are running a Shorty

fogducker III
08-31-2009, 03:21 PM
I don't remember if you are running a Shorty

Yes I am, got it from the same place as the prop.....:wink:

osur866
08-31-2009, 03:26 PM
Yes I turned this prop at 4600 and gave me 71, the sister prop I just ran yesterday at LOTO, turned it 5000 and netted me 72.7, I have turned the sister to 5100 and got around 73.3, also for chits and grins put a 25p m+ back on ran 70 on the limiter hard 5350rpms, however one thing to consider here is I'm running 1.65's in my bravo upper. I loved the way the prop handled, the one you have J, but was a tad too much, that would be a perfect prop for when I put about 150 more hp in the boat :wink:, Steve

VetteLT193
08-31-2009, 03:29 PM
... however one thing to consider here is I'm running 1.65's in my bravo upper. ...

FWIW: Mathematically it works out to 2" of prop difference between 1.5 and 1.65

I know that difference well now :bonk:

Lenny
08-31-2009, 04:26 PM
FWIW: Mathematically it works out to 2" of prop difference between 1.5 and 1.65

I know that difference well now :bonk:

Well, there you go Jeremy, that's the difference :yes: You got 1:50's, Steve, 1:65's.

I will say, I did not like coming off of WOT and the introduction of chine walk and hard left and right chine slapping :eek:

I know you have hydraulic steering out back, but, there is play in it for some reason, ( definately a little left to right slop ) and when you "put the brakes on" in this boat it gets a bit interesting. The bow lift is fine ( not as much as I would like, or have in mine ) but there is an introduction to an interesting ride and when correcting, you immediately realize the play.

Time to bleed the steering system and get a Labbed Mirage+ 27." :)

Thanks, that was a fun afternoon.

p.s. Your boat is WAAAAYYYY to QUIET. Get rid of the mufflers :yes:

You sounded "civil" when you left at 8pm.

osur866
08-31-2009, 04:35 PM
Lenny, mine kinda does that to when coming off WOT too quicklly it will roll to the starboard side and induce a lil chine walk, I've found when coming off WOT to sightly trim down and ease off the throttle all in the same motion tends to overcome this. Steve

Lenny
08-31-2009, 05:31 PM
Lenny, mine kinda does that to when coming off WOT too quicklly it will roll to the starboard side and induce a lil chine walk, I've found when coming off WOT to sightly trim down and ease off the throttle all in the same motion tends to overcome this. Steve

Thanx Steve :yes: The ride is definately different than the X or LE. The LE is almost a hands off the wheel boat with little to NO chine walk even at WOT and slowing down. Different X dim, prop and drive mind you.

joseph m. hahnl
08-31-2009, 05:52 PM

http://donzi28zx.ods.org:8000/Donzi_Engines_3DN.jpg

osur866
08-31-2009, 06:55 PM
Not to hi jack but a side note, whats pretty neat is the 3650 rpm cruise at 52 mph, I can't even believe the numbers when I run them its like .007% slip but its what it does :), makes it very nice on the fuel useage, Steve

fogducker III
08-31-2009, 09:07 PM
http://donzi28zx.ods.org:8000/Donzi_Engines_3DN.jpg

I realize they use to make one, I was just pointing out they don't anymore.........:wink:

fogducker III
08-31-2009, 09:15 PM
Well, there you go Jeremy, that's the difference :yes: You got 1:50's, Steve, 1:65's.

I will say, I did not like coming off of WOT and the introduction of chine walk and hard left and right chine slapping :eek:

I know you have hydraulic steering out back, but, there is play in it for some reason, ( definately a little left to right slop ) and when you "put the brakes on" in this boat it gets a bit interesting. The bow lift is fine ( not as much as I would like, or have in mine ) but there is an introduction to an interesting ride and when correcting, you immediately realize the play.

Time to bleed the steering system and get a Labbed Mirage+ 27." :)

Thanks, that was a fun afternoon.

p.s. Your boat is WAAAAYYYY to QUIET. Get rid of the mufflers :yes:

You sounded "civil" when you left at 8pm.

It was fun Lenny, thank Deneen again for the grub....:yes:

The things you pointed out I don't really notice anymore, I drive it accordingly. Not sure if your aware but my steering is only the add-on assist and not full hydraulic, so it inheriently has a little play in the helm unit which is cable, that being said, it is night and day from what it was...:eek:

I agree the "mufflers" do quiet it down alot, it is nice at the marinas and docks but would be interesting to see what it sounds like au-natural.........:lookaroun: